Guido Delgatto is in the house! My 87 Brougham. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Guido Delgatto is in the house! My 87 Brougham. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I love it Dave!...
    Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    I love it Dave!

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Guido Delgatto is in the house! My 87 Brougham.

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Thank you Frank. I see you post on CML quite a bit. I belong there because of the Talisman Owners Group, also on Yahoo, but don't post often.

Still two fillers to go, but at least it looks better. I popped the dent out Kevin. I used a 2 foot long 1/2 inch pipe an elbow and a 6 inch nipple with a chair leg tip in it. Slipped it up in there and levered against the bumper mount to massage it out. Not perfect, but much better and made mounting filler easy.

Guido knows he has found a good home and is treating you accordingly!

Also had to beat the snot out of the original chrome bottom trim that was bent with fender. It came to submission eventually!

Found the reason the washers didn't work was that the hoses were off. Normally I expect hooking them up will be of no use, but was pleasantly surprised. Same for tracing the reason the hood/engine light didn't work. Unplugged. I love this car! Now if some r12 gets the AC going and I can find a fuse or vacuum line off on the cruise I will really be stoked.

The car came with a switch hard wired for the heater fan. I need to get that fixed right. The car is just too nice to leave that be an eyesore and the one thing not working right.

photo uploading

Have Gabriel Hijackers arriving tomorrow, and correct paint for fillers. I am hoping the level system will work when it is all plumbed up. It seems to be making all the right moves with the current shocks. Hoping to hook them up and adjust arm and be good.

500 miles in and still over the moon happy. 15 MPG on last tank of all in town driving. Extremely happy with the 307 engine. Smooth, decent mid range power. No off the line but I am not a "power" guy and it is perfectly suited for me to do the "Cadillac Glide"!

Almost all good news on every fix I attempt. Guido has been a good playmate, and been good for me. With the daily applications of leather conditioner to my steering wheel, my normally leathery, rough, hands have never been smoother!

photo uploading

photo uploading

photo uploading
    Guido knows he has found a good home and knows he will be appreciated!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Went to my local yard today. I picked up a cruise control switch, a climate head unit, and a chrome center strip off of an 84. Also an MPG computer. Got it all for $40.00.

The center hood strip is because mine has a couple of small dents down the body crease. I figured the chrome would draw the eye away from them.

The MPG computer was too tempting to pass up. I probably won't be able to hook it up, but will need to get a manual for an 84 and see how it was wired in. Has about twenty wires coming out of it! That will be one of those back burner projects, for when I am bored.

I tore into the dash tonight at work, and then ran out of light. Hopefully tomorrow before work I can figure out what they did to "hot wire" my heater blower. I have to undo that first before I can go through the manual diagnostic and find what "was" wrong to begin with.

Before work today I confirmed my compressor for ELC was running, so I am looking forward to my shocks being replaced more now. The dash light comes on intermittently, so I think the sending sensor is working. As long as the pump is making pressure it should only be up to plumbing to get it all working in harmony.

I found an Eldo at the yard that had an after-factory sliding moonroof in it. They want $100.00....hmm..
    ....might have to put that in my storage locker as a mid winter project.
    I found out I will be getting my second indoor parking stall in Feb.and it will be the one next to my current one which is even better.

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I am hoping to get this all knocked out before the weather turns and I have to put him to bed for winter.

Cadillac living is good today. Tomorrow, is another day though....
    77CDV and CadillacLuke24 like this.

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Your last sentence is too true.......just in life in general.
    talismandave likes this.

Got the jumper switch out of the loop and have the heater fan wired to the control module again, tonight after work hopefully start the diagnostic flow chart in manual. My suspicion is the fan control module, but we shall see.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

The Cadillac Gods were smiling upon Guido and moi today!

Perfect cool day, sunny and mild, got off work early picked up my bud and headed to the yard. Two hours latter, left with a fan control module, broken tab where blower plug went unto it, and an ASC sliding smoked moonroof! Every module was gone from every car there except this broken one. But I just cleaned up nut, loosened it and slipped a solderless lug under it, tightened it down, and I have an operational climate control system!

The sunroof came out rather easily, and will go in even easier.(I think!) We got to the point where it was all unbolted except for screws concealed by the glass being closed. My friend was convinced we were done for, I looked for a way to crank open, to no avail, then I remembered Kevin and others using drill batteries to move seat!

I cut and stripped some wire and told my friend what I was going to try. (He told me later, he was sure I was insane!) All I had was my B&D Versapak drill. The battery is 3.6 volt, so I thought I was also! Rigged it up to motor, and held it to the battery....and slooowwlly....very slowly....it started to open!

Took two batteries to get it all the way, but it worked! Yeah,...that's right....Mac Gyver got nuttin' on this kid!

We were both stoked and then the hardest part was yet to come, separate the frame pieces where they sandwich the car's roof from inside and out. They were filled with sealant, brought together and metal tabs bent over one another to lock in place. Removing the frame without mangling it completely, is near impossible. It is however doable, and we did it!

So we rounded up the goods packed the tools and headed for the office. I was told $100.00 by a guy last Thur, but didn't see him around.(Of course!) Went up to the counter and was waited on by the Cadillac collector there. He is the reason they have kept so many. He asked me what it was going in and when he found out it was the Yellow Brougham he was eyeing while we were pulling parts, we had a good chat. Then the moment of truth...."How much for it?"

$50.00!!!!

photo uploading

It took all my will to not break out the saw the minute I got home! I want it in sooo bad!

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

I think Guido may be here to stay

CONGRATULATIONS DAVE! Coming alond exceptionally!

Holy "like" storm Luke!

I knew you found my project thread when I saw my notifications blowing up!

Thank you, I am glad you approve. I can't wait for you to get a chance to check him out in person.

I am pretty sure Guido and I have a much longer future together than I had originally planned. He has quickly found his way into my heart. I am already thinking body and paint in the future.(After Sally of course.) It is so much fun having a car where everything works. Only a couple of little things left to do.
    77CDV and CadillacLuke24 like this.

Well, I have springs and air ride shocks in the trunk, now to find someone to install them.

After work I installed my Delco radio with equalizer that I took out of my totaled Fiero in 1984. I'm not a pack rat, I just knew I would need it again someday!

BIG improvement in sound with just the factory speakers.

I also cut and assembled the beginning of a tunnel console. Couple cubbie holes, change holders and two cup holders.Fit nicely, needs a few fine adjustments and a coat of stain and varnish and I can check that off the list.

Brought the sunroof up to my apt. so I can clean, lube and check it all out. Want to get it all ready for install.

Still having fun, and still running like a champ.
    77CDV likes this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Well, I have springs and air ride shocks in the trunk, now to find someone to install them.

After work I installed my Delco radio with equalizer that I took out of my totaled Fiero in 1984. I'm not a pack rat, I just knew I would need it again someday!

BIG improvement in sound with just the factory speakers.

I also cut and assembled the beginning of a tunnel console. Couple cubbie holes, change holders and two cup holders.Fit nicely, needs a few fine adjustments and a coat of stain and varnish and I can check that off the list.

Brought the sunroof up to my apt. so I can clean, lube and check it all out. Want to get it all ready for install.

Still having fun, and still running like a champ.
    Hahaha......glad to hear you finally dusted off that radio. IMO, those UX1s were great sounding factory radios. I've got 4 of them (no I'm not a hoarder LOL.)
    Did you swap the caddy knobs/ buttons onto it or leave the pontiac buttons/ red backlighting?

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post

Hahaha......glad to hear you finally dusted off that radio. IMO, those UX1s were great sounding factory radios. I've got 4 of them (no I'm not a hoarder LOL.)
    Did you swap the caddy knobs/ buttons onto it or leave the pontiac buttons/ red backlighting?
    Can the backlighting color on Delco radios be changed?

I am not an endorser of aftermarket sunroofs but a lover of yellow Cadillacs. I am praying you find a reason not to cut a hole in the roof since my gut says you will regret it. In nearly 20 years in the automobile business, aftermarket sunroofs were one of the biggest customer headaches. Leaks never stopped and ruined some neat cars. I bet that sunroof would get big $$$ on ebay! :-)

Interesting Questions guys.

The knobs, yes that one was easy!
    The backlighting was more of a challenge. The quick answer is no it can't. However......

The radio face plate is an adhesive plastic applique that is stuck on the plastic frame. I peeled it off carefully and laid it adhesive side up on a light box. I tried on a less important button (set) to scrape off the red. Can't be done. You go right through to the clear and end up with a bright light there with no marking.
    Next I used my color training from paint retailing and turned to my color wheel! To cancel out red you go to the opposite side of the wheel, green. I used several colors of green permanent marker to color the adhesive side of the piece. Mixed results on that. By time I got dark enough to get most of the red out, the spot was so dark it was almost unlit. If you were really familiar with the radio, which after 29 year absence, I am not, it might be just enough to work. There still was a bit of a pinkish cast to it at certain angles, but I doubt an unaware rider would notice.
    Now it might be better to try a clear green film, which would let more light through, but I was getting to the point of having an unusable face plate and decided to go into recovery mode. I colored all of them with dark green permanent marker and reattached to the plastic frame. Back on the light box right side up I used black paint to backside to touch up the spots where all my experimenting left problems.

While I had it off I decide to try to fix the other difference the radio had which is a matte finish instead of the gloss piano black the Cadillac radios got.

I tried Rustoleum clear gloss and it was almost like it was repelled from the surface. Blotchy and uneven, it was trash. Luckily, because of the Teflon-like surface I was able to scrape it off with a fingernail, but not completely enough to be worthy of installing. Next I used Krylon Fusion clear gloss. It worked and I am not sure if it would to the original piece, or if it was because of the residual left from the first attempt, but it worked. I ended up with a nice gloss black.

With the Cadillac knobs installed it looks quite good. The other problem with the swap is the placement of the display. With all the additional info on the radio, the display is nearer to the top of the radio, and under the ledge that comes out over it when installed. For me and taller drivers it means dipping the head a bit to see display. Annoying, but worth it to me to get the bigger anp and equalizer of the radio.

So it is installed and too dark for me, but looks great and sounds much better with stock speakers and will also work the new Kenwood 6X9's that come in today. If after afew weeks I am still finding it is a working unit, I plan to pull it out and swap the cassette door from the Symphony Sound original to the radio in place of the Auto Reverse one the Pontiac came with to complete the illusion. Then send it out for service and to have an unput for phone to be installed.
    I also ordered some white LED indicator lights that I plan on installing over the radio in the dash cover aiming down which will hopefully not only shed some light on not only the radio but also the console cup holders, more on that later!

I will also be on the lookout for trashed Pontiac and Cadillac EQ radios at the yard for swap and further experimentation.Swapping face plates would be much simpler!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post

I am not an endorser of aftermarket sunroofs but a lover of yellow Cadillacs. I am praying you find a reason not to cut a hole in the roof since my gut says you will regret it. In nearly 20 years in the automobile business, aftermarket sunroofs were one of the biggest customer headaches. Leaks never stopped and ruined some neat cars. I bet that sunroof would get big $$$ on ebay! :-)
    The ASC sunroof I pulled is the same model that I had in my 82 SDV. Never gave me a bit of trouble in the 5 year I drove that car. I hope to be as lucky with the new one. I know what you are saying is true, from my own experience in the biz, but for a fair weather cruiser, I will take the chance. I wouldn't if it were my daily driver.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post

I have to agree with Bro-Ham .... a new after market sunroof is a problem waiting to happen, a junkyard sunroof only speeds up the process! Ebay is your friend.

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

photo uploading

Is that a murse?!?!?!?!?!??? LOL!!!
    77CDV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    I have to agree with Bro-Ham .... a new after market sunroof is a problem waiting to happen, a junkyard sunroof only speeds up the process! Ebay is your friend.
    Me too! Can't argue with either one of you!
    Doesn't alter the fact it is going in! But thanks for the sound advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHolland View Post

photo uploading

Is that a murse?!?!?!?!?!??? LOL!!!
    Don't judge me!

My purse collection is well known to the forum.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.