PIC HEAVY! more amature carport than monster garage 1969 Caddy Convertible
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, PIC HEAVY! more amature carport than monster garage 1969 Caddy Convertible in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Proper refresh thread: Okay some backround. I live in AZ so its hot, pretty much 9 months a year and ...
    disturbio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 DeVille convertible, 72 sdv - RIP

PIC HEAVY! more amature carport than monster garage 1969 Caddy Convertible

Proper refresh thread:

Okay some backround. I live in AZ so its hot, pretty much 9 months a year and I don't have a garage so my
    projects are usually done a little bit at a time. I have a full time job... little kids..... and a wife so
    getting time with the car is few and far between. That being said the slow roll begins now:

THE GOOD - Car has great chrome and body, runs well (now) and most interior electrics work. Some upgrades already too from
    previous owners - Modern flowmasters, Newer thin white walls, converted to r34, most the interior pieces in trunk but
    need redone.

THE BAD - Survivor car, but neglected, needed top, interior pieces all need redone

FIRST THING FIRST: All the mechanical AND a/c.... this is Arizona and AC is a MUST! 800 bucks later she is nice and cool...

Here are some pics as I got her, first one is the original craigslist ad pic. The previous owner used the "facebook angles" that chubby girls
    do to make them look better than they are

I did new plugs/wires, distributor, timing, fan clutch, air filter, carb cleaning fuel filter change, oil changed and tranny flushed.

Cleaned up tank and pulled valve covers, replaced the gaskets and painted everything that was blue, back to blue...

Everything else is BLACK! I went rattle can rustoleum "true blue", not quite the caddy blue, not quite ford but I like it. Stripped everything
    to bare metal and primed painted and clear coated.

NOW

SHE LOOKS 1000% better. I pulled the heat shield stuff of hood too, it was rough and really expensive to replace, if anyone
    has any ideas on how to approach replacing it with something im all ears.

Fleet, 70eldo, 77CDV and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: PIC HEAVY! more amature carport than monster garage 1969 Caddy Convertible

Probably going to end up painting her battleship
    grey and I will pin stripe her with the dark green accents to match the door panels and dash

Here are some before and after pics of interior, still not quite done, again.... ONE PIECE AT A TIME!

Boat carpet.... Cheap, waterproof, proper look

Shes gettin there

a must

Horrible dash now covered

MORE TO COME SOON... Ive been good about documenting my cheapy refresh, im not so good at uploading and all that....

Opinions welcomed!
    70eldo, 77CDV and CADforce69 like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

That seat looks great! The cloth insert is a must in your case! Black leather convertible seat in AZ.=

With the interior change ever consider a lighter color?

Cool car and great start!
    77CDV likes this.

I would love it red, but the door panels dash and fixtures are green... I did the vinyl charcoal, and inserts grey to be fairly neutral. I really want to get it painted scion "concrete" colored.... That would still match the green and I want to pin stripe her in green
    talismandave likes this.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

The car seems in good body and mechanic condition, as well as accessories, new ragtop and -Of course- A/C... Only weak points seem to be interior and paint but you are doing very well with upholstery so soon your only main issue will be paint. Grey seems to make sense with a green interior though a dark or medium metallic green would be great... By the way: Glossy or satin grey?...

Satin but not flat.... ill do my pin stripes myself in a dark green like the interior.... ive striped a bunch of cars in town so i can do this one too.
    CADforce69 likes this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Looks great! USA Parts Supply sells the hood insulation. I used it on my 69 FWB. It fits well, looks good, and it's not that much.

Thanks, ill need something so it doesnt cook the paint off

----------

Heres the front, i need to do door panels, i chipped off the remaining wood and im going to put frabric inserts in.

I do have the handle shrouds, they are removed, repaired and prepped for paint.

----------

Here she is with the new top
    70eldo, 77CDV, VEGASELDO91 and 2 others like this.

Im gonna stain the strip of woos on the dash black too i think....undecided still

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    Looks great! USA Parts Supply sells the hood insulation. I used it on my 69 FWB. It fits well, looks good, and it's not that much.
    I couldn't find anything so I went with this:
    http://www.aixfoam.de/schalldaemmmatten-mit-glatter-oberflaeche-sh0011

Y
    ou can customize the foam with extra layers, like a heavy layer, sticky layer, smooth layer. They come in various thickness and are heat, moist and oil resistant. Not cheap!

I have a lot of it left as the minimum order is a box full. I used 3 full slabs for the hood and an extra for my Citroen hood. So I have 6 slabs left to sell. I doubt it will be interesting to send over to the US, but I am sure you have stuff like this over there?

(Sorry, I didn't make any pictures of it as I was in a hurry to get the car ready for the meet in Holland)

CadForce69 interested maybe?

Nice car disturbio! You are taking good care of her!!
    Where in AZ are you? I resided in Tucson while in flight academy in 1999/2000. I loved the desert and canyons! The winters are weird though: you need to de-ice the canopy in the morning and you sweat your ass off in the afternoon... The rain 'season' (which is pretty much 2 weeks) is very interesting! The desert blooms after that and for a few weeks the highest mountain tops have an ice topping... That is such a beautiful contrast on the mostly red rocks.

Oh, memories...

Yuma az.... most southwest corner

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    I couldn't find anything so I went with this:
    http://www.aixfoam.de/schalldaemmmatten-mit-glatter-oberflaeche-sh0011

Y
    ou can customize the foam with extra layers, like a heavy layer, sticky layer, smooth layer. They come in various thickness and are heat, moist and oil resistant. Not cheap!

I have a lot of it left as the minimum order is a box full. I used 3 full slabs for the hood and an extra for my Citroen hood. So I have 6 slabs left to sell. I doubt it will be interesting to send over to the US, but I am sure you have stuff like this over there?

(Sorry, I didn't make any pictures of it as I was in a hurry to get the car ready for the meet in Holland)

CadForce69 interested maybe?
    Thank you for the offer, my original hood insulation is surprisingly still in decent condition. Anyway, you might post some day some pic of the results on your caddy just in case some friend would like it I took out the insulation of my other classic car ('73 Dodge 3700GT), as it was in awful condition and left the hood nude inside... I donīt really know which function has this insulation
    70eldo likes this.

scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

coming along good keep up the the good work! when my 65 gets back from getting painted I will make a build thread progress is to slow for anyone to follow lol

Thanks. ....

I tjoughr about rubber undercoating it

----------

~Thought

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    I donīt really know which function has this insulation
    Heat protection for hood, and sound-proofing to quiet the running engine. (More the sound I suspect.)

Quote Originally Posted by scott9001 View Post
    coming along good keep up the the good work! when my 65 gets back from getting painted I will make a build thread progress is to slow for anyone to follow lol
    Please do. Don't worry about slow progress, you will have lots of company on that count. People will still follow. It just takes you longer to find your own thread when you want to up-date it!(Ask me how I know that.)
    CADforce69 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.