Guido Delgatto is in the house! My 87 Brougham.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Guido Delgatto is in the house! My 87 Brougham. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Back in the days of disco, when I wore the body of a God (There were fat Gods, right?) my ...
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Guido Delgatto is in the house! My 87 Brougham.

Back in the days of disco, when I wore the body of a God (There were fat Gods, right?) my buddy and I would go by the names Mario and Guido Delgatto when we went out. All the way back from Michigan City IN in my 87 all I could think of were those days cruising and swooping in my 76 Fleetwood.

So please welcome Guido to the fold......

imgur

It all started when a forum member from Flint MI (bewber) posted the car in the RWD for sale thread. As a joke I PM'ed him and asked if he could deliver it to the SS Badger in Ludington and put it on the boat.

That started a long series of emails for the next three weeks. We learned that we had friends in common from the forum and that he knows from the longroof forum. As we got to know each other it just picked up steam and became more destiny than just desire. We were on a mission from God...(God of Cadillac?)

John wanted an Impala hood from Rockford and we agreed to meet in Michigan City IN. Him with the Cadillac on a trailer, me with a newly purchased hood in the back of my friend since high school's truck.

The meet went great and in that photo I am anxious to hit the road in my new ride. 220 miles ahead of me in a car I have owned for 15 minutes!

For the first 10 or 15 miles I was a genuine hazard on the road. I quickly reset my steering input from 2013 to 1987 and from there things went swimmingly! The big guy was eating up the interstate system with a joy and a fury.

imgur

Right about the time that photo was taken a car in the next lane leaned on his horn. I was about to turn and tell him he's number one........when I turned his way I saw he and all his passengers were giving Guido the thumbs up. Oops!

About 15 miles from home we hit a rest stop. (Two 53 year-olds-on blood pressure medication, but that's another story.) Look under car, small puddle. Check it out, it was water from the inoperative AC. It seems it has enough charge to condensate but not cool effectively.

imgur

I am thrilled to have Guido in "the family" and so far he has been a perfect gentleman. All of his surprises have been pleasant ones.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bro-Ham is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Great story Dave! And what a car! Congratulations and enjoy every minute of every mile!

Is it cloth or leather? Mileage? I just love it, color is fabulous!

Re: Guido Delgatto is in the house! My 87 Brougham.

Thanks Dave,
    If you could only see the emails John and I exchanged daily for three weeks!

At one point we had a good laugh at all the work that we were putting in to a deal where he was selling a car that he didn't need to sell anymore, to a guy who owns two cars already and walks 150 feet to work!

Oh well, The things we do for love, Cadillac love!

Has 109,000 miles and was extremely well maintained. Leather interior,I love the stitched wreath in the seat!

imgur

I got my last filler today, hopefully get a chance to install them Sat after work. Do I need to remove bumpers? I just got my 87 Body manual today and haven't looked at it yet.

Also got my Stainless vent visors (A cigar smokers necessity for rainy days!)

Another one of those "destiny"moments of this deal. John and I went to sit down in the car to do the paperwork due to wind. As I got in with a stogie in mouth I jokingly said "I know, you don't allow smoking in your car!"
    Turns out his uncle (I believe.) who was the previous owner, smoked cigars in it too! :lol
    So now all I have to do is pour some whiskey in the carpet, and it will smell like a "proper" gentleman's drawing room!

Those kind of things kept telling me, against all good sense, that this was meant to be.

In this next photo, keep in mind that the speedo reads about 5 MPH low due to wrong size tires....

imgur

...and yes, the column has already been dusted!

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Congrats again, Dave. It seems you have got a good one Guido looks impressive inside and outside. The fact you arrived home so happy after such a long journey seems to prove the car is mechanically sound. In addition, a '87 is a classic perfectly suitable for day to day driving. A car like this with such a mileage should be perfectly ok with a correct maintenance through its life. I prefer a 100K miles car that has been driven regularly than a 40K 6 years stopped.... Now be careful; Sally probably be jealous when she sees the newcomer gets all the attentions

And yeah, itīs funny someone that makes so few miles a year has 3 cars for himself... I can totally identify with that and with the causes of this phenomenon
    talismandave and Classic L like this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

That pic you took driving through Chicago...the scene is oddly familiar.
    talismandave likes this.

I actually just hacked into your photobucket account.....

Here was Johns post that started it all. That one line in it did it for me!

imgur
    77CDV likes this.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    I got my last filler today, hopefully get a chance to install them Sat after work. Do I need to remove bumpers? I just got my 87 Body manual today and haven't looked at it yet.
    From my experience in the junkyard, no. If you are just replacing the rear fillers then you just need to remove the taillight pods/bumper ends. Drop them, install the fillers and screw the bumper ends back in place. That is the easy way for the back. The front shouldn't need to either but I haven't tried that yet.

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Congrats Mr.Talisman!!!! What s great car and color. Black, white, or yellow, classic Cadillac colors. Congrats once again.
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

Thanks Mr Holland, and james for the tip.

I got the two fillers in the back on last night by just removing the bumper ends. Took about 2 1/2 hours. Could have been 4 hours, but wasn't real fussy about alignment. Color and fit is a little off, will get color closer while on car, and it is only a driver car so it looks great at 10 paces, good enough to have fun with.

Driver side still needs some work, must have had a hit in that corner seemed pushed in a bit. Logging chain hooked to the forklift got it out about 1/2 inch, couple of body shims under mount will be next to get it all the way out.
    77CDV likes this.

Thanks Mr Holland, and james for the tip.

I got the two fillers in the back on last night by just removing the bumper ends. Took about 2 1/2 hours. Could have been 4 hours, but wasn't real fussy about alignment. Color and fit is a little off, will get color closer while on car, and it is only a driver car so it looks great at 10 paces, good enough to have fun with.

Driver side still needs some work, must have had a hit in that corner seemed pushed in a bit. Logging chain hooked to the forklift got it out about 1/2 inch, couple of body shims under mount will be next to get it all the way out.
    Good job fixing those. I forgot to mention about the pain in the neck nut in the trunk that you have to remove. Getting them aligned can take forever. lol lol I have removed several and they all had a few shims here and a few shims there. Now that I think about it, I should have taken the shims I removed off the junkyard cars so I could have them if I need them.

I should have expected the fact the bumper had been, um, used to bump. It car was originally from a senior owner.

Probably why all else seems so well kept, and maintained. They do tend to "drive-by-feel" though!
    77CDV and CadillacLuke24 like this.

I should have expected the fact the bumper had been, um, used to bump. It car was originally from a senior owner.

Probably why all else seems so well kept, and maintained. They do tend to "drive-by-feel" though!
    I like senior owners. They are not likely to dynamite an engine so at least it will run good.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Congrats on your pimptastic yellow car Dave. I did not know yellow was a color available in 87. I love the interior. Hows the body rust wise (since the north seems to take a toll on these cars)?

Thanks Kevin,
    Spent the first part of it's life in FL. Have seen no body rust or any indication of rust repair. Under it there is a fair amount on the frame from not being undercoated. Not bad a quick couple passes with wire brush by hand, and a coat of rust reformer seems to do great.

It is one of those cars that is on the edge right now, not too late to pull back, wouldn't take much to go over. I like the car a lot, but I am not the one to bring it back. If it were d' elegance with a sunroof, I would go all out on it. As it is, I will love my ownership of it, and hopefully preserve it as well as the previous owners, and some day find someone else who wants to put more work into it.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Ciao, Guido! May your vida be long and dolce!
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.