Whitewalls?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Rockhead261
  • 2 Post By Rockhead261
  • 1 Post By Rockhead261
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Whitewalls? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; One of the circa 1985 Firestone 721's on my '75 Eldorado damn near shredded last weekend... I made it home ...
    Rockhead261 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 Eldorado Convertible

Whitewalls?

One of the circa 1985 Firestone 721's on my '75 Eldorado damn near shredded last weekend... I made it home with no damage.

But... now it's time for new boots.

So... aside from the offerings from Coker @ $165 each, has anyone found a source for 1.6" whites?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Whitewalls?

Not exactly an answer, but you may find some info in this thread?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ll-thread.html

Not a lot of whitewalls out there anymore.

Also some other good resources here. Not for tires, but once you get that solved, you can have some fun with the links in this thread!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tech-info.html

....and to the group!

Thanks for the links, very helpful indeed.... guess the search feature is there for a reason. I just ordered a set of GT Radial Champiro 75's from southern CA. Buck oh six a piece, shipped.
    77CDV likes this.

Who from. I had ordered from simpletires.com and got run around.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...thread-25.html

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Who from. I had ordered from simpletires.com and got run around.
    http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....1572&pID=50028

I tried simpletires website and found it less-than-functional, so I pretty much gave up.

In all honesty, I almost went with PerformancePlusTire.com since the salesdude was super helpful - went out to the warehouse and physically measured the sidewall for me (1.375"). I asked him to match the price I got from DiscountedWheelWarehouse and he couldn't even come close. With shipping from Cali to NY I paid $105 per tire.

EDIT - Well, it looks like I spoke a bit too soon. Just got a call from DiscountedWheelWarehouse. It seems their inventory was "off" and they only have two of these tires in stock

I canceled the order and got back on the horn with Andy, the super-helpful guy from PerformancePlusTire.com. He remembered me, confirmed all 5 tires were in stock, and was able to knock a few bucks off the price this time around. I ended up paying just $17 more total than the previous order (which was unavailable anyway).

Should have 'em in about a week.
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

Tires came yesterday, one day ahead of schedule. They look better than I expected and don't have that Chinese rubber smell that permeates most Harbor Freight stores. I should have them mounted within a few days and will put up pics.
    disturbio likes this.

Glad they are arrived and in good order. I am very pleased with performanceplustires.com and hope to get 5 more for my Talisman from them while they have them.

Got the Champiros mounted this morning.

Bluewalls on a blue car. Hmmm....

Brought it home and hit them with some Simple Green and a Magic Eraser...

They look a little funny to me since the WW is not as wide and seems closer to the rim than the 721's, but I'm sure I'll get used to them. I'm already pleased by the thought of having saved over $300 versus the Cokers.

The tire guy said they seem like good tires and asked me how much air I wanted in them. I told him 32 PSI all around. The ride home was quite jarring so I checked the pressure when I got in the driveway. 40 all around. I aired them down to 34 warm and went around the block - that's better.

I should be able to get a nice ride in this coming weekend.

They look great. Too bad the "Jennifer Blue" walls weren't permanent!

The fact that the whitewall is closer to the rim is unfortunate. But the trade off is well worth it. They have been a smooth, quiet tire and I am still pleased with mine too.

Have fun, we don't have many good days left.

Back from the Dead!

I thought I'd help others and update this year-old thread with some bad news I learned today... the Champiro's are garbage.

As seen above, the new tires were installed and looked great at first, however the whitewalls stain very easily and there seems to be some "bleed through" of the rubber behind the whites. They look fine at a glance, but get down and look at them and you'll quickly become disappointed.

But that's not even the really bad news. It was apparent when I left the installer that the balance was way off. I went back and he told me at least two of my wheels were badly bent, thought I was aware of it. Now, I've knowm this guy for many years and he's never steered me wrong, so I simply went home with my car vibrating at highway speed due to my bent wheels. It was time to put her away for the season anyway. After a winter lost to heavy snowfall and a spring lost to repairing the Flintstone floor and installing a new interior and top, I finally got Jen back on the road this summer and decided to try another shop for a balance. No dice, still lousy... but I rotated the left side and it got a little better.

Still, it annoyed me enough to look in to aftermarket wheels and anything else that might fit/work. Welp, after recoiling at the price of custom alloys I finally caved in and decided I'd spend $75 per wheel to have them straightened and refinished at a local repair shop. Went there today and was told, "Your wheels are fine... those Chinese tires are $#!%".

Huh? Whaaaa?

He showed me on the machine that the runout and roundness on all four wheels was still within spec, however the tires were bumping and wiggling like centipedes.

I couldn't believe it and was honestly having trouble getting my head around what he was showing and telling me, so he had his guy dismount one of the tires that was bouncing particularly hard and mount a junk tire from the pile out back. The worn-out Pirelli spun perfectly round and didn't squirm one iota. The remounted Champiro looked square in comparison.

He checked all four and rebalanced them, but the ride still sucks. It's been just over a year since I bought these tires so I have no recourse other than to throw them away and spend double the money (which means I'd end up spending nearly $300 per tire counting the Chinese junk ) I *may* try calling the etailer I got them from, but not now... too mad to have a conversation right now.

Stay away from Champiro and spend your hard-earned money on something better.

Wow, sorry to hear of all the problems with the tires.
    I have the same tires, even bought from the same store, still quite happy with them. I'd have to check, but I think I have about 3000 miles on them already.
    I don't get how ours could be so different.

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Wow, sorry to hear of all the problems with the tires.
    I have the same tires, even bought from the same store, still quite happy with them. I'd have to check, but I think I have about 3000 miles on them already.
    I don't get how ours could be so different.
    Monday morning tires? Oh, wait... Chinese workers don't get weekends off!

There's really no rhyme or reason to it... one of my Champiros looks pretty good when spun but the other three are definitely off. I also have a bad OEM Goodyear Wrangler RS-A on my 2013 Sierra (not bad enough to shake my truck, but I can feel it in the steering wheel when it's on the front), so it can happen with any brand.

All joking aside, I'm glad yours are working out for you. Lesson learned for me - buy local.

I guess mine are one size smaller on my Brougham than on your Eldo.
    In that size it is a lot more rubber to be "in-exact" with!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.