1966 Cadillac Calais rear window chrome molding needed PLEEEASE
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Exctd mom
  • 1 Post By CaddyGas
  • 1 Post By jayoldschool
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1966 Cadillac Calais rear window chrome molding needed PLEEEASE in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am looking for somewhere to buy the rear window molding elbow piece forthe 1966 Calais I bought my son ...
    Exctd mom is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Post 1966 Cadillac Calais rear window chrome molding needed PLEEEASE

I am looking for somewhere to buy the rear window molding elbow piece forthe 1966 Calais I bought my son for Christmas. Being that this piece is missing, it leaks into trunk and back of the inside of the car. Can someone please help me and lead me in the direction of where I will be able to find this piece. The vehicle is being painted now and I cant redo the interior until I get this little elbow. Please help #mother of a soon to be surprised 16yr old son, whom I will mention is very resposible and prob going to fall out Christmas morning!!!! Thanks for your help in advance
    talismandave likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 1966 Cadillac Calais rear window chrome molding needed PLEEEASE

Check wrecking yards, maybe opgi has that piece they have some not all. The window might need to be resealed, and check the trunk it might need new weatherstripping, but if it's fine yeah it's getting through the window.

A 66 caddy for Christmas, don't think in 20 years that will be topped, maybe his whole life.
    CADforce69 likes this.

scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

I will sell you mine! I'm going to try and get rid of the chrome for a typical rubber weather stripping if it works I would sell it to you they are already off the car just need to get the rubber moulding from napa

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

It's not leaking because the molding is missing. The molding is simply cosmetic. It's leaking because the sheetmetal under the molding is rotted out, allowing water to get through into the trunk. Window needs to come out, channel needs to be cleaned to asses repair. Best case? Pinholes that can simply be sealed with fresh window urethane. They often need welding, though. Yes, I've been through this personally.

DevilleHimself is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Do 65-68 cads have a rubber rear window seal? I am almost done repairing the rotted window channel on mine but previous owner just used weatherstripping adhesive to mount it. Cant seem to find a rubber seal for these anywhere.

-Derek in Cleveland
    60 deville coupe
    68 calais coupe

Hopefully someone with the Fisher Body Manual will let us know.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Voilá: 1967 Fisher Body Manual:

There were no rubber seal on the rear window during these years but a "synthetic self-curing rubber adhesive caulking compound that adheres to both glass and window opening pinchweld flange in place of the rubber channel that was formerly used".

Applying method and leak correction:

Exactly what we needed to know, thank you, cadforce. No gasket, just urethane.
    CADforce69 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.