Guido Delgatto is in the house! My 87 Brougham. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Guido Delgatto is in the house! My 87 Brougham. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by orconn Ciao, Guido! May your vida be long and dolce! Living la Dolce vida....
    jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Re: Guido Delgatto is in the house! My 87 Brougham.

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Ciao, Guido! May your vida be long and dolce!
    Living la Dolce vida.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Finally got a chance to upload some photos of the fillers.

Looked really good behind bumper.

imgur

As close as I could get, wanted to have at least this close a match on before installing, will paint later to match, but at least the crack won't show a odd color.

imgur

Got the tires 8 AM and by noon had them on. Multi point check turned up little needing to be done. PS flush, rear shocks, muffler, and IMO rear springs.

imgur

imgur

Alignment was spot on when checked.

imgur

So Guido has new shoes, and right after his photo shoot, went out on the town for a prowl! I am so glad he took me with!

imgur

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Dave love the whitewalls what brand did you end up getting?

Champrio, performanceplustires.com. had them and I got 5 for $477.95 to my door.

Took a long drive last night, ride great, happy so far. Still need to buy a rim for the spare and mount it up.
    77CDV likes this.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Champrio, performanceplustires.com. had them and I got 5 for $477.95 to my door.

Took a long drive last night, ride great, happy so far. Still need to buy a rim for the spare and mount it up.
    Dave, that's simply great! I'm so tickled for you and I hope you enjoy the heck out of that car - its so cool! I am thinking of trying the the same type of wide whitewall tires.
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

These cars really look good with the white walls. Are those what you call "wide" whitewalls these days? The ones you just got are the same width as the white walls of my '76 Seville. Much easier to take care of than the wide walls of yore!

Almost everything else is 1 inch. With the exception of specialty high dollar reproduction ones. These were 1 1/4 inch.

The extra 1/4 inch makes a big difference IMO on these older cars.

Guido and I were out and about again tonight. 375 miles so far, of pure joy. Put on the vent visors and headlight half shields today. Vent visors already came in handy as we had rain right after I got done.

imgur

imgur

What are headlight half shields and what do they do?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    What are headlight half shields and what do they do?
    They are chrome pieces that cover the top half of the headlights. The story I heard on them (probably not correct) was that they came out during WWII so that enemy planes could not see your headlights at night so you wouldn't get shot up from above.

They are a stainless steel cover that on the older round headlights will make the whole headlight look chrome, due to the lack of light in the bottom half. (In other words, they do nothing!) Strictly a dress (i.e. pimp) item.

I have yet to see what the flat ones do on square headlights and will attempt to get a photo of the results. I installed them after dark, and it is overcast today so when the sun shines we will see?

My guess is that Kevin is right as to the origin. Probably after the war someone decided to modify and chrome the "dark-out" covers that were common in England and on US bases.

^^^ I'll bet that no one that had to drive with those in place during W.W. II would have them on his car now!
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

Well two more fillers in place, now just the under headlight ones to go. Pics tomorrow, was dark when I finished. Also had to tie off to the forklift and pull the front bumper out a couple inches. Love them senior drivers!

Another hundred miles and all smiles. Cracked myself up yesterday. A friend was waving at me so I blew the horn. Forgot what a Cadillac horn sounds like and got the giggles! My buddy said he knew the QE II had hit port when he heard her blow.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    I noticed that your car has the same right front fender dent that the hooptielac has. Makes it hard to bolt on the filler on that corner though.

CadillacNicodemus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): El Dorado Biarritz 1940 1950 1960

Looking good! Thanks for sharing!
    Frank Nicodemus

Thank you Frank. I see you post on CML quite a bit. I belong there because of the Talisman Owners Group, also on Yahoo, but don't post often.

Still two fillers to go, but at least it looks better. I popped the dent out Kevin. I used a 2 foot long 1/2 inch pipe an elbow and a 6 inch nipple with a chair leg tip in it. Slipped it up in there and levered against the bumper mount to massage it out. Not perfect, but much better and made mounting filler easy.

photo uploading

Also had to beat the snot out of the original chrome bottom trim that was bent with fender. It came to submission eventually!

Found the reason the washers didn't work was that the hoses were off. Normally I expect hooking them up will be of no use, but was pleasantly surprised. Same for tracing the reason the hood/engine light didn't work. Unplugged. I love this car! Now if some r12 gets the AC going and I can find a fuse or vacuum line off on the cruise I will really be stoked.

The car came with a switch hard wired for the heater fan. I need to get that fixed right. The car is just too nice to leave that be an eyesore and the one thing not working right.

photo uploading

Have Gabriel Hijackers arriving tomorrow, and correct paint for fillers. I am hoping the level system will work when it is all plumbed up. It seems to be making all the right moves with the current shocks. Hoping to hook them up and adjust arm and be good.

500 miles in and still over the moon happy. 15 MPG on last tank of all in town driving. Extremely happy with the 307 engine. Smooth, decent mid range power. No off the line but I am not a "power" guy and it is perfectly suited for me to do the "Cadillac Glide"!

Almost all good news on every fix I attempt. Guido has been a good playmate, and been good for me. With the daily applications of leather conditioner to my steering wheel, my normally leathery, rough, hands have never been smoother!

photo uploading

photo uploading

photo uploading

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.