Longest Car: 1974-'76 Fleetwood Seventy-Five or 1927-'33 Bugatti? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Longest Car: 1974-'76 Fleetwood Seventy-Five or 1927-'33 Bugatti? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; That's part of the reason I don't like '73-'76's as much as '71/'72's. '72 got rub strips, which was acceptable. ...
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    That's part of the reason I don't like '73-'76's as much as '71/'72's.

'72 got rub strips, which was acceptable.

'73 got the government bumpers, and those goofy looking rubber triangles on the lower half of the tail lights. Much less acceptable.

The vertical tail lights disappeared in '74, and that kind of ruined the rear of these cars for me.

Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

Re: Longest Car: 1974-'76 Fleetwood Seventy-Five or 1927-'33 Bugatti?

Each year had their good and bad points. The low point for fuel mileage was 1973-'74. The '75-'76 had the super-smooth 500-cu-in engine. My '69 Fleetwood Brougham has rub strips (and the high-compression 472-cu-in engine).

Also, for the Fleetwood Seventy-Five, the rear seat was not available in crushed velour until the 1973 model year. 1975 was the first year for electronic ignition. And on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    Maybe because the 9 passenger Cadillac was done by a coach worker it doesn't count as a production car?
    I checked the door sill on my '76 limousine. It says "Body by Fisher, interior by Fleetwood." Just like the Fleetwood Brougham.

For an update, I posted the same type of thread on another forum which has an "automobile" category. A lot of varied opinions on that forum. To my surprise, not one reply to my thread. Probably some did their own research and came to the same conclusion!
    talismandave likes this.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

The Cadillac series 75 limousine was considered a "commercial" chassis vehicle and the Bugatti Royale was considered a chassis for personal use. Even thought the Cadillac may have been owned and driven for "personal" use by their owners does not change the car's status as a commercial chassis. There were various body styles fitted to the Bugatti Royale chassis, each of them for private owner use only and thus not for commercial use. I am sure it is this distinction that makes the Bugatti the longest production car as opposed to a chassis used for commercial vehicles such as limos, hearses, ambulances and flower cars.

Stretch limousines were built on post production chassis, i.e. lengthened by concessionaires who adapted the cars for specialized commercial use. Again just because a car of this type may have been privately owned does not make a non-commercial type vehicle.

Good, points, orconn, but the requirement (according to Guinness) was "of all cars licensed for road use."

Also, about 2,000 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Fives were built each year, throughout the '60s and '70s. That added up to over 30,000 examples sold over the years compared to only 6 Bugattis. The Bugatti should be classified as an "exotic."

As the Cadillac brochure said, "The Cadillac Limousine is still the only production American car designed and built as a limousine." Anyone, with the appropriate amount of funds could easily walk into a Cadillac dealer and buy a Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five. Unlike a hearse, ambulance or flower car, the Seventy-Fives were 7-9 passenger cars (depending on the year). Also, they differ from those other vehicles because you didn't normally see a millionaire being chauffeured around in a hearse, ambulance or flower car!

So I definitely consider the Series Seventy-Five a production car... they were included in the regular Cadillac brochures (the other professional cars were not), they had a set base price, and many thousands were sold. The hearse and those other models also had a longer wheelbase than the Fleetwood Seventy-Five (151.5" vs 157.0"). As mentioned before, the door sill plate on my '76 Limousine does say "Body by Fisher, interior by Fleetwood." The owner's manual for my '76 has the commerical chassis listed separate from the Fleetwood Seventy-Five.

Another difference: The Fleetwood Seventy-Fives were sometimes mentioned or included in car magazine's "New Car Issue." In fact, I actually have two road tests of the Cadillac Limousine... a 1960 and 1971. (Ironically, they both ran an 18.1 second 1/4 mile.)

I did an Internet search for "longest production car" and the 1974-'76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five is in the results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_superlatives

disturbio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 DeVille convertible, 72 sdv - RIP

I dont know.... but that bugatti is baddass

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

A lot of people other than "millionaires" used to ride in those Cadillac Fleetwood 75's, remember the vast majority of them were owned and operated by Carey Car Service and were used to tote executives and others to and from airports. I rode in 1970's versions on many occasions. Until recently there places has been taken by Lincoln TC's, which are still a dime a dozen in around major metropolitan areas. Many corporations owned them for use by senior executives.

I had the use of the 1972 Fleetwood 75 that was owned by a company I worked for in the seventies. To be honest they weren't really very special just long and big, the only real big difference was the chauffeur, which came in really handy when making meetings around L.A.

Orconn, yes, the Fleetwood Seventy-Fives had other uses besides millionaires riding in them.

To me, they are very special. Not only are they long and big, but the ride was one notch smoother than the Fleetwood Brougham. With the limousine model, the partition window comes in handy... I keep mine up and when the A/C is on, the front compartment cools of quickly. The rear radio controls come in handy as do the jump seats when I occasionally take extra people for a ride. And the landau roof and bars were only available on the Fleetwood Seventy-Five.

Even Cadillac said, in their 1976 brochure, "Very special cars for people interested in luxury, in an executive size."

Here are a few photos of the exclusive rear compartment of the limousine and one exterior photo...

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

In my book that is about as special as any automobile I have ever seen.

Thank God I have so seldom been in one I have not become jaded to their lures. I hope I never do.
    Fleet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    In my book that is about as special as any automobile I have ever seen.

Thank God I have so seldom been in one I have not become jaded to their lures. I hope I never do.
    Yes, they can be addictive!

Another Cadillac I've always liked is the... Fleetwood Talisman! I like all three years, 1974-'76, but if I was shopping for one, it would be the 1974 or 1975 because in my state, a '76 would need the smog check, which can be a BIG pain to go through. So, a '74 or '75, in triple dark blue (preferred) or triple black.

A friend owns a '76 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance and it has the very soft seats which are similar to the Talisman, except it's not crushed velour. I've rode in it several times. The seats are so comfortable, I didn't want to get out of the car! (We went for a ride into the local mountains.)

Here are a two interior shots...

talismandave likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Those are great seats!
    The covering on them while not as eye catching as the Talisman velour, is much nicer to live with. Easier to slide in and out of and wears like iron.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.