NEW--70 Deville Cornering lights don't work
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, NEW--70 Deville Cornering lights don't work in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; OK, I am going to admit stupid here. I had an older post saying 1 side worked and the other ...
    Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

NEW--70 Deville Cornering lights don't work

OK, I am going to admit stupid here. I had an older post saying 1 side worked and the other didn't. Well, I was wrong. Someone had put the fixtures in wrong and what I thought was the cornering light was just a corroded old side marker light that was dim. I was wrong.
    So......., Lets start over here----

Hi,
    70 CDV. Both cornerng lights do not work. No power to the sockets. Bulbs good and main lights are on.
    If BOTH cornering lighs do not work, where should I start looking??

Sorry I was incorrect in my earlier thread.

Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chrisntam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible

Re: NEW--70 Deville Cornering lights don't work

Hi Jeff,

Don't have a lot of advice, but I assume you have the headlights on when you're trying the cornering lights? I've read the owner's manual and it states something to the effect that the cornering lights will illuminate when the headlights are utilized.........

hth,

chris.

Yes, Headlights on.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

There are 2 bulbs in there. One amber that should illuminate steady with the head lights on. One 21Watt white bulb that should illuminate the corner when you hit the turn signal.
    - Are both bulbs on both sides not working or just the white 21Watt cornering bulbs?
    - Did you check the plugs on both sides described in the 'old' thread?

The little parking lamp bulbs work so the housing appears to have a good ground. The plugs are good, just not getting power. Here is a stupid question tho-- Which place should the amber bulb be in? They were in the center that appears to best the best angle for the cornering light and the cornering light was in the rear of the housing at an angle. I have no idea what had been done in the past so it is possible that someone just switched their locations. There is enough wire for them to be in either location.
    Thanks

twiztedlacs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff R View Post
    The little parking lamp bulbs work so the housing appears to have a good ground. The plugs are good, just not getting power. Here is a stupid question tho-- Which place should the amber bulb be in? They were in the center that appears to best the best angle for the cornering light and the cornering light was in the rear of the housing at an angle. I have no idea what had been done in the past so it is possible that someone just switched their locations. There is enough wire for them to be in either location.
    Thanks
    The Amber bulbs are in the middle and come on solid when the turn signals are activated, do you have power coming out of the turn signal switch you can check, it's the large connector on lower part of steering column. I believe the wire is Brown but I'm not 100% sure. Do your Amber park lights come on when your headlights are on?

Yes, the amber light comes on. Just not the cornering lights.

Confirming twistedlacs your bulbs are in the correct sockets.

Have you replaced the turn signal switch (circular aluminum casing with a 2 pole plug) already?

No, I haven't been in the column yet...... and from what I have seen/read, I don't want to. Seems like the tilt telescoping version is somewhat complicated on the inside.
    What I'm looking for is the cornering light switch. The manual shows there to be a switch that does not appear to be part of the turn signal switch. That seems like a good place to start since both don't work. However I can't find it.

Sorry, I meant the flasher unit. You should have 2 of those (one for the turn signal and one for the emergency flasher)) under your dash (above your break pedal under the steering column.

So according to the workshop manual going from front to back...turn/park bulb(amber), front side marker(amber), cornering bulb(clear). I get my new turn signal switch end of this week. I can then tell you with which function they turn on.

smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    Hey Jeff,

I know you have been doing much diagnostics but I had the exact same problem and as usual I was over thinking it and here it was solved it.

First the cornering light is closest to the passenger compartment.

2nd it's an unusual bulb at least around here. It's a 1257 I believe not an 1156 or 7. I had to order mine from rock after realizing those wouldn't fit.

3. I got pass side working by just fiddling with it. I tried for many months to get ds to work. I was going the route u were but then decided to do the following.

Cut connector wire to socket and test for power. It was there. Reattached power and tested socket again. No power. Remember the hot is the bottom of the socket. I used sandpaper on my finger and scraped socket like a madman still wasn't solid connection so I pushed spring loaded bottom in an out 1trillion times. Got good power. Jumped outer socket metal to chassis no light. Scrubbed that got light. Installed bulb no light. Scrubbed light socket hole in side marker housing got intermittent light depending how far I twisted it in. Took 60 grit sandpaper to socket hole and finally light. I also pried the outer contacts out a bit.

I don't know why it took so much cleaning but it did. And honestly I figured some switch or relay is bad but if the directional and parking lights are working chances are all switches are working properly.

If you are not getting power to a clean cut wire before socket I would track down feed wire under the column and cut or check that. You should be able to get to it wo messing with the column.

Wiring is fun isn't it??? Another issue just popped up for me with interior lights. Gonna post on my thread before I start ripping out the carpet.......again.

Good luck.
    70eldo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    Hey Jeff,

I know you have been doing much diagnostics but I had the exact same problem and as usual I was over thinking it and here it was solved it.

First the cornering light is closest to the passenger compartment.

2nd it's an unusual bulb at least around here. It's a 1257 I believe not an 1156 or 7. I had to order mine from rock after realizing those wouldn't fit.

3. I got pass side working by just fiddling with it. I tried for many months to get ds to work. I was going the route u were but then decided to do the following.

Cut connector wire to socket and test for power. It was there. Reattached power and tested socket again. No power. Remember the hot is the bottom of the socket. I used sandpaper on my finger and scraped socket like a madman still wasn't solid connection so I pushed spring loaded bottom in an out 1trillion times. Got good power. Jumped outer socket metal to chassis no light. Scrubbed that got light. Installed bulb no light. Scrubbed light socket hole in side marker housing got intermittent light depending how far I twisted it in. Took 60 grit sandpaper to socket hole and finally light. I also pried the outer contacts out a bit.

I don't know why it took so much cleaning but it did. And honestly I figured some switch or relay is bad but if the directional and parking lights are working chances are all switches are working properly.

If you are not getting power to a clean cut wire before socket I would track down feed wire under the column and cut or check that. You should be able to get to it wo messing with the column.

Wiring is fun isn't it??? Another issue just popped up for me with interior lights. Gonna post on my thread before I start ripping out the carpet.......again.

Good luck.
    Very good tip! Those cornering lights are right down there where it can get splash from the road. The moist can corrode the sockets after decades to create a non-conductive layer. Make sure you grease the sockets with a little bit of vaseline or battery pole grease when you're done.
    If you have a dremel that would make this job a little easier than getting sandpaper in the groves in the socket.
    77CDV likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

A cardboard nail file board bent at end works well, also a circle of sandpaper (hole punch) glued to pencil eraser.
    77CDV likes this.

Another thing about those lights, cornering and side marker used a 89 bulb which is just shorter version of an 1156. The last I checked they do not make an 89A(amber) well at least at AutoZone they didnt. I used an 1156A took some wiggling but I was able to get the 1156A bulb in the center socket(side marker).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.