70 DeVille rear end leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrEightball
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 70 DeVille rear end leak in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Have a 70 Coupe Deville with a rear end leak. It appears to be from the front seal where the ...
    Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

70 DeVille rear end leak

Have a 70 Coupe Deville with a rear end leak. It appears to be from the front seal where the u-joint is. Is this replaceable externally or does it all have to come off?

Also, if it all has to come off, that isn't in my budget now to have done(I'm getting too old to do it in the driveway with just jackstands) can anything be done to help the seal for now? Thinking of some type of seal helper that those autopart stores sell to fix leaking seals.

Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrEightball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado Fleetwood
    I believe the answer is yes. I haven't worked on a 70 rear differential (my 70 Eldo is front wheel drive). There should be a pinion seal that can be removed with a seal puller and a new one pressed/tapped in. You will need to remove the U-joint and [most likely] the pinion yoke.

I have a 1970 Cadillac shop manual at home. I'll check when I get back and see if I can't give you some more specific info.

Brandon

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Re: 70 DeVille rear end leak

Jeff,

Ok, this actually looks more involved than rear differentials I've replaced the pinion oil seal on. Here are the pages from the shop manual that cover it...
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70eldo likes this.

Yah I saw those in the manual. It is a little more involved than I wanted. I had just hoped that there was an easier repair.
    I am wondering if those additives that swell seals would work and if so, which one-- an engine or transmission or power steering seal rejuvenators would work. I'm just talking about a temporary fix until I can swing having it done.
    Jeff

That, I have no knowledge about. Is it leaking rapidly? Or more of a slow drip? Meaning, can you just keep topping it off with fluid?

It's actually pretty awesome that it's possible to remove the pinion gear without taking the entire differential out. To change the pinion bearings on my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I have to take out the axles, differential and everything prior to being able to get the pinion out. However, it is much easier to change the seal.

It is certainly a leak but not so bad that I can't drive it. I can keep topping it off with fluid. It is just a PITA to keep sliding a drip pan under it when I park. It will leave a stain about the size of a dinner plate under the rear end when parked. It won't do it when sitting tho, or just after a short drive. Only when it is warmed up. I have cleaned the vent.

smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    Hi Jeff,

I had the same leak last year. I bought the rear pinion seal from az for under $10 I think. I went to my great (I use for my modern car) mechanic and he said he'd do it for 1hrs labor ($80) but I had to make an appt in a few weeks and I didn't wanna wait.

Went to another guy who is across the street. He's good but I wouldn't have him do major work. More like brakes and front ends etc.

He charged me $50 to install. It's easy if you have a lift.

Also if you get it done make sure they add a small bottle of gm gear fluid additive to the gear oil. It mentions special fluid in the service manual but wasn't specific.

When I picked my Daisy up the rear end whined. I thought the guy screwed it up. I went back and we took a ride. He said oh I forgot to put the additive in. 10 mins later no whine. A year later and the differential is fine.

Sounds like it would not be too bad but my problem is that I don't have a lift. Probably worth having someone do it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.