70 Cdv Auto Climate Control
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 70eldo
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 70 Cdv Auto Climate Control in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am looking for someone/some website,etc who knows about these old climate control systems. They seem to be an ongoing ...
    Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

70 Cdv Auto Climate Control

I am looking for someone/some website,etc who knows about these old climate control systems. They seem to be an ongoing source of frustration but I have not found a good source for help. Here is my problem (for now) and would love some help but really need a good place to go for troubleshooting. Obviously I will be wanting the heat t work in a few months.

We have had this 70 Coupe Deville for a couple of months now and have been up/down the manuals but have not had much luck finding my problem. The manuals speak to problems with the blower speed relay and/or selector head issues but I do not think those are my problems.

I believe I have 2 separate issues--1 with the blower and the other with the heat/temp selector. As it is summer, I have not done much with the temp selector issue--I want a good strong blower at least for now.

The a/c works well and is cold. The system puts the flow to the dash vents as required. When I turn the temp selector up to 85 there is no change however it has been quite warm here so the cabin has not really been cool. I believe the position selector on the dash works well- I hear vacuum releases when I move the selector. The blower works on low speed in vent, off and Auto Low which I believe is per the system design. When I move the selector to the middle Auto position the blower increases to what I think would be speed 2. When I put the selector in high, the blower increases again but perhaps to speed 3, not to full power. When move it to fog it goes down to the same speed as auto which I believe is also correct and when in Ice it goes to the same speed as Hi which again I would believe is only speed 3. Once the blower went to the full hi position when the selector was in Hi but that is the only time it has happened. I removed the electrical connection from the power module and jumped what I believe are wires 18y and 12t I get a nice hi blower so I do not believe there is a bower electrical problem--I think it is in the power module. I have read that there is a dedicated circuit for the hi positions but it appears to not engage other than the 1 time. I have cleaned the wipers on the power module but I really don't know how to check it. The blower relay does work and I hear it click when it is turned off the low positions.

So, where should I go from here? Is there a good troubleshooting guide I can use to determine what my next step is?
    Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Re: 70 Cdv Auto Climate Control

cadillactim.com may be able to help you out!
    CADforce69 likes this.

klinebau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible Red

The operation of the climate control system is detailed in the service manual, but I agree it is very complicated. Based on your description of the problem, I believe that you need to look at the power servo. Make sure that the vacuum hoses that connect to it are routed correctly. Also, check the diaphragm (cylindrical part) and hoses for leaks.

When in auto mode, the blower speed is supposed to be determined by the difference between the temperature selector and the temp sensor (opening on top of dash over the gauges). A signal is sent to the power servo (via vacuum) to move the lever in and out for the blend (temperature) door. When you adjust the temperature control, you should be able to watch the power servo lever move in the engine compartment by the firewall. The resistors for the fan speed are also in the power servo. I don't remember all of the specifics, but I believe that the lever in the servo has the connectors which control the fan speed.

I had several problems when trying to get mine to work. First, there was a bad ground for the fan relay. Second, the engine temp sensor wire was not connected to the sensor (this is needed for heat). This wire should be grounded if you no longer have the sensor or if the sensor is broken. Third, the vacuum lines on the power servo were hooked up incorrectly.

disturbio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 DeVille convertible, 72 sdv - RIP

another issue could be the temp sensor is on top of the dash, you gotta dash mat? Mine only works when I flip it to 65 and let it run, ac guy told me I needed to cut out a slot in dashmat but im in az, its always hot and i dont want to screw up dashmat for something I will rarely rely on. just a thought.

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

The diaphram does work and holds vacuum (I hooked a line up to it) and when it moved it did move the blend door arm (however it did not do it automatically). I'll check that the vac lines are hooked up correctly. No telling what was done with the hoses years ago.

----------

Looks like we were on at the same time.....No, No dash mat. It has been warm just about every day we have had the car so I have not had a chance to do much. However there was one cool morning and I turned the selector up to 85.... no change. I have read that the temp sensor, when it dies, defaults to 'warm' meaning that it would go to max cool. Mine does not go to max cool--The servo acts as if it is dead.

disturbio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 DeVille convertible, 72 sdv - RIP

What is the lil vent with a switch on the front of sash passenger side do?

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by disturbio View Post
    What is the lil vent with a switch on the front of sash passenger side do?
    That's the map light. Check the bulb

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

No wonder no air comes out of it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.