70 Deville Convertible
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 70 Deville Convertible in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; For 30 years I have wanted one of these cars and finally found one in good shape that I could ...
    70 Convertible is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 De Ville Convertible

70 Deville Convertible

For 30 years I have wanted one of these cars and finally found one in good shape that I could afford. The previous owner (I think he said he was the third) had the three small rust spots in the lower quarters cut out and new metal put in. He then had the car repainted and clearcoated the original color which he called patina silver. He had the tranny rebuilt because it was leaking at 2 or 3 of the seals. AND the car has 57,000 original miles on it. I am in heaven. I have done alot to it myself but it has been inexpensive so far (for the first time in my life). The top would go up and down but at the halfway point it would lurch. I started playing with it and found numerous loose bolts on the frame. Tightened them up and she goes up and down like new. I cleaned the carb and reset the float so now the four barrels open when you step on it. I changed the oil and rear fluid and I just put on a new power steering pump and valve cover gaskets because they were leaking. Looks like a new radiator in it as well as new belts and hoses. Since this is my first time fixing up a car what other key elements should I be checking? Or does anyone know of certain aspects of the 70 deville convertible I should look out for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Re: 70 Deville Convertible

Congrats!!
    I just got a Deville hardtop a few months ago. Lot of fun. Good luck with the a/c. I have been fighting that for a while. It cools OK but having blower issues and looks like heat is going to be a challenge.

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The bottom front fenders are notorious for rust make sure nothing was hidden or it will haunt you. Great car and engine the 472. Go over brakes/ lines, gas tank/lines, front suspension, everything underneath. How old is radiator? Might want to do a flush to be on the safe side. Did you clean the fuel filter on the carb in front of it. Sounds like you are on the right track though.

And yes a lot of parts really are cheap until you get into restoration stuff. Chrome, body parts add up, etc.

Jeff,
    I just got the owners manual for mine and found some interesting stuff. Right now the A/C is unplugged because it needs a new compressor (which I have) but a few mornings when it was cool I turned the climate control to vent and cranked up the setting to about 85. it continued to blow cool outside air. After reading the owners manual I found out that when the climate control is on vent...that is all you get. It is just outside air vented in with no temperature control. To adjust temp you have to have the AC on. So the next time I took it out I put the climate control on AC (even though the compressor is unplugged) and turned it up to 85 again and she blew heat as advertised. I haven't messed with the fan speed yet but I think it is only blowing on low speed. Since it is a convertible I am not too worried about that yet.

----------

Thanks for the insight. The brakes and fuel lines are good. The radiator is only a year old and I already replaced a front ball joint and a few bushings that were bad. Last week I replaced the valve cover gaskets and power steering pump and I was going to clean the fuel filter on the carb and replace the filter in the bottom of the fuel pump (the shop manual showed a filter in the pump). When I got under the car it looked like the fuel pump may have been replaced and a mechanic friend of mine looked at it and said that was not one that had a filter in it. Well since I had the valve covers off I sandblasted them and then primered and painted them before reinstalling so I ran out of time and did not clean out the carb screen. Maybe this week.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by 70 Convertible View Post
    Right now the A/C is unplugged because it needs a new compressor (which I have)
    Before installing the new compressor, get the A/C system deeply cleaned and when charging gas be sure there is the charge of oil advertised in the manual. Otherwise, your new compressor could be damaged soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 Convertible View Post
    I haven't messed with the fan speed yet but I think it is only blowing on low speed.
    Did you try to put the lever in "Hi" or "Ice" position? If it still blows on low, first thing to check is blower relay.

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

----------

[/COLOR]Thanks for the insight. The brakes and fuel lines are good. The radiator is only a year old and I already replaced a front ball joint and a few bushings that were bad. Last week I replaced the valve cover gaskets and power steering pump and I was going to clean the fuel filter on the carb and replace the filter in the bottom of the fuel pump (the shop manual showed a filter in the pump). When I got under the car it looked like the fuel pump may have been replaced and a mechanic friend of mine looked at it and said that was not one that had a filter in it. Well since I had the valve covers off I sandblasted them and then primered and painted them before reinstalling so I ran out of time and did not clean out the carb screen. Maybe this week.[/QUOTE]

There is a filter on the pump don't worry about it no one changes it, just replace the pump instead when time. Don't want to crack that nut loose sometimes its welded on.

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I will try the "ice" setting next time I am out and I had already priced new fuel pumps. They are not that expensive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.