71 Sedan heater core problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 71 Sedan heater core problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi! I'm new to the forum with my 1971 Cypress Green Sedan DeVille. My Father in Law was owner 1 ...
    Emerald Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 Sedan DeVille

71 Sedan heater core problem

Hi! I'm new to the forum with my 1971 Cypress Green Sedan DeVille. My Father in Law was owner 1 and put a mere 24K on the odometer. The attached pictures were before new rubber and detailing.

I am working to replace a leaking heater core but am having trouble finding all the fasteners for the heater case. Reading from the shop manual "Remove two screws and two nuts securing heater case to cowl and pull case away from cowl" I found the two nuts on the engine side of the cowl and one screw on the interior side near the bottom right of the case. So far I am stumped as to the location of the last screw. Has anybody done this job before? Should I be looking inside or under the hood? I am so close to and yet so far!

Thanks for looking at my post,
    Bob
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Corey468 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 71 Sedan heater core problem

A couple of weeks ago I tried changing the heater core on my '76 Fleetwood, but I got stuck as to how to remove the heater case. It's quite a pain. I hope you figure some way to do it. For now, my heater core is bypassed until I have more time to fight with it. Good luck!

Emerald Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 Sedan DeVille

Re: 71 Sedan heater core problem

Success! All four of the heater case fasteners are nuts despite what the shop manual says. Two of the studs come through the cowl and the evaporator case. They must have forgotten to mention to that! They also don't tell you to remove the glove box or a couple of the instument panel supports. Removal of those items may not be required but they make the job easier. Now to find a worthy replacement.

----------

By the way the screw I thought I found on the lower right of the case inside the car was actually a long bolt that appeared under the hood as one the studs going through the flange of the evaporator case.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.