Cowl tag and ID help needed, 1973 Eldorado convertible.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Cowl tag and ID help needed, 1973 Eldorado convertible. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all. New user, first time post. I've purchased a '73 Eldorado convertible, and I'm trying to learn some stuff ...
    1973_Eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1973 Eldorado convertible

Cowl tag and ID help needed, 1973 Eldorado convertible.

Hello all. New user, first time post.

I've purchased a '73 Eldorado convertible, and I'm trying to learn some stuff about it.

Here's a photo of my cowl tag. If I'm reading this right, my car was made in the 4th week of September (1972) but is a '73 model, and was just the 925th made? Lots of Internet searching tells me the production sequence numbers started at 100001, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

FWD means Fleetwood? On a Fisher tag?

Any info available on the next three lines? TR 452 99 A PNT (paint)

(09D September, 4th week) A65 E Y LFKI

C J W

Any help with this is much appreciated, and I promise more questions to follow. Thanks.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: Cowl tag and ID help needed, 1973 Eldorado convertible.

What I do know is that production of the following model year starts in September. For Example, 1996 model year Cadillacs began production in September of 1995 (mine's a 12/95).

Other than that, I couldn't tell ya much anything. Based on common sense, I'd imagine you're reading it right. I'll let one of our seasoned vets confirm or deny that.

Welcome! Let's see some pics of the Caddy!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

The car is an early production 1973 model, built the fourth week of September, 1972. ST73 means 1973 model year. 6EL67 means Eldorado Convertible. FWD000925 mean Fleetwood body number 925, which has nothing to do with build sequence. For that, see the last six digits on your VIN. The next line is your interior trim (TR) and paint and top codes (PNT). 452 is usually a black leather bench seat. A is usually a black convertible top. 99 is likely a firemist color (option), a purple of some sort IIRC. All the rest of it are option codes. Go buy a 1973 salesman's data book off ebay. You'll find all the option and paint codes, and a ton more info on your car, in that.

Now let's see some pics!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Craig, you da man!....

That is the kind of great knowledgeable people that hang around here....(and guys like me who just like shiny things!)

I would love to see more pictures too. Giving us just a "body tag" shot is like lifting your skirt just high enough to see some ankle!

Welcome to the forum!

Holy cow guys! Thanks for the responses. I kind of expected an email notification that someone had replied to my thread, but I didn't get anything; and didn't know anyone had responded.

Anyway, the #99 color appears to be "Saturn Bronze Firemist", which I'm fairly sure is original. It has white leather interior which appears to be original, and the top is white, but likely not the original top.

Anyway, here's the first pic I took of it:

P1020862.JPG

I know the hubcaps on it now are '71 Eldo (as shown in the first picture), but they're too nice to get rid of right now, because I don't have the correct ones, and not sure what they are. This is the second mystery: when I got the car home and was digging through the trunk for the first time, I found two hubcaps like the one shown in this picture, with the body-color centers, which clearly are the same color as this car. They are not painted, the colored centers are an applied vinyl of some sort. The centers are metallic (firemist) and for all the world they look like the exact same color as the car. But the conundrum is this; these style hubcaps are supposedly only correct for 1974-1978 Eldorados, and my Saturn Bronze is a one-year-only color! So how does my very early '73 model year car have '74 or later hubcaps, with a '73 color?
    Attached Images

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Beautiful! Really looks like a nice well kept original. Can't wait to see and hear more from you and that gorgeous Cadillac!

Matches the brick of your house too!

...and one more thing to throw in to the mix. I don't know how they did things on Clark street in '73, but I did work in the Fenton Missouri Dodge truck assembly plant for a while, and I can definitely verify those trucks were not built in any kind of apparent logical numerical sequence. I looked at the VINs many times, and each truck had a very dis-similar VIN number from the truck going down the assembly line in front of it. I was not able to look at many cowl tags, so I can't comment knowledgeably about those.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

you'll have to get into the forum settings for you account to set up the email notifications

Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

That's a gorgeous car! The color matched wheel covers were probably purchased by a previous owner who liked them (1975's Firethorn is similar to your car's color). The wheel covers in the first pic appear to be correct to the car.

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/cad.../bilder/11.jpg

77CDV, thank you for the compliment.

I will look in to the '75 color and see what I can learn about it.

The caps shown on the car in the first photo are 1971. The correct '73 cap is this one, it looks just like '72 but doesn't have opening slots around the outer edge. I don't have any of these.

eldocap1.jpg

These are the '71 caps that are on it now. These look good, but I'll eventually replace them with the right ones if I find them.

P1020901.JPG

The '75 color Firethorn, appears to be a lot more 'red' than my car. Here is a good page with some different Cadillac colors and names:

http://www.libertyoldtimers.com/index_en.html

I also did a Google image search for 1975 Cadillac firethorn, and saw lots of good pictures there, many on Flickr and other pages.

I might decide to go with the body-color caps even though they are incorrect, but I'll keep a set of originals for it too. I only have two of the body color caps, looking for more. And looking for a set of '73s...

...as if this were the only work this car needs...I just bought it and I have plenty to do.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by 1973_Eldorado View Post
    The '75 color Firethorn, appears to be a lot more 'red' than my car. Here is a good page with some different Cadillac colors and names:

http://www.libertyoldtimers.com/index_en.html
    Most likely, previous owner bought these 74-78 hubcaps and got them painted in the carīs color. Probably these hubcups were sold as spare parts with no paint (or just primed to paint in the carīs original color).

BTW, congrats for your beautiful caddy. Itīs gorgeous with any of the caps shown here

The inserts are not painted. They appear to have some type of vinyl applique or something, for sure not paint.

But 77CDV may be on the right track. My caps are not '75 Firethorn, but they might be a '78 color which appears to be much closer, called "Canyon Copper"

My car needs bumper fillers, so I'll become even more familiar with all this soon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.