Well I bought one....and....HELP! 1979 Seville basket case - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Well I bought one....and....HELP! 1979 Seville basket case in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by scottmudd ...My wife and daughter hate the car, but I am very happy with it. Attachment 0 ...
    Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Re: Well I bought one....and....HELP! 1979 Seville basket case

Quote Originally Posted by scottmudd View Post
    ...My wife and daughter hate the car, but I am very happy with it.Attachment 0
    For better or for worse, I bet no one else in the neighborhood has a car like it. In this era of cars that all appear to be characterless bubble butted blobs, it seems refreshing to see a car with a classic and elegant silhouette that was impressive in its day, and proving to be timeless now, and most importantly, is so unlike the all of the cars of today that are so alike. Plus your diesel Seville maybe gets 30 MPG?

At some point, probably after a few people stop you to load your car up with compliments, and congratulate you for the wisdom of your fabulous automotive choice, then the wife and daughter may begin to realize and appreciate that you march to the beat of a different drummer, and real individuality is truly priceless these days.

Enjoy the car, it is a beauty!
    scottmudd and scottmudd like this.

pacificnwrider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE Yet

WOW! that's SO NICE! I LOVE the factory grills! Looking at pictures of that behemoth on the snout of mine make me crazy! I can't wait to get it off, even if there's a paint color change; I'll live with it over the overbearing schnoz that's on there now. Yours is BEAUTIFUL! shines like new! I also like the wire wheels(which again, I wish mine had). It's really a beauty! have you checked your fuel mileage for your diesel? I've read posts which say they can achieve mid 20's. No doubt my daughters will share the same opinion as your loved ones...GREAT! more for me! as long as they keep their seat belts fastened when the duck down in the seat when driving by people they think they know, LOL!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Scott that is a gorgeous car! Just wait until they happen to be with you when people start swarming you and showering you with compliments in parking lots. They may not grow to love it but they will learn to respect it!
    that car will turn peoples heads, and eventually their hearts.

scottmudd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Current 1987 Brougham, 1979 Seville, 1994, 1998, 2006 SDV's

Well, we are a couple months deeper into the car and I now have everything tidied up. Thanks for all the notices. Once the radiator hoses were replaced the pressure forced leaking from the thermostat and water pump so I had those replaced. Then lately I was having issues with the battery cables on the side mounted batteries (2 for the diesel) so i had new top mounted batteries put in with new cables and now we have no leaks and the car always starts. This is a picture with my grandson Tanner after the Seville was washed but before it was clay barred and detailed.555460_10151417057822429_1243804480_n.jpg

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Gorgeous, just bloody gorgeous!

How could anyone not Love that car!

If they haven't come around yet a good attorney could handle divorce/adoption arrangements for you?
    Just sayin'.....?

shwhitley is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '75 Sedan DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by pacificnwrider View Post
    Ya know Longear, what I like about the 76-79 Sevilles is the unasumming look to them. Maybe it's just me, but there is a "simple, tasteful" elegance to them. A non car enthousiast or a non caddy enthousiast wouldn't probably look twice at one, even though it was the most expensive, luxurious caddy manufactured, with the exception of the series 75 limo.
    I agree with your statement regarding the vast and pronounced "beak" caddy put on the front of those poor cars...you'll pardon me but it's like a sweater on a poodle! My hope is to do exactly what you mention and sell it to that caddy enthousiast who's looking for just the right acoutrament to go with his new leapard skin upholstery and ghost flame paint job.
    I was really looking for a 77 or a 78, for the sole reason that I liked the steering wheel a little better. I bought this one primarily because of price. I know it's in poor taste to throw out dollar values and amounts, but I'll share anyway. The agreed price was $700. I'm having it shipped up to me from Reno to WA which I project will cost me another $500.
    for a total price sitting in my driveway of $1200-$1300, I get a 35k documented mileage dealer installed engine, 2 owner garage kept, new paint 8 years previous car. Even if I threw another $2000 into it (which I'll probably do) the owner documented history since 1982, new paint, and updated engine seem like they'll make it worth that money. That $2000 would buy me new front seats(which aren't horrible to begin with) a new transmission if needed(bench rebuild, I'll do the removal and installation myself), new wide whitewall tires, A/C repair, and other miscellaneous.
    Good Deal? Bad Deal? Heck I don't know....anybody want to offer an opinion about whether I got ripped off? LOL!
    um, no you didn't get ripped off. Even if you have to spend a couple of thousand to get some repairs done, you'll still be coming out ahead considering what a good one of these is going for on ebay. Plus you can always brag that you got the car for $700 and make everyone green with envy! Good on you! I would love to have one of those!!

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Quote Originally Posted by scottmudd View Post
    This is a picture with my grandson Tanner after the Seville was washed but before it was clay barred and detailed.
    I LOVE that two-tone combo!

Thanks all for your kind words. I've just sorted the dome light from eBay and will be having my mechanic replace that...next thing is to get the tranny serviced. I know there are a lot of different external parts connected with the tranny, but it's been hard shifting and possibly leaking (slightly brownish almost sticky fluid) so I am debating on where to take it to for service...my diesel guy or the dealer...any thoughts?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmudd
    Thanks all for your kind words. I've just sorted the dome light from eBay and will be having my mechanic replace that...next thing is to get the tranny serviced. I know there are a lot of different external parts connected with the tranny, but it's been hard shifting and possibly leaking (slightly brownish almost sticky fluid) so I am debating on where to take it to for service...my diesel guy or the dealer...any thoughts?
    I would not take it to the dealer. If thats a diesel, it should have the TH400 trans. The sticky brown fluid sounds like no one ever changed it (does it smell burnt?)

Sorry I thought these responses would bounce into my email but they don't, I gotta fix that. I haven't taken it in yet for the tranny but I don't remember the fluid smelling burnt. I did just buy, on ebay, an NOS AC Delco sticker for the air cleaner as well as an NOS 5.7 Litre Diesel sticker for the air cleaner. What I was thinking of doing was taking the air cleaner cover to my paint guy and having him strip it, repaint it black, put the new stickers on, then clear-coating it...cool huh?
    bigm57ict and bigm57ict like this.

Roadmaster75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 Eldorado Biarritz

I agree on the TH400 being durable ... but,

There are several quick and inexpensive areas of "on car" inspection/adjustment/service for the TH400
    that you can explore...or, a trusted trans guy.

Vacuum to the modulator is essential for proper upshifting.
    Check vacuum at the modulator that comes from the carb or intake manifold.
    Make sure the vacuum you measure at the manifold is indeed present at the input to
    the modulator. If not you have a bad hose or fitting.
    If the modulator is suspect, then replace it ..... it is cheap and takes about 5 minutes to screw in.

Also, there is an on car "governor" adjustment that a competent trans shop could do in minutes .

Enjoy your car!
    mike

The Gold is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 El Dorado

Nice cars !

I agree that classic lines are better than the now common blurbs.

Hope that diesel engine holds up. Doesn't it have fuel injectors?

Maybe your trans has a sticky valve (?) or like suggested, vacuum line leaks.

Anyway, both you guys have nice cars on the making.

Driver-8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Seville, 1999 Jeep GC Ltd

Congrats on the Seville.

Yes, please remove that grille, you would most likely need a small repair and fresh paint-coat on the hood ( they usually leave paint damage beyond wet-sand/buff). Quite often, there are OEM grilles for our cars same any '77, '78, '79 of varying condition for reasonable price on ebay.

RE: the converter. Mine is removed as of this year, I installed a long tubular resonator in the converter's place to maintain the original sound (or lack-of) which is appropriate for this car anyhow. Maybe placebo, but the car runs better w/o it.

althegut is offline Cadillac Owners Member

79 Seville keep it EFI

----------

keep it EFI

fmbjogger is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Looks like a great car. Glad you found one you like. Get a few niggling problems addressed and have a blast. I always loved those first Sevilles. The one I looked at and wanted to buy in the late eighties was (I suspect.) a flood car and I passed on it. Was a great drive and lots of fun. Kevin is right about the grille. You can probably recoup the cost of the proper parts by selling it. There is always someone out there with more money than taste.

I can say that because I drove this for ten years!

Not a hater, but they do look better without!
    Very rare to see a Sedan deVille with this modified vinyl treatment. Would have loved to have seen it when you owned it. Nice !

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.