Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orlando
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Mmaturo
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orlando in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Area recommendations. I just impulse bought a very pretty 60 Eldorado convertible but it immediately needs help I think. Need ...
  1. #1
    Mmaturo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1960 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16

    Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orlando

    Area recommendations. I just impulse bought a very pretty 60 Eldorado convertible but it immediately needs help I think. Need a run through of electrical I think and a transmission seal. Anybody know of a place that works on these things in the Orlando area.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Bro-Ham's Avatar
    Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,899

    Smile

    Welcome! Congratulations on the 60 Eldo, please post some pictures! Good luck with getting it into ship shape.

  4. #3
    Mmaturo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1960 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16

    Re: Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orl

    Thanks! Pictures soon as I'm traveling and away from my computer. No idea how anything works but will be interesting to learn. First time I have bought a car without researching the heck out of it so unfortunately see $$ in my future.

    Stupid question number one. I tried to put gas in it and tank only had maybe 8 gallons in it (owner said) and I put 4.5 in and it backed up the pipe and overflowed on me. It cannot possibly be full. Is there a trick to getting gas into an old pipe/tank in terms of the flow? How big is the tank? Not sure my gas gauge works either so who knows.

  5. #4
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmaturo
    Thanks! Pictures soon as I'm traveling and away from my computer. No idea how anything works but will be interesting to learn. First time I have bought a car without researching the heck out of it so unfortunately see $$ in my future.

    Stupid question number one. I tried to put gas in it and tank only had maybe 8 gallons in it (owner said) and I put 4.5 in and it backed up the pipe and overflowed on me. It cannot possibly be full. Is there a trick to getting gas into an old pipe/tank in terms of the flow? How big is the tank? Not sure my gas gauge works either so who knows.
    I'd say bad gas gauge. No other reason I can think of where the tank would only hold 12 gallons

  6. #5
    Mmaturo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1960 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16

    Re: Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orl

    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    I'd say bad gas gauge. No other reason I can think of where the tank would only hold 12 gallons
    I am 100 percent sure the gauges are probably done. Do you think anything or possibilty about the speed of the gas going in would cause a back up or anything if it was not really full? I wouldnt think so in my 26 years of owning cars but oldest was a 75 buick not a 60 caddy. On this thing there seems to be no way to get the nozzle tight in under the trunk edge so the nozzle is not all the way in the tube like on normal modern cars so it seems the normal back pressure when a normal tank is full does not cut off the flow here as easily.

    Good news is that the engine runs well tranny seems good and body, chrome, and top are good. The rest... Not so much. It's a driver but would be nice to know engine temp and amount of gas.

  7. #6
    Bro-Ham's Avatar
    Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,899

    Smile

    Did you try easing the gas in slowly? Just guessing, I have never owned a car that old before. Good luck and have fun with it! Can't wait to hear more of your experiences with what must be an incredible car!

  8. #7
    Mmaturo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1960 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16

    Re: Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orl

    Yeah I did but overflowed again immediately. So if nothing like a big air bubble would stop flow I guess maybe it really is full but just seems odd. Gauge did go up so not sure what's up. But gas spewing over... Yikes. No idea of the gas mileage on this thing but at least I know some is in it for my likely shorter drives till I find someone to go over it.

  9. #8
    creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    roberts creek b.c. canada
    Posts
    3,013

    Re: Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orl

    I googled fuel capaciy of 60 cad. eldo. and it shows 24.95 gal. capacity.

  10. #9
    Mmaturo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1960 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16

    Re: Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orl

    Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    I googled fuel capaciy of 60 cad. eldo. and it shows 24.95 gal. capacity.
    Thanks, can't wait to get home next week and start the download of info.

  11. #10
    CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Madrid (Spain)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,586

    Re: Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orl

    Welcome to this forum, Mmaturo, congrats for the purchase of such an exclusive cadillac. Donīt worry; soon you will have your carīs problems solved and you will have one of the greatest cars ever built.

    My caddy and my '73 dodge use to back up the pipe when there are less than 1 gallon in the tank. What I do to solve the problem is turning the nozzle until it stops happening. When tank is full sometimes it overflows.

    mileage for this model was:
    _________extra-urban / city / highway / average combined:
    mpg (imp.): 11-14...... / 6-8.. / 10-12.. / 10

    So, if I was sure tank is full, I would fill the tank every 200-225 miles. During this first contact with your caddy, you may take a can of gas in the trunk to test confidently how is the tank and the fuel sender though itīs better avoiding to stretch gas in the tank as dirt deposited through years may get into the circuit so your carb might suffer the consequences.

    Waiting for those pics

  12. #11
    Mmaturo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1960 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16

    Re: Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orl

    Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    Welcome to this forum, Mmaturo, congrats for the purchase of such an exclusive cadillac. Donīt worry; soon you will have your carīs problems solved and you will have one of the greatest cars ever built.

    My caddy and my '73 dodge use to back up the pipe when there are less than 1 gallon in the tank. What I do to solve the problem is turning the nozzle until it stops happening. When tank is full sometimes it overflows.

    mileage for this model was:
    _________extra-urban / city / highway / average combined:
    mpg (imp.): 11-14...... / 6-8.. / 10-12.. / 10

    So, if I was sure tank is full, I would fill the tank every 200-225 miles. During this first contact with your caddy, you may take a can of gas in the trunk to test confidently how is the tank and the fuel sender though itīs better avoiding to stretch gas in the tank as dirt deposited through years may get into the circuit so your carb might suffer the consequences.

    Waiting for those pics
    Thank you! Very helpful. This will be an adventure. Good news is the 210/225 miles per tank is easy to remember as its as far as my other cars go (i have two other high hp Audis with small tanks and 13mpg if im lucky around town. I will try to get a few pics downloaded tonight.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

  13. #12
    FoxRodder's Avatar
    FoxRodder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Coupe Deville, 87 Mustang, 00 Mustang
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Posts
    140

    Re: Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orl

    Looks like another Orlando sucker, errr I mean car enthusiast with a classic caddy impulse purchase. I just got my 68 Coupe Deville few weeks back from a Buddy. I'm getting to learn old stuff too. Its similar stuff to yours. It runs and drives but needs some this and that. Mostly needs body work.

  14. #13
    Mmaturo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1960 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16

    Re: Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orl

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxRodder View Post
    Looks like another Orlando sucker, errr I mean car enthusiast with a classic caddy impulse purchase. I just got my 68 Coupe Deville few weeks back from a Buddy. I'm getting to learn old stuff too. Its similar stuff to yours. It runs and drives but needs some this and that. Mostly needs body work.
    Lol hopefully we both find a place. Driving around randomly today I think I may have found a guy for mechanical issues near downtown. Hole in the wall shop I passed going to an appointment and u turned in my rental car (not living in Orlando permanently yet) when I saw a 57 t bird and a 65 mustang in the place. My comments on what was wrong with my car he nodded and smiled and said common. Sold there alone but said he had a regular 62 caddy owner. In my case body and paint excellent. Anything requiring power...screwed. I did a Mechum purchase. Restored was a liberal term on my car.

  15. #14
    FoxRodder's Avatar
    FoxRodder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Coupe Deville, 87 Mustang, 00 Mustang
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Posts
    140

    Re: Well I will be here often w a million questions. First Cadillac mechanics in Orl

    I know of a few places around town for certain things so if you end up needing any specific kind of service I might know a place. I try to do as much of my own work as I can so I don't have a regular mechanic I would reccomend. I do reccomend you check out the local car cruise-ins. The most well known is friday and saturday evenings at old town in kissimmee. I am a regular with my 87 Mustang on fridays with some friends with various cars. There are also several saturday shows that are once a month. Each saturday there is one in a different down town including, winter garden, sanford, and lake mary. There are other ones as well. Check out midfloridacruisers in your search engine. They list most of the central florida car shows and cruise ins.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting