Seat & Window Relay/Breaker Location?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Seat & Window Relay/Breaker Location? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys, I just took delivery of a '69 DeVille today. The car is basically in good shape, but the ...
    Siorus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '69 Sedan DeVille

Seat & Window Relay/Breaker Location?

Hi guys,

I just took delivery of a '69 DeVille today. The car is basically in good shape, but the power locks, windows, and seat do not work. I've done some searching around and it sounds like the most common problem is either a relay or a circuit breaker (I've seen it referred to as both, I'm not sure whit it actually is) that's used for all three systems. I kinda need to get the power seat working to drive it; some clown moved the seat all the way back and even at 5'11 I can't reach the pedals comfortably.

I looked in the fuse box under the center of the dash and didn't really see anything; there's one 30a breaker (I think) in there, but I'm not sure what it's for, I don't see a way to reset it, and pulling it and reseating it didn't get me anywhere. The seat moved for just a split second the first time I got into the car, but it hasn't worked at all since then. All of the other fuses appear to be fine from what I can tell.

My shop manual hasn't shown up yet so I'm kinda stuck for the moment. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Seat & Window Relay/Breaker Location?

The circuit breaker gets overheated and breaks and resets itself. There is no resetting. If its not real hot to the touch, its not tripped out. You should start by verifying power to the seat motor with either a test light or voltmeter. The power locks work thru a fuse. Usually a 20 amp one. Again, test both sides of the fuses with a test light and the key in the run position. The test light should light up on both sides of the fuse if the fuse is good. Do the cigarette lighters work? Most Caddy's shared the power locks with the lighters on the same fuse. Check all for dimes or tinfoil in the sockets 1st. I would clean the power seat switch contacts if the seat motor has voltage to it.

Thanks for the advice. I spent some more time poking around with the car (unfortunately my voltmeter is at work and I can't find my test light at the moment, so I didn't do any real diagnostics) and found that, basically, most of the electrical system is messed up. The blower motor only operates on low speed and it runs continuously, even when the climate control is set to off. The car has no brake lights, side marker lights, license plate lights, dome lights, or underhood light. The rear running lights work (very) intermittently, but the turn signals all work fine. The original radio also works, but I have no dash lights or wipers. There's a few loose wires under the hood and some splices that have fallen apart.

So I think I'm going to have to start at the fuse box-with the key in the 'run' position-and see what has power and what doesn't. Are there any relays or breakers or anything anywhere on these cars besides what's in the fuse box? Like inside one of the kick panels or under the dash or something?

Someday I will manage to buy an old car that I can just drive for a while before I start working on it.

Well, I went to work, grabbed my DMM and checked out the fuse box. Basically the entire "lower half" of the fuse box, if you will, is dead. There's two rows of six fuses, right? And if you're on your back with your head under the dash, the "bottom" of the fuse box will be the side closest to the dashboard itself. Well, the lower three fuses on both sides have no power to either side of the fuse. Coincidentally, those are also the fuses for the dash lights, the taillights, the windows, etc.

Can anyone point me to a wiring diagram for these cars? My manuals are still a few days out.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

The wiring diagrams are in the factory service manual. All the fuses for this car are what you see in the underdash block. There's no underhood light on this car, so at least that's one less thing to worry about.

I don't envy you having electrical problems on these cars. Hopefully, you can fix it all up quick and easy and get down tothe business of enjoying your new toy!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.