69 CDV Convertible Refresh project
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 69 CDV Convertible Refresh project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    wavedog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 69 deville convertible

69 CDV Convertible Refresh project

Hi everyone, I figured I would introduce myself and start a thread to document my progress. First a little background on the car. I bought it in I think it was '86 or ’87 as a weekend cruiser. I was only out of high school a couple of years so I drove it around and had some fun. It was in pretty good shape then and even in the local parade one year carrying a politician who was a friend’s brother in-law. Then other things came up and it sat for a few years. It was a little beat up from sitting so I had someone do some quick body work and fresh paint on it to clean it up and drove it for a couple more years. I ended up getting other interests and once again it sat. Unfortunately I never had a garage and it sat out in my parent’s back yard for years. I also learned of proper storage the hard way and not to wrap it up on a tarpaulin. It kept the rain water out but not the humidity.. I would still fire it up once or twice a year and sometimes even get it out for a spin. I did end up getting it into storage by renting a garage for the last 8-10 years. The last 5 years or so I’ve been telling myself I was going to start working on it again. I would make the effort every year but seemed like every time I would go to get it something would break, one year break lines let go, another year the water pump, and another was the fuel pump. Each time I would just fix the issue and park it back in the garage. A lot of stress at work last year and I finally said that is it I need something to keep me occupied and my mind off work. So I had her towed to my house last summer to start the caddy refresh. I started a story book of pictures on photobucket and hope to keep it updated as I go. http://s867.photobucket.com/user/wavedog/story/10193
    70eldo and talismandave like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillacbart is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 DeVille Convertible (current project)
    That's awesome. Love all the pics. It's gonna be great!

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: 69 CDV Convertible Refresh project

Very nice. Thanks for joining up and sharing with us. Beautiful car! I luvs me da triple white!

amunderdog is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I’ve been a member for almost 6yrs now and this is only my 3rd post. I have been to the site and learned a lot from the group over the years though.

As you can probably see from the pictures the motor and tranny are out. The motor is at a machine shop right now and I’m waiting on an appraisal for a rebuild. The tranny will be next for rebuild soon too. I scraped and sanded the engine bay and under carriage as far back as the rear axle so far. I painted it all with POR 15. I have one spot on passenger rear floor that needs some work. I just painted it for now, lots of tiny holes and pretty thin on most of it. The rear channels that hold the body mounts are gone too. I’m not sure that is something I will be tackling or sending out. I would like to do as much as I can myself Anyone have any experience with these? Are they available or is it a fab job?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Car still looks pretty nice, despite having sat for a long time. I'd be interested to see what the undercarriage looks like.
    Nice job on the engine bay btw. It looks really nice

FoxRodder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Coupe Deville, 87 Mustang, 00 Mustang

Keep up the good work

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

She'll be a treat when she's done. Don't lose hope!

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Too bad cars still don't look like this. At least we at the forum have style.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

You have done a wonderful job so far. I´m sure she´ll be awesome when the work is finished. I like white '69 convertibles Looking forward to see next step.

The motor is at the machine shop and the tear down is complete. Overall not too bad but I am glad I decided to pull it and have it checked out rather than just change gaskets and timing like I had originally planned. There are a couple of broken rings and parts like cam were starting to show some wear. I'm not sure of actual millage on the motor and the fact that the pickup tube was loaded with plastic I'm sure didn't help much.. I added pics of the motor and tube http://s867.photobucket.com/user/wavedog/story/10193#. Still waiting on estimate and trying to decide if I should go all stock or make some modifications?? already know bored and new piston and rings, valves hardened and cam etc.. , but do I get stock cam or take it up a knotch? I plan on just cruising this around and gas mileage will be bad enough.. but I do like to stomp the pedal. I guess the price will probably decide but any advice?

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Extra CHUNKY!

Good to have it taken care of. You two will have a long future together.

well, finally got the quote for the motor rebuild.. came in at $4800 for a pretty much stock rebuild. I knew it was going to be more than a sbc but that is more than I was planning on spending so guess I'm going to have to shop around.
    Does anyone know of a good shop in the Rhode Island, Mass area?

Finally got back at it. The heat is making it slow going out there in my driveway. The motor is at another shop and waiting on estimate. I started to clean the remaining undercarriage. Going to remove the gas tank but the nuts are frozen.
    Does anyone know where I can get a set of the “J” bolts that hold the straps up? I’m afraid I will snap them on removal and if not I wouldn’t mind a new set if someone makes them anyways.

Gas tank is out, wasn't as bad as I thought. Just used air gun and took it easy. still wouldn't mind bolts if anyone knows where to find them?? Tank had a shipping label on the top (picture added) so guessing it was replaced at one point? must have been sometime during its first 15 yrs. Started rust removal on frame and under body from rear axle back now. Cleaning up stuff like intake, ps pump, ac pump, oil pan, etc. and sent out pulleys and fan to be powder coated too. Haven't got estimate back yet on motor (told one week and tomorrow makes 3). Really surprised there aren't more shops around they always seem to be busy new pics added - http://s867.photobucket.com/user/wavedog/story/10193

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.