A few questions about a few things
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, A few questions about a few things in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay, I can't seem to find any other place to post this, so any mods out there if I am ...
    Classy Lady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none.... yet

A few questions about a few things

Okay, I can't seem to find any other place to post this, so any mods out there if I am in error, please move this to the appropriate forum

Now, I am going to be coming into possession of a 1988 hearse with some issues. Quite a few are minor and I can fix myself. But, the others are outside my range of familiarity since I have worked on solely Ford vehicles. I have been told this car had an idiotic previous owner that had, at some point, put the wrong antifreeze into the reservoir. How much, I don't know. But apparently it was enough to cause some issues and has gummed up the works a bit. Any suggestions as to how I can clean this out? It also has a crack either on the block or head my friend is unsure of which. He discovered this when he found where it had been JB welded shut and the repair had failed. He says he appoxied it again and it does okay, but it still has some problems retaining water. How would I check to see if it really is the head (I do believe that's what he has said)? And if it is that, can it be replaced?

Those are the only two major issues I can remember off the top of my head. Everything else is tune up, pinhole leak in either the radiator or a hose, brakes and tires. Stuff I can do, lol. Any suggestions? And if further details are needed, I will find them out and post as I am able.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Re: A few questions about a few things

Can you post pictures?
    Of both your car out of interest and of the engine crack for evaluation.

I would if I had access to it. My friend lives 45 minutes from me. I plan on going to look at the car this weekend and test driving it. I ask the questions now so I can be prepared for the repairs in the future. Make sense? I can probably pull a pic from my ex's Facebook page. It was his before my friend bought it from said ex's ex wife (she didn't want him to have it type of deal).

I hope this posts. This is it.

_facebook_-715106342.jpg

Ok, so this is what it looked like 10 years ago?
    I am not an expert on engines, but as an engineer I would expect that when the block has a crack you need to weld it inside and out. Epoxy will not hold long. I also expect a crack to result from heavy load. That would be more like the head than the block. But also an exhaust header is prone to cracking (even more than the head). I hope for you it is the header and not the head (although you mentioned about retaining water, so it is probably the head anyway).
    On the other hand the 4.5L is not a rare engine to find parts for or a replacement. At least a lot more reliable than the 4.1L

I don't have any recent photos. But, it still looks this way from what I have been told. As I have stated, I don't own it yet. I'm waiting on the money for it. I'm just trying to get as much information as possible so I can be prepared for fixing it up and getting it to run correctly. I'm going to be headed to my friend's house this weekend to give it a good once over, take photos, and possibly test drive it.

Make sure you check the engine before and after the test drive

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.