help please!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CaddyGas
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, help please!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; im in the process of doing a mild restoration on my 68 sdv its coming out great and mostly done ...
    superjeep is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 68 sedan deville,69 sedan deville,64 fleetwod 60 special

help please!!

im in the process of doing a mild restoration on my 68 sdv its coming out great and mostly done except some interior stuff. my problem is it has white leather and i can not find any sdv white interior stuff. mainly need a rear seat cover ,front armrest,and drivers door panel. ive been looking forever and have found every color but white,and any white i find is for a coupe.

is there anyone you guys would recommend for what im looking for? thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: help please!!

I'd look into getting a good dye job on the interior. White may take a little more time but it can be done.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

You can't recover the original parts?

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

SEM auto upholstery dye is a good brand. Used it plenty of times to dye upholstery, mainly my 68 Impala. If your interior is in decent shape it will refresh it and will look like new. If it's vinyl or leather get a scotch green pad with soap and water give it a really good scrubbing, then use acetone and go over the whole thing after wipe it down with a tack cloth and last apply a adhesive I used Medallion flexi grip rs-590. For carpet just vacuum really good that's it. For plastic just do a light sand apply same adhesive for dye and paint with auto paint. For metal same as body work, sand, prime then paint.

They do make interior paint for plastic and metal.

superjeep is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 68 sedan deville,69 sedan deville,64 fleetwod 60 special

Hmmmm ok. The door panel i think can work,the rear seat was covered at some point but covered wrong. I have found a few seat covers with the factory pattern but one is black and one is green. How well do you think the dye will hold up on the seat? Also is it just me or is a sdv with white leather rare?

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

White leather was more of a coupe/convertible thing, as it's kinda sporty. Sedans tended to be bought by a more conservative buyer.

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by superjeep View Post
    Hmmmm ok. The door panel i think can work,the rear seat was covered at some point but covered wrong. I have found a few seat covers with the factory pattern but one is black and one is green. How well do you think the dye will hold up on the seat? Also is it just me or is a sdv with white leather rare?
    The dye will last a lifetime if done right. That's why you scrub it (acts like sand paper) scrub good, the acetone takes the old dye off. I dyed my old interior that was white to black, I had to use extra so the white wouldn't show thru. Clean and take care of it, it will last as long as new interior. If in good condition no need to waste $$$.
    77CDV likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.