1970 Eldorado Carb Rebuild - Part One
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MrEightball
  • 1 Post By MrEightball
  • 1 Post By MrEightball
  • 1 Post By MrEightball
  • 1 Post By MrEightball
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1970 Eldorado Carb Rebuild - Part One in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I rebuilt my carburetor three years ago. It is reasonable to say that I did not know what I was ...
    MrEightball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado Fleetwood

1970 Eldorado Carb Rebuild - Part One

I rebuilt my carburetor three years ago. It is reasonable to say that I did not know what I was doing. Fortunately, I knew that. So I found a core on eBay to practice on first.

When I rebuilt my actual carb, I cleaned it thoroughly and replaced all if the gaskets and parts with what came in the rebuilt kit. All screws were put back with the same number of turns as when removed.

I was amazed by how not better anything got.

Since then, I've read Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors by Cliff Ruggles...twice.

This time, the tear down is much more involved. Installing oil-impregnated bushings. Replacing parts that don't come in a typical rebuild kit. But most of all, fine tuning bench adjustments followed by fine tuning with the engine running.

Tear down began today.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1372641613.517280.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    70eldo likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1970 Eldorado Carb Rebuild - Part One

Going to start putting the Q-jet back together today. Got the new bushings in. All of the internal parts are clean. Still some fine cleaning to do in the passages of the casting. Then...a lot of fine tuning. lol

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Where did you get your rebuilt kit and what extra parts did you get that did not come with the kit?
    I am considering rebuilding my carb as well.
    Thanks!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Dont forget to epoxy the well plugs under the carb main body! If not resealed, they can leak fuel into the intake manifold overnight! Common on older quadrajet carbs. I'm sure if you do a search someone will have a DIY on this.

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    Where did you get your rebuilt kit and what extra parts did you get that did not come with the kit?
    I am considering rebuilding my carb as well.
    Thanks!
    I originally got my rebuild kit from a place in Canada. Actually, I bought two of them at $26 each. One to rebuild the "test" core and one to rebuild mine. I ended up not bothering to actually open the rebuild kit for the test core. I simply tore it down, cleaned it and made sure I could get it back together.

Try this place: http://quadrajetparts.com/rochester-...-c-128_33.html. They have rebuild kits as well as mixture screws, rod hangers, etc. The one thing that just doesn't seem to come with a rebuild kit is a float. And I was once told by an old guy who seemed to know his stuff to ALWAYS replace the float. So I ordered a float. lol

----------

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    Dont forget to epoxy the well plugs under the carb main body! If not resealed, they can leak fuel into the intake manifold overnight! Common on older quadrajet carbs. I'm sure if you do a search someone will have a DIY on this.
    You know, the first time I rebuilt the carb I actually did epoxy those plugs. And when I went to rebuild it this time, the epoxy was leaking. It turns out that it just can't take the heat of that 500ci engine. But the book I got had another suggestion that I did. And that was to remove the plugs completely, tap the plug holes and make custom screws from threaded stock to screw into the plug holes. And I put high-temp Permatex on the threads. According to the book, those should never leak again...ever. lol
    70eldo likes this.

Not the best photo, but it shows the custom threaded plugs I put in the throttle body.
    IMG_1193.jpg
    70eldo likes this.

New choke pull-off. New float (the bronze kind). And that thing sticking up out of the primary needle bore is a roll of sandpaper. I sanded the travel of that and the accelerator pump. Smooth as a baby's bottom in there now. Amazing the pits and stuff that builds up over time.
    IMG_1197.jpg
    70eldo likes this.

Finally back on the intake. I have replaced all of the vacuum lines coming from the carburetor. The climate control system is currently disconnected and capped off (that's a whoooole other project). And the master brake cylinder and power booster are in the process of coming off. So I have that very large port plugged on the carb at the moment.

About the time I got this done, my daughter was born. So I haven't actually had time to fire it up yet since the rebuild. I still need to make all of the on-car adjustments to the carb. The shop manually has a whole slew of them.

Prior to rebuilding the carb, I'd replaced my distributor, new cap, points, coil, plugs. Followed the manual's procedure for adjusting the timing. It ran so much better after that I could have cried. Now we'll see if I've made things better or worse with my carb rebuild. lol
    IMG_1200.jpg

P.S. Those chrome valve covers are NOT my work. They came with the car. I have a set of originals I ordered from a salvage yard in Arizona. They have been taken down to the metal, galvanized, primed and painted. I have the new gaskets and will be getting rid of the "douche" covers as soon as possible. I can totally see some high-school kid thinking this was awesome. Except that there's no proper place for the PCV valve and they don't fit right and leak all over. I mean, I like chrome as much as the next guy, but these are super cheap junk. If you are going for aftermarket, at least get something that wasn't stamped out of recycled soda cans. *end rant*
    70eldo likes this.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Thanks for all the info and feedback!
    I ordered a service kit from quadrajetparts.com along with some more parts like those sealed replacement plugs, indeed a new float (bronze one), studs, accelerator pump and secondary valve torsion spring. All arrived yesterday so I studied the shop manual last night to prepare for the operation. I hope it won't take too long!

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Cool, glad to see someone taking time and getting to know their Qjet. I don't have a favorite carb, but I really like the Qjet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.