gas theft 69 sedan deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By cadillac kevin
  • 1 Post By CADforce69
  • 1 Post By talismandave
  • 1 Post By talismandave
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, gas theft 69 sedan deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So today I go to fill up and i notice my gas cap is gone,and the filler neck is not ...
    SWEENDOG1969 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90k 1969 Cadillac Hardtop Sedan Deville

Angry gas theft 69 sedan deville

So today I go to fill up and i notice my gas cap is gone,and the filler neck is not perfectly round. I am pretty sure last time I filled up (a couple weeks ago) that I put the gas cap back on. Im not sure though..just got the car painted and i used to sit the filler cap on the trunk lid,maybe its possibe I sat the cap on the pump and drove off. However I bought a new cap today and people all day said as I was driving your leaking gas whenever you go up or hill or turn a corner. I also filled up so much today that I could visably see the fuel. Either way long story short what would be a good way to make it so they had to work extra hard to pry off the locking gas cap (which is now plastic versus the metal one I had for the last 10yrs). I thought about getting hose (maybe radiator size) and putting it on the filler next with a couple hose clamps so no room to put anything behind the gas cap? As a side note I didnt really notice less gas because if Im not going a long distance (staying around town) i only put $20 or so at a time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bro-Ham is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    It is fairly logical that someone who has a nicely kept and freshly painted big old Cadillac may be pretty likely to have the car gassed up for the adventures they can presumably afford to have. A locking gas cap is a pretty good sign that the car is a loaded oil tanker ripe for pirating the fuel, and is something a desperate and determined thief would need to break off in as quick and dirty of a way possible.

If you are concerned about this happening again here are my thoughts. Maybe try a standard gas cap, since you don't keep much fuel on board why worry about locking it up? Or move to a neighborhood or job where the odds of theft and vandalism are lower and less likely to occur. Or sell the car and then you won't have the risk or worry of its possible molestation. Or vote for politicians who permit widespread utilization of our oil resources in this country which will lower gas prices and stimulate our economy and allow for more mobility which increases everyone's prosperity so crime is less likely to happen. Or just don't worry about it and enjoy owning and driving your car as before since it is all part of the fun and adventure!

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Re: gas theft 69 sedan deville

Yah,
    I drove mine 20-25 miles and a couple of gallons were gone!!
    Seriously, I like what the previous post said...... Just keep a regular cap on it. If someone wants the gas they are going to get it no matter what. If you have a regular cap, it can be easy---- or they will tear your filler neck up in the process by going the hard way. Let them have the few gallons or so you have in there. Cheaper than having the neck/tank repaired.
    Jeff

why would I move or sell my car? I am looking for a factory gas cap. However is it possible to make my filler hole non egg shaped.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

You can always try with pliers... Or with an iron cone and a hammer. A welding torch always helps to correct metal shape but in this place is by no means advisable.

I canīt believe someone steals gas from a car tank in U.S., given the low gas prices.... If you had the prices we have in Europe of 1,50 € one liter... (Thatīs like $7,58 a gallon). My advice is storing the car in a parking if you have no garage... These cars are too valuable to leave them in the street. If I had mine in the street I could not sleep at night.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69
    You can always try with pliers... Or with an iron cone and a hammer. A welding torch always helps to correct metal shape but in this place is by no means advisable.

I canīt believe someone steals gas from a car tank in U.S., given the low gas prices.... If you had the prices we have in Europe of 1,50 € one liter... (Thatīs like $7,58 a gallon). My advice is storing the car in a parking if you have no garage... These cars are too valuable to leave them in the street. If I had mine in the street I could not sleep at night.
    Earlier this year, someone siphoned out my entire gas tank on my caddy.....all 20 gallons of it.....on my mechanics lot. I hope it clogged their fuel system because that was some old gas.
    CADforce69 and talismandave like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

How about running the filler neck up on the trunk, and having a fake filler neck in license plate?!

Now what to fill the fake tank with?.......

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    How about running the filler neck up on the trunk, and having a fake filler neck in license plate?!

Now what to fill the fake tank with?.......
    ... With Pepsi-cola?.. It will for sure work wonders in their engine
    talismandave likes this.

Here you go....old school....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Keyl...item43a7a4f525

Period correct solution!
    CADforce69 likes this.

Didnīt know this device existed but it seems the perfect solution

I remember them from the first gas shortage of '73 when we were only able to buy gas on alternate days by what our license plate was.(Even or Odd)

Even then lines were long and sometimes no gas by the time you got to the front. Good fun! Burn a gallon moving through line to maybe buy gas.

It does however explain why the 4 seat Talisman of '74 wasn't a huge seller!
    CADforce69 likes this.

Yeah i was looking at those on ebay..not necessarily the retro ones...i was thinking like the fleet/farm ones. My car is stored in one of those car canopy things behind a locked gate at each end of my drive way (my 66 mustang has to go in the garage due to hagerty insurance) and I have a 2k slot car track on the other side...plus i dont think it will fit anymore due to its length. Actually i am mainly pissed the filler neck is egg shaped. However on I side note due to the octane boost,lead(off road use only of course lol) and a fuel stabalizer I bet their car went real good then not at all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.