Leaded Or Unleaded Fuel In Deville 63/64 ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jayoldschool
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Leaded Or Unleaded Fuel In Deville 63/64 ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I have question. For Cadillac Deville 1963 or 1964 (engine 390) I should use Leaded Or Unleaded Fuel or ...
    Dzida is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Leaded Or Unleaded Fuel In Deville 63/64 ?

Hi,

I have question. For Cadillac Deville 1963 or 1964 (engine 390) I should use Leaded Or Unleaded Fuel or use any additives?

Thank You for help.

Best Regards

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: Leaded Or Unleaded Fuel In Deville 63/64 ?

They were designed for leaded premium fuel. A lead substitute and 91 octane or better would be advisable, even better if you can get ethanol-free gas. As long as you're not running the car at sustained high speeds on a regular basis, you should be ok. Eventually, you'll have to go to hardened valve seats.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Since it has been years since lead was available in Canada/US markets, classic owners have found that lead substitute is not needed in original engines that saw use for years with leaded fuel. The protection for valve seats remains. Use high octane (91, 93/4 if you can find it), ethanol free if possible, and you will be fine. Lead substitute is only needed on a fresh rebuild with unhardened seats. I use 91 Ethanol-free in all my classics, both the 70 and earlier cars (built for leaded), and the 71 and later cars (GM factory built for no lead). I do not use lead substitute.
    70eldo likes this.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Since it has been years since lead was available in Canada/US markets, classic owners have found that lead substitute is not needed in original engines that saw use for years with leaded fuel. The protection for valve seats remains. Use high octane (91, 93/4 if you can find it), ethanol free if possible, and you will be fine. Lead substitute is only needed on a fresh rebuild with unhardened seats. I use 91 Ethanol-free in all my classics, both the 70 and earlier cars (built for leaded), and the 71 and later cars (GM factory built for no lead). I do not use lead substitute.
    Jay, just curious, since you don't seem to ever drive your old cars, how do you know?

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I agree with Jay. I've never seen a recessed valve seat caused by no lead fuel! in older cars designed for leaded fuel.

disturbio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 DeVille convertible, 72 sdv - RIP

I have found with the 472 that the mr. Gasket octane boost +8 in a tank of 91 runs waaaaaaay better than without, cant tell a difference with lead sub though

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.