New to Me 65 coupe deville no papers
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, New to Me 65 coupe deville no papers in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a 65 coupe with no papers where do I find the vin so I ac do a ...
    tom strand is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965 deville coupe

New to Me 65 coupe deville no papers

I just bought a 65 coupe with no papers where do I find the vin so I ac do a search for the papers. any help would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BUCKSTRONG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1966 coupe deville

Re: New to Me 65 coupe deville no papers

I have a 66 coupe and the VIN is on a plate inside the driver's sidedoor post.

sorry forgot to say car was painted tag was removed maybe it is in the trunk I will have a look have not looked at every thing in there yet Is the vin on the frame or some other place. thanks for your reply

cadillacbart is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 DeVille Convertible (current project)
    Not 100 percent positive, but I think the vin is stamped under the door sill plate on my 68 DeVille convertible. This is in addition to the regular vin plate on the dash. At work so I can't look right now.

I have done some Google searches and not been able to find anything. but well I was looking I went on to the OPG web site they told me to look on the fire wall for a tag. Thank you for your replies. I will keep looking!

1973_Eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1973 Eldorado convertible

The VIN was on the regular cowl tag on my '70 deVille. It was also on a tiny mild steel tag in the customary place at lower left corner of the windshield, but this windshield tag literally rusted away to nothing.

Also remember you're not looking for a late style 17 digit VIN. My '70 Cad had an 8-digit VIN, and my '73 Eldo has 13. Look at the top of the cowl tag.

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Where else did you find the VIN? I have a 70 also and not able to read the vin. I understand it is also on the frame/somewhere else but I have not had luck finding it. There is a 'hidden' vin somewhere that I am trying to find.
    Jeff

1973_Eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1973 Eldorado convertible

I reported slightly wrong above. The VIN IS on the cowl tag of my '73 Eldorado, but it is not on the cowl tag of my '70 deVille.

As Buckstrong says above, in the early 60s, the VIN was a stamped, stainless steel tag riveted to the front of the inside of the driver's door jamb.

Around 1968 or so, it moved to the lower left corner of the windshield. By 1970, it was a mild steel tag, which on my car, had rusted away to nearly nonexistent. Also in 1968, GM began stamping a number derived from the VIN on the engine (on Chevrolets) to combat engine theft. Possibly any stamped-in numbers found on the engine could be used, on a '68 or newer car.

The laws vary widely, but some states still allow titling and licensing a car with a destroyed or illegible VIN. A state patrol officer will inspect your car, and it will be assigned a new VIN, and they will give you a new tag with that number on it, and will tell you where and how to attach it to your car, or do it for you, generally somewhere on the cowl area. As a last resort, check and see if your state allows for this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.