Harmonic Balancer check
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Harmonic Balancer check in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So, I ordered a piston stop to test top-dead center on piston 1. Despite the vehicle chooser, the tool didn't ...
    MrEightball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado Fleetwood

Harmonic Balancer check

So, I ordered a piston stop to test top-dead center on piston 1. Despite the vehicle chooser, the tool didn't actually fit my car. So I made my own.

The point of this exercise was to confirm/deny the accuracy of the timing mark on the balancer. Turned out to be off by about 2.5 degrees.

In the photo, there are three Blue RTV marks. The left/right are the stop positions when the engine was rotated clockwise and counter-clockwise. The mark in the middle is top-dead center.

Thought someone may find this useful. Until I saw this done by someone, it never even occurred to me that the mark could be off. I found a guy who worked on a car that turned out to be off by 28 degrees.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1371434011.664428.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1371434055.226137.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Harmonic Balancer check

Post-Script:

While setting the timing, I noticed something. The timing mark "jumps" around about 2 - 3 degrees while the engine is running. This, plus the fact that the marks on the harmonic balancer are off 2.5 degrees, plus the mileage of the car, plus the educated guess that no one has changed the timing chain/gears ever...leads me to beleive that I will be changing my timing chaing/gears in the near future. And, of course, this means I'll be doing several other things since I basically have to take the entire front of the engine apart. This always inevitably leads to, "Well, while I'm in there..."

And another Summer gone. lol

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

it can also jump around if the distributor driven gear is worn out (too much gear clearance)

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    it can also jump around if the distributor driven gear is worn out (too much gear clearance)
    The distributor, itself, is brand new. However, I can't speak for the mating gear. I'll have to inspect it when I get the front cover off. The old distributor gear showed some wear, but nothing alarming.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Most likely a worn timing chain.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.