I have a 72 deville that I put a new edelbrock carb on because the Rochester had a lot of problems and I got the edelbrock cheaply (but not used). I had to put two 1 inch spacers in to get clearance but everything is tight, the correct 4 bbl pattern and all. I hooked everything up, (the vacuum hoses were everywhere and only 1/2 hooked up before but it ran and drove) including a hose that is under the a/c compressor I didn't notice. The car runs great, throttle is much more responsive, idle is steadier, but now the car barely shifts from 1st. I have to rev it up way beyond the shift points, and then it shifts very hard.