1976 Eldorado brake
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1976 Eldorado brake in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 76 Eldorado that has two issues I feel. One is the brake noise as you drive down ...
    jsa03781 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

1976 Eldorado brake

I have a 76 Eldorado that has two issues I feel. One is the brake noise as you drive down the streets. It sounds like
    they are loose and ready to fall off. I have had 2 mechanics look at it and they both said free floating brakes. But it
    just is so loud it drives me nuts. The other is the exhaust has been replace but it still sounds like there is no baffling
    in the system. It comes off as a rumbling low rider. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Re: 1976 Eldorado brake

Can you describe the brake noise?
    Is it a squealing noise, or more of a rubbing sound? Rattling? Clicking? Thumping?

Can you tell exactly where the exhaust noise is coming from?
    You may have an exhaust leak upstream of the muffler.
    How much of the exhaust was replaced? Muffler? Headers? Tail pipe?

Ok the brakes sound like loose metal jingling around on every crack in the road. They say the brake pads are the culprit. As for the exhaust I replace everything from the manifold back. But not the Headers. But the noise seems to be coming from the back end slash middle of the car. I just think that a car of that calibrator should be a quiet as possible. I would rather see it sneak up on someone they say Hey here I am.

I was hoping someone with more experience with your model would chime in by now.
    Here are a couple more questions to help:

Disc brakes or Drum brakes?
    Does the noise occur only while braking? Only while not braking? All the time?

If you have drum brakes, I would pull the wheel and drum off and inspect for loose or broken springs.

MrEightball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado Fleetwood
    Is it possible that the front noise isn't brakes but one of your CV joints? I had one go and it sounded exactly like rattling metal going down the road. And applying the brakes would affect it as the direction of torque changed. So I thought it was brakes at first. And I couldn't tell by simply looking at the front axles that anything was wrong.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    I was hoping someone with more experience with your model would chime in by now.
    Here are a couple more questions to help:

Disc brakes or Drum brakes?
    Does the noise occur only while braking? Only while not braking? All the time?

If you have drum brakes, I would pull the wheel and drum off and inspect for loose or broken springs.
    The Eldorado has disk breaks in the front since 1968.

The sound can be anything from something hitting that dust shield in front of the disk (would make a chime sound). Any chance you can have it recorded/filmed while driving?
    Does it sound hitting bumbs only or repeatingly with the turning of the wheels?

Every bump in the road is what seems to be triggering it. If I happen to be in town or in a parade I keep my foot on the brake just a bit and it is quite then.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Sounds like something is loose. Better start by checking the break line

You should be able to jack up the front, take the wheels off and try moving the pads with a finger or piece of dowel. If they flop around, that's your culprit. But the calipers should have them pretty close to the rotor. If the do flop around, have someone push the brake pedal and make sure both sides move. If you have a frozen caliper, the pad may not be pushed up near the rotor.

If the pads don't move, you may want to look at your tie rods, ball joints or even the rubber bumpers between the frame and front end parts. Look for any wear from metal on metal contact points or play in joints.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jsa03781 View Post
    ...the noise seems to be coming from the back end slash middle of the car...
    I just want to double-check from where the noise is coming. Everyone seems focused on the disc brakes on the front...
    I would have someone stand outside the car and listen. The source of sounds can be very decieving when sitting in the driver's seat.

I still think the drum brakes in the rear are the place to look. They have more potential for rattling noises than disc brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    I just want to double-check from where the noise is coming. Everyone seems focused on the disc brakes on the front...
    I would have someone stand outside the car and listen. The source of sounds can be very decieving when sitting in the driver's seat.

I still think the drum brakes in the rear are the place to look. They have more potential for rattling noises than disc brakes.
    That is a really good point. Sound "telegraphs" through drivetrain/body parts. I had a rattling in the rear end of my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. But it sounded like it was in the middle in the front while driving.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.