Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Steering play - options?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  70eldo 
#1 ·
I have a slight play in my steering. Is there anything I can adjust to reduce or eliminate the play? Or do I have to replace hardware?

I checked the joints and they are OK. The play seems to be internally in the steering gear.

#2 ·
Bump
Noone ever fixed this?

#4 ·
Assuming the coupler is tight where the steering shaft meets the gear box, you will see a jamb nut and screw slot on a bolt at the top center of the box itself. Loosen the jamb nut and turn the screw a quarter turn clockwise and tighten jamb nut. If it feels the same, I would look at tie rods and idler arm for play.

#5 ·
Thanks! I've seen this adjustment by that screw on a jeep and wasn't sure if it would be the same on the Cadillac. I will try this out and go from there. Tie rods and idler arms have been replaced a couple of years ago. I am sure I can see the steering 'axle' turn before the steering housing without resulting action within the play movement. That is why I presume the play is within the steering housing.

#7 ·
OK, I will be carefull. ThnX!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.