NEW--70 Deville Cornering lights don't work - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, NEW--70 Deville Cornering lights don't work in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by twiztedlacs Another thing about those lights, cornering and side marker used a 89 bulb which is just ...
    70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Re: NEW--70 Deville Cornering lights don't work

Quote Originally Posted by twiztedlacs View Post
    Another thing about those lights, cornering and side marker used a 89 bulb which is just shorter version of an 1156. The last I checked they do not make an 89A(amber) well at least at AutoZone they didnt. I used an 1156A took some wiggling but I was able to get the 1156A bulb in the center socket(side marker).
    How would that not fit? You have to open the whole assembly to swap bulbs from the front, right? I hope you did not pull the sockets from the rear of the assembly?
    BTW, I put amber LEDs there but stuck to 'normal' bulbs for the 21 Watt white cornering lights. I also have red LEDs for the red side marker in the rear quarter panel. Just shines a little more... correct.
    I put red bulbs in the tail lights to compensates for the fading and small cracks in the lenses. I tried red LEDs in the tail lights before that, but it was too much hassle with the electronic flasher (that refused function for the hazard lights) and adding extra load to the feed lines. And the red light emitted by those LEDs in the tail lights was just too dim.That project started off with installing LEDs for the front DLR/turn signal as they would be steady white but flash in amber; the perfect solution for European regulations. But the white was too white for my taste and regulations for classic cars have been eased on the lights, so I returned to the normal amber bulbs.

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Ah, Will try that. I cleaned the sockets but admit I didn't try pushing up/down on them. Perhaps corrosion internally in the socket. I kind of figured since both did not work it must be a centralized problem.

I was thinking of going with LED's as well on the side lights.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff R View Post
    Ah, Will try that. I cleaned the sockets but admit I didn't try pushing up/down on them. Perhaps corrosion internally in the socket. I kind of figured since both did not work it must be a centralized problem.

I was thinking of going with LED's as well on the side lights.
    The center contact in the socket is spring loaded. They sometimes stick. When you put the bulb in you push it all the way in to make the twist, then it will lock and come out just a little bit. When that center contact sticks it will lose contact. I had that with my DLR/turn signal sockets.
    Spray some vaseline on them and push them in a couple of times to ensure free movement. And make sure the contact is clean of course.

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Thumbs up Re: NEW--70 Deville Cornering lights don't work

Bingo!!!!
    Found the problem. I'll post this in case someone else has an issue.
    I had been pulling what's left of my hair out (a little easier to do these days I'm afraid to say) trying to figure out what the problem was. The diagram shows a Cornering Light Switch all on its own (See first picture). I had been looking for that but couldn't find it. Got to thinking tho that it has to be actuated by the sameswitch as the signals. Looking around on ebay. I was able to see a signal light switch for sale (didn't buy it) and zoomed in on the picture. The end wires of the big connector are the colors called out for in the book. So, I looked around under the panel and found the big connector that comes out of the column. At the end, there were 3 wires that were part of the connector but did not have anything plugged into them. Was able to determine by Ohmeter that these were energized by the signal light switch--- Bingo! Hunted around down there and found a seperate clip tucked under several other wires. The colors matched the diagram. Plugged it in and I had cornering lights. My guess is that GM used a standard harness in the car that did not include cornering lights as most cars didn't have them. They had a secondary connector that is only for the cornering lights. See the second picture below. I put white tape on the cornering light clip for ID purposes. Either the car never had them hooked up from the factory or someone had replaced the signal light switch in the past and just forgot to re-hook it up.
    Sorry for the long explanation, and I hope its clear, but I thought I'd post this in case someone else is trying to find that swtch.
    Jeff
    DSCN1818.JPGPhoto0200 (800x600).jpg
    70eldo and talismandave like this.

chrisntam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible

Wow! Great detective work and way to keep after it. I bet you jumped up and high-fived who ever was closest right when you found it! Way to go! and thanks for the update.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.