Carb gasket differences
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Dirtywaterdiver
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Carb gasket differences in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My car is a 68 coupe deville but I recently researched and determined the engine block is a 71. I ...
    Deeznuts08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Coupe DeVille

Carb gasket differences

My car is a 68 coupe deville but I recently researched and determined the engine block is a 71. I need to know which carb mounting gasket is needed for my setup. At napa they have a gasket for a 71, which is different from the one they have for a 68. My intake manifold has the u shaped port for the exhaust to warm up the bottom of the carb also, I could not get that pic to upload though. Could having the wrong gasket cause the carb to not work properly? Could it cause the idle mixture screws to be ineffective? Could it cause it to bog at WOT? Thanks for the help?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The picture on the left is the gasket that napa auto parts says is for a 71.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Re: Carb gasket differences

According to Rockauto, the left gasket is for a '71 and the right is for a '68... The question is Which carb have you on your engine: 68, 71...? Serial number could give us a clue.

Not sure which number is the serial number. Oreilleys, autozone and car quest all said the same as napa. I'm gonna try it and see the difference cause right now I can't figure this out and it's frustrating.

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The serial should be behind the main housing, behind the secondary throttle plate linkage. If it's a q jet. Depending on the carb to it won't run right with the wrong base gasket.

So, I've tried both gaskets and neither one has changed how the carb performs. Screwing the mixture screws all the way in or out changes nothing. This is really stumping me. The timing is set right, the plugs and wires are good, the points,cap and rotor are good. The car will idle fine and rev up ok until the secondaries start to open, then it bogs and sprays fuel up out of the carb toward where the air cleaner would be. When driving the car, it feels very underpowered. I have changed a bunch of vacuum lines and don't know where to go from here. Two carburetors from the same place and the same problems on both which leads me to believe that it is not a carb problem. Both rebuilt carbs from a place called carb exchange. Any help please.

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

One of those gaskets should be right. Is the butterflies opening on the secondary? Make sure the rod is connected that open them on top of the carb, this is how the secondaries are metered. Is the float set right? Does the secondary butterflies have tension?

All of those things are ok. Thanks for your help caddygas. I am going to do some more wrenching on it next weekend. Hopefully I can get it figured out.

Dirtywaterdiver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Convertible

That cross over on the intake is for warming up the carb during cold weather,
    or at least that was the thinking.

It is not needed and you can get threaded plugs, tap it. and block the channel closed.

You can also plug it off at the valley pan gasket using strips cut from an older pan gasket

Have you also got the metal base shim?

Have you tried spraying carb cleaner around the base to see if it stalls out?

Check the intake with flat stock to see if it is not a tad warped.
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.