Towing with your big ole caddy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 77CDV
  • 2 Post By 70eldo
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Towing with your big ole caddy in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ive been looking for more info on towing with old cadillacs. My dad bought my 65 sedandeville in 1981 and ...
    65raddycaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965 SedanDeville

Towing with your big ole caddy

Ive been looking for more info on towing with old cadillacs. My dad bought my 65 sedandeville in 1981 and he told me it had a big hitch on it. I have the car he gave it to me as my first car 10 years ago.

I would like to haul a camping trailer and my 1942 allis chalmers wc to pulls. Just wondered who else tows with their cars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FoxRodder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Coupe Deville, 87 Mustang, 00 Mustang

Re: Towing with your big ole caddy

I've heard of some people talking about the old days and doing exactly that pulling campers or what have you. I came across a thread on another caddy forum where a guy was talking about hitches and that he purchased one from Uhaul recently made for his 66 or whatever year it was. I looked them up and was able to pull up a hitch for my 68. I don't have a truck and have been daydreaming about putting a hitch and getting a car hauler. Don't think you can get a more stylin tow truck than a classic caddy! Only downside to the caddy aside from not having stiffly sprung rear end for the tongue weight , is that with our three speed transmissions, we typically have a real tall rear axle. I believe mine is supposed to be a 2.94. Our big blocks have the low end grunt, and the th400 is supposed to be stout, but with wear and age they might start slipping. I've already been considering getting a decent aftermarket trans cooler.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

65raddycaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965 SedanDeville

I have air shocks in the rear and I am adding trans cooler with deep pan and external filter with trans temp gauge. I was going through my steel today to start building my hitch. Im excited to get started and see how it comes out. Not sure if im going to put a modern brake controller in or buy a vintage one on ebay for style in the car.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

When properly outfitted, the mid-60s to mid-70s Caddys (excluding the Series 75) can tow around 6000 lbs. The towing package usually included an oil cooler, HO alternator, rear anti-sway bar, upgraded springs and rear axle ratio. The car can handle it fine, you'll just need to make sure it's equiped properly.
    70eldo likes this.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

In Sweden they all haul a caravan around town with their classic US cars during the summer!

(I just came back from a meeting in Sweden for which I will write a nice report with pictures and film asap)
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

Neil Clarke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 76 Sedan Deville

I want to do some towing with my 76 sedan deville... but do you think I can find a tow setup anywhere..... nope

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.