Looking at a '76 Eldorado convertible....what should I look for?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chrisntam
  • 1 Post By Rockhead261
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Looking at a '76 Eldorado convertible....what should I look for? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all, Ive always liked the shape of the older Eldorados and have been looking for a convertible. A '76 ...
    ClassicEldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado Rag top

Looking at a '76 Eldorado convertible....what should I look for?

Hi all,
    Ive always liked the shape of the older Eldorados and have been looking for a convertible. A '76 is available but I'm completely new to these cars. What should I look out for when inspecting it? Are there any common problem areas to look at and where do you guys get all your parts? Any online guides to point me in the right direction?

Ive been in to Corvettes for many years but fancied a switch.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chrisntam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible

Re: Looking at a '76 Eldorado convertible....what should I look for?

I've been doing the same as you, except I was looking for a '70 convertible. Important things to me were originality. Find out what options were available that year, buy one with the most options. Make sure everything works - top, windows, cruise, lights, trunk pull down, etc. The stuff that doesn't work, determine a cost of repair. With all the floods going around, make sure it wasn't in a bunch of water. A clean title is nice. Rust, try to avoid it. Make sure the car is complete, it's been many years since it left the factory, a chance for many grubby hands to change things, usually not for the better. That car has a scissor top, some folks hate that design, I have a '75 Delta and it works fine. That design allows for a larger back seat. Get a Bi-Centennial edition, if you can find one. I don't mind if the engine needs work, it allows me to freshen as I want to. Don't know anything about the driveline, can't help you there. Buy an owners manual and get educated about the car's features. I did that w/ the '70, it was a tremendous help. Sorry for rambling, but hope you can take a few tidbits of knowledge from this! And good luck, I've spent the last year and a half looking for mine and I just bought one. I'm yet to take delivery, I hope it's all I thought it was, but is a 43 year old car (yours would be a 37 year old car). Enjoy the search! It can be frustrating missing out on what you think are good cars. I'm in Dallas, found mine in Ft. Lauderdale. Hard to find decent old cars nearby. So there ya go!

----------

Here's a link to some general history on the '76 models........

http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad76.htm

hope the link works........

----------

and another link...........

http://motorera.com/cadillac/cad1970/CAD76.htm
    77CDV likes this.

Rockhead261 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 Eldorado Convertible

HVAC. The vacuum programmer is difficult to work on and expensive to replace. Be sure the heat, defroster, and A/C all work as designed.

Front end. These FWD behemoths use heavy-duty (expensive!) GM motorhome parts in the front suspensions. The ball joints can run almost $100 each. Plan on spending almost three times what you might expect a front end freshening to run.

Top. The scissor top is as beautiful and elegant as it is complicated and quirky - not a good DIY project, and professional repairs are not cheap. A new top will run about $1,500 installed.

As previously mentioned, be sure all of the power items work. Check the switches on both doors, look for intact ashtray covers, listen to make sure all four speakers are working (common grounding rears are commonly bad), lift the carpeting (or put it on a lift) and check the floors and trunk for rot, and check the rain boot in the trunk.

The rest of the car is basic 70's GM. The drivetrain, frame, and body is stout. Expect gasoline to empty out of the tank at an alarming rate, but it's worth it.
    77CDV likes this.

chrisntam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible

Well? Did you pull the trigger?? Come on back and chime in!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.