Electrical problem.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Electrical problem..... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I'm relatively new to external regulated alternators. I have had some previous experience, but not much troubleshooting. I recently ...
    Super70DeadSled is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Superior end loader Hearse

Electrical problem.....

So I'm relatively new to external regulated alternators. I have had some previous experience, but not much troubleshooting. I recently got a 1970 Hearse, and it had an 8 year old battery. It ran great, but sometimes it would run the battery down trying to start it. So I just decided to buy a new battery. But at idle, it's around 12.8 or so volts with only the radio on. With the headlights on, it drops to 11.5 or so. I opened the voltage regulator and it's brand spankin' new. I believe that the alternator isn't too old either. There is no singing as if the diodes were bad. And no grinding like the bearings being out. The yellow and blue wires coming from the connector on the alt. going to the regulator are both around 2.5 volts, and the red wire stays consistent from the battery terminal, to the alternator, to the regulator.

Is the regulator bad?

I've checked all of the fuses, and did a once over with the wires, (no breaks, or cracks and no corrosion).
    Am I missing something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Re: Electrical problem.....

Welcome to the forum, Super70, Hearses are always interesting and we like to see them preserved or restored

12,8 does not seems too low at idle. Did you check voltage with engine running at 2.000 RPM? It should be 13,4-14,4 Volts.

With headlights on, does the "gen" tell-tale light glow?

Are you having cold starting problems with the new battery?

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Great​ screen name!

FoxRodder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Coupe Deville, 87 Mustang, 00 Mustang

I just put a used alternator in my 68 of the original style external regulator because I needed to give the later model internal regulated one back to my buddy. Once I got everything wired up properly I also found something in the neighborhood of 12.8 at idle which I found odd being used to 13-14 volts with my newer cars. I'm thinking thats just what you get with an oldschool alternator?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.