472 issue - on a 69 deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 472 issue - on a 69 deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok, I don't know the proper terminology but there is a kickdown switch next to carb on drivers side, I ...
    disturbio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 DeVille convertible, 72 sdv - RIP

472 issue - on a 69 deville

Ok, I don't know the proper terminology but there is a kickdown switch next to carb on drivers side, I believe that it downshifts a gear when you step on it..... well it came apart somehow so I disconnected it. I can't tell a difference now. Is that switch not what I think it is

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Re: 472 issue - on a 69 deville

A picture would help to be sure. But I think you are talking about the idling switch (which is on the driver's side of the carb as far as I know). It engages a little more 'gas' to idle higher when the Climate Control is engaged.

The vacuum connection to mine broke off. But since my A/C-pump is hooked off it doesn't serve a purpose anyway.

http://db.tt/Nwqy1rGz

I believe the part that kicks idle up is on passenger side next to carb. I have a pic here of the part. Two wires come out of it, the piece that held it to throttle came apart and im questioning if it does actually need to be hooked up again

Any advice is appreciated

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Someone with a 69 Shop Manual should help you out, because it seems a different setup than my 1970 engine

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

there is a solenoid with a plunger that sits ahead of the throttle arm and basically cracks open the throttle ever so slightly to increase idle RPM's during operation of the A/C compressor.

Ya ill have to find my chilton somewhere.... ya the ac thing is on the opposite side if this contraption

SWEENDOG1969 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90k 1969 Cadillac Hardtop Sedan Deville

You are correct,that is the trans kick down switch, The arm fell off mine it it shifted a little harsh so I had to figure out how to fix it. I dont know how bad yours is broken but the shaft the arm went on was worn (years of being wobbly i guess) so i built it back up with i dont remember either epoxy or jb weld or quik steel,then put the arm back on and put something on the end so it couldnt come off. I also dont think you can find them...or at least I couldnt back when it happened to me. But if your car shifts smooth without it I wouldnt worry.

Yeah i cant detect a difference and it still seems to downshift when i gas her...

FoxRodder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Coupe Deville, 87 Mustang, 00 Mustang

I just did some quick searching as I was curious how you could get a downshift without it hooked up. This may or may not be true but I found a person's post that claimed that you can get a 3-2 downshift by vacuum or what have you at higher speeds, but that the kickdown switch is needed for a 3-1 downshift for example at a lower speed where 1st gear could still be within reach. Guess we have something to test out. I have not done too much wide open throttle with mine. Not sure if my switch or solenoid are in operating condition. It seems there are endless ways to rig up a momentary switch of any kind on the throttle linkage or on the gas pedal. Some folks said they had them mounted on the floor board or wherever and manually actuated the switch for their downshifting pleasure.

MrEightball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado Fleetwood
    Quote Originally Posted by disturbio View Post
    Ok, I don't know the proper terminology but there is a kickdown switch next to carb on drivers side, I believe that it downshifts a gear when you step on it..... well it came apart somehow so I disconnected it. I can't tell a difference now. Is that switch not what I think it is
    I have a kick-down switch on the driver's side of the carburetor, attached to the throttle. Mine is, and always has been, disconnected. A previous owner cut the wires. However, like you, I can't tell a difference.

On the TH425 transmission, there is also a vacuum kick down. I honestly don't understand how everything works, but when I put my foot in it, it downshifts.

I have yet to find an exact replacement for my switch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Its just strange that it came apart yet nothin happened.... just chalk it up to better mpg now i guess

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.