Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1966 sdv

4K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  talismandave 
#1 ·
Been a while since I have posted... Haven't had the time. But I came across a 1966 Sedan de Ville and I had to have it. Here she is... One family owned, 87k mi.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Thanks Dave,

I have been so busy with this job I took last year that I have hardly time to eat! But we are now in the "slow season", so I have more time to play. :)

This car far exceeded my expectation. Unmolested originals are getting very hard to find around here! When I got there, they had her on a lift with the gas tank down and were replacing the fuel "sock" filter... So my first view was the underbelly. Frame was perfect, no rust or rot anywhere. Even the lower passenger fender is perfect... And as anybody who has had a 1960's Cadillac knows, that is the first place to rust. Another common place for one of these cars to rust is the bumper ends. The ones on this car are excellent with no rust at all.

I shined a light into the gas tank while it was down and it was clean... Before they put the tank back up, they replaced all the rubber fuel lines, which was very nice. As I walked under the car, I noticed it also had new front brake lines and at least "newer" whitewall tires.

I also saw that the transmission was particularly clean with a new pan gasket... And and as I was looking at it, it was revealed to me that the old man who owned the car had recently had it rebuilt... But my big surprise came when they lowered it down and opened the hood. I saw a brand new A/C compressor!... Working air, are you kidding? The car kept getting better and better and the decision to buy became more of a no-brainer... After a little haggling, of course :)

The paint appears to be mostly original (ancient quarter panel repair) and the interior is 100% original. The seat upholstery is virtually perfect with little to no signs of wear. I only noticed two "goofy" things... Some time long ago, someone installed some sort of custom hood ornament which has since broken off, however the crazy square ornament base remains. The other thing is that someone hand painted green stripes across the tops of the fenders, this also appears to have been done long, long ago. I plan to preserve the original paint and try to get that "custom" stripe off somehow. Still debating whether or not I will replace the top. Probably will eventually.

But for now, Just a little carburetor work and maybe a fuel pump and we will be cruising... Can't wait!

#6 ·
That is great Marc, I am glad it happened to one of us for a change! I get sick of seeing people sign in all the time with these perfect cars they got cheap,:annoyed: it's about time one of us regulars got a prize! :thumbsup:

If you get a chance you may want to drop down to lounge and address the Faded Crest thread!:lol:

#12 ·
I am even more amazed about power doorlocks and cruise control Cadillacs even got before 1960. Or what about that rain sensor in the 57 Eldorado convertible to close the top automatically? Cadillac had really neat innovations that are even innovative for today's standards. Like the automatic high beam dimmer with that light sensor in the front? They re-introduce this feature in LED-head lights.

#13 ·
Of course, it's all subjective... But 1966 is one of my all-time favorites in Cadillac body-style. I've always been a fan of '60's GM stacked headlamps, and personally prefer the 90degree vertical over raked version, in addition to the full-length body line on this generation.

When on the road... there is no mistaking that THIS, is a Cadillac. These model-years have very straight, clean, understated lines...class, prestige, elegance and power without the need to 'show off'.

That car looks really straight & solid. Enjoy it, congrats!

#15 ·
Thanks... You are right. It's been a long time since I've messed with old cars and boy have they gone up! And they are rustier now, too!

Anyway, the transport driver delivered it to me last night. I look forward to playing with it this week!

#24 ·
Glad to join THIS club - Only an hour ago, I picked up what appears to be a '66 DeVille (although the roof line leads me to believe Calias). Solid body, with older paint beginning to bubble in spots, obvious jury-rigged electrical in spots, and a front seat that was redone once in vinyl, but the foam and springs are a tad weak. Aftermarket wire rims with Vogue 235-15-70 tires. Bad exhaust smell, and a windshield that looks like a wiper blade went out and scratched the windshield. Overall, a solid, restorable car!

#28 ·
From what I can see of the interior, I believe you bought a pillared Sedan de Ville, which are quite rare compared to the hardtop version. Easy tell is the Calais has only one center armrest (in the rear), the DeVille will have two (one front, one rear). But, your door panels are DeVille panels for sure. The wreath and crest on the sail panel is not stock.

#30 ·
Oh, BTW, I do NOT think RIVETS were a Cadillac option to hold fender trim in place. This one, unfortunately, has that "option," like a switch or 2 under the dash that do nothing, a cheap stereo in the glovebox, a CD changer in the trunk that's broken, a seat belt retractor, with no mate...the list goes on. Good thing - it runs and drives, and is a great 20 footer - both in length, and paint quality. It will be driven while being worked on - in prep for next year's cruise-ins. I'll have to get the FSM for this - as I have one for my '95, that has so many post-it markers in it from where it's bailed me out of a jam.

Now, if only I can eliminate that bad gas smell - no apparent leaks observed, yet.

#32 ·
Now, if only I can eliminate that bad gas smell - no apparent leaks observed, yet.
Check where the fuel line enters the carb. It might be loose or the seal leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.