Holley on a 1970 500?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Holley on a 1970 500? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey all, I'm looking for any experience, wisdom, etc. regarding my Eldorado's 500c.i. Engine and Holley carbs. Basically, I want ...
    MrEightball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado Fleetwood

Holley on a 1970 500?

Hey all,

I'm looking for any experience, wisdom, etc. regarding my Eldorado's 500c.i. Engine and Holley carbs.

Basically, I want to replace my old divorced choke Q-jet with a vacuum secondary, electric choke Holley.

The 1970 Q-jet for the Eldorado was Eldorado-only. Meaning all other Caddy's that year (except for commercial which had their own) had a different carb. The Eldorado had an 800cfm carb.

Now, I've used Holley's carb selector, read through various model specs and am still not sure which model would be best for my application.

My engine has no modifications. And I'm not planning to race it or do burn outs. I simply want it to effortlessly take off and purr smoothly through all gears and speeds.

Anyone have any Holley experience they'd care to share?

Thanks,

Brandon

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Chris Cornett is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Platinum Mist
    Im assuming that Qjet is a spreadbore? I dont think Holley makes a spreadbore larger than 650 cfm which will starve that engine. You will have to swap intakes or run an adaptor which is less than optimal. I like the Avenger series because they come with electric choke, quick change secondary springs, clear sight plugs, and reusable gaskets on the bowls and metering blocks for jet changes.

Yes, they sell adapters to go from square bore to spread bore. I don't know what the implications of that are on efficiency/performance. That said, the intake manifold is nearly flat in order for everything to fit under the hood. So fuel and air literally make a 90 degree turn already.

So, yeah, I'm looking at an adapter above 650cfm. I just have to make it all fit under the hood.

I still think your best option is to find a good Qjet builder. If done properly they are great carbs. I have been running them on my Buick Gran Sports for years. Get with these guys http://www.thequadshop.net/

Thanks for the info. I sent them an email inquiring about my Eldorado-only carb and divorced choke. Lol. Curious to hear back.

They are top notch. I am running carbs from them on both of my Buicks.

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Holley on a 1970 500?

I would stick with the qjet it is a really good carb. Rebuilding them aren't that bad when you get used to them, just more parts than edelbrocks and holley. Just becareful not to bend the rods when putting back together. If you don't like the chokes you can run it without them no problem.

Cady70 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 70 Deville, 90 Allante

Back in the 80s when I was younger I wanted to hot rod my old caddy. It was a 68 Calais. I dueled out the exhaust, put the adapter on the stock intake and slapped a Holley 750 on it. Aside from the normal stuff I remember having to change the front bowl to a side loader to clear the AC compressor and dremeling the exhaust manifold to fit the throttle. In hind sight I'd say it probably suffered from too much carboration. It didn't bogg out or run poorily, a matter of fact it was a little quicker off the line. But that was negligable compared to the smell of all that exhaust/unburnt fuel flooding the car when you took it for a cruise. For what it's worth I'd stick with the Quadrajet. I've had a 70 Coupe since 2000 and ran the same Quad on it all this time. It does fine. It's not a race car.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

I know I posted them in other threads as well, but these guys helped me out with a lot of questions on the 500cid and I just received new (custom) headers from them for my 70 eldo, so i really like to recommend them:

cad500parts.com

They have a lot of parts especially for the 500cid and have a lot of experience and knowledge on tuning and racing with them. They can help you out with the Q-jet or other carbs as well.

SWEENDOG1969 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90k 1969 Cadillac Hardtop Sedan Deville

does anybody know if the edelbrock intake/carb combo for a 472/500 will fit under the hood without modification? What about trans kickdown swithch?

Swede dog,

I have yet to find an intake manifold, other than original, that will fit under my 1970 Eldo's hood. In fact, until I put new rubber bumpers on, the air cleaner hit the hood insulation with stock parts. And I haven't quite talked myself into cutting a hole in the hood. Lol

The original manifold is so low profile for a good reason

Tomorrow I will have new headers from cad500parts installed. I will post pictures!

Yes, but that has to be the most inefficient intake I've ever seen. The air/fuel literally has to make a 90 degree turn. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MrEightball View Post
    Yes, but that has to be the most inefficient intake I've ever seen. The air/fuel literally has to make a 90 degree turn. Lol

Unfortunately the good-as-it-gets without cutting the hood.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.