Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New guy here

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Stevoreno 
#1 ·
Hey folks. I just picked up a gently used '65 hardtop sedan deville today. $900. I didn't get any really great bagain or anything, but me and my 15 year old will have fun getting rid of all that rust. Quarters are in really bad shape, as is the driver's side back door. The floors seem pretty solid and the trunk pan too, which is odd since you can look out of the trunk and see the driveway. But the frame is in good shape from what I can see so far (just brought it home three hours ago) and the thing runs fantastic. There's an oil leak somewhere. the top of the engine is pretty oily. Any ideas on that would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has a line on patch panels, or maybe a cheap donor with no motor or something, i'd love to hear about it. I look forward to hearing from you guys.

#3 ·
#6 ·
Check out http://www.opgi.com/

I recently recieved my free catalog for caddies and they have a pretty decent selection of parts although more extensive for earlier models. My 68 is hit and miss and have yet to see any patch panels for it as mine is rotten in the quarters and fenders. I contacted one of those cadillac yards out west and they wanted an outrageous amount of money.

#7 ·
Yeah. I was given figures from $500 a side to $200 a side. I'm going with $200. Which isn't real bad
considering its original sheet metal. I was warned away from OPG. Apparently if they don't have your sheet metal sitting on a shelf, you're apt to have your money tied up for months while they wait on their vendor. Plus I've read a lot about repro stuff having to be worked over a ton so it will fit. Not worth it to save $50 per side. I'm going with Arizona Vintage Parts I suppose. I'll let you know how it goes.

#10 ·
Yeah that's the car. It's not in real great shape, but we'll get it looking pretty good. It'll be a real cool first
car for my kid, plus we get to do a project together. Still don't know about those wheels though. The boy
really thinks they're cool though. I'll try to put up some pics when I get time to fool with it. It'll be neat to
document our progress. Gotta figure out how to do pics on here first.

#11 ·
It would be great to follow your restoration process with the shots you upload.

You can tick on the image icon on the upper menu when you are writting your post and upload the images from your computer using the forum server (limited number of pics uploaded).

You may also upload them to an external server like this: http://postimage.org/ selecting pics in your computer (or camera/card plugged to it), upload them and you will get the codes for your images. copy them ("hot link for forums" or "thumbnail for forums") and then paste them just after the text in your post.

#12 ·
Ok, well it's 1:18 am and I just got home from work, so this will be short for now. My patch panels came
while I was at work. Just unpacked them , and I couldn't be happier with what I got. They cut out up into
the fender skirt pocket well past the radius on both sides. I got the inner fender up to and including about
four inches of the trunk floor. More than I need. I'm really happy and would recommend Arizona Vintage
Parts to anyone. I've been getting some pictures, and I'll take some of my panels, and get them posted
soon. Super excited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.