1975 Sedan DeVille General Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1975 Sedan DeVille General Questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am purchasing a 1975 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. It's a great car, strong engine, etc. But since I've never had ...
    shwhitley is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '75 Sedan DeVille

1975 Sedan DeVille General Questions

I am purchasing a 1975 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. It's a great car, strong engine, etc. But since I've never had one of these, I have a couple of general questions.

1. It needs new tires. I remember when I owned a 93 Cadillac and when my Mom owned Lincolns, they both had auto leveling systems that needed to be shut off when the car was put up on a lift or jacked up. Does the 1975 have auto leveling and is there a switch to turn it off when I replace the tires?

2. Of course the vinyl top needs replacing. Can a body shop do that, or does an upholstery shop have to do that?

3. It has a bench seat and doesn't have auto headlights...it doesn't say Calais on it anywhere, but is this a Calais model?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Re: 1975 Sedan DeVille General Questions

Auto level control was standard only on Fleetwoods for that year but was an option for the rest. You can check if that unit is equipped with that feature by looking if there is a bottle with a compressor attached in the driver side of the engine compartment (near the passenger compartment). In most cadillacs of that age equipped so it does not work.

First of all you need taking out the vinyl and see if the roof needs to be "cured" from rusted or rotten spots. In that case it should be repaired first by a body shop. Maybe this same shop is willing to do the new vinyl but it depends on the experience they have on this issue. Possibly you must take the car to an upholsterer to do the vinyl when the body work is done. There is a possibility that the roof just needs a sanding and a priming. In this case maybe you can do it by yourself to save some money or the upholsterer may do it for some additional cost if you do not feel prepared or have no suitable place to do it.

There should be some badge saying Calais, Fleetwood or De Ville in some place of the car. If they are missing you can check the Body Number plate, which is located under the hood on the cowl, near the top. Check this web to translate codes: http://automotivemileposts.com/cadil...d1975cadi.html

There is a complete information about the features of this model on this web (Production, specs, colors, trim, standard equipment, options...): http://automotivemileposts.com/cadil...lections.shtml

Great thank you for that info! The paint is a faded Green, the hard top a dark green. I'm hoping a good buffing will shine the paint up some. Supposedly the car was in a garage for many years and the interior is a perfect green/yellow stripe

Corey468 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

You can look at the interior doors to see if it's a Calais or a Deville. The Calais didn't have the courtesy lights in the bottom of the door, and instead had 2 red reflectors. Also, the door-pulls were straps, rather then the plastic-hinged types that the Devilles had.

Here's a Calais Door.

1975 Cadillac Calais sedan by That Hartford Guy, on Flickr

Sedan Deville: (Note Courtesy lights, and different door pulls)

1975 Cadillac Sedan Deville by That Hartford Guy, on Flickr
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Damn those are some cool old interiors!

shwhitley welcome to the forum. Get some pics up of the new Cadillac, I love the big old ones!

Great looking old girl you got there. Can't wait to see her buffed out.

yeah, I was wondering if a professional buff wax would shine it up

----------

mine is definitely not a Calais. I love that brocade material!

Me too, Hated them in the day, but now they are just a wonderful time capsule of when auto makers would make cars with personality and cater to the individual. Now days everything is dumbed down so as not to offend anybody. When I heard talk of a book called "Fifty Shades of Gray", I thought it was about auto color choices!
    carnut, carnut, Bro-Ham and 3 others like this.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

If your car has level ride, you dont have to turn anything off. Cadillac used an air bag around the outside of the rear shocks to extend them when inflated, a Lincoln used air bags instead of rear coil springs and had to be disabled.

Thanks, carnut! another reason why Cadillacs are the gold standard of luxury cars...

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Automatic level control was optional for Calais/DeVille standard on Fleetwood Brougham, Series 75, Eldorado, and Seville. It was frequently ordered on DeVille/Calais. Look in the engine compartment for a small compressor like device, usually on the fender well or firewall. If there, the car has auto level.

The auto lights were optional on all models at that time. Both the Twilight Sentinel and the Guidematic, were optional - you could order either, or both together, which was frequently done.

If there is no script on the rear quarters, is there a script on the instrument panel? It should say "somewhere" what it is. The VIN also gives a clue, I believe it's the 2nd digit - should indicate model.

Your car is Lido green with a green "Metamora Plaid" interior - an optional fabric. The wreath and crest hood ornament was optional as well.

From the picture - it is a DeVille - Calais had Morgan Plaid or Sierra Grain Vinyl. You have hinged door pulls, also indicating DeVille trim.

Corey468 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
    The air compressor is on the passenger side, right behind the wheelwell. It has a small presta valvon top. It's the silver module in the picture. If you look closely you can see the valve.
    Attached Images

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

^Thanks, it seems this equipment was moved from the left side (hanging on the reinforcement bar) until 1970 at least, to this location for these years.

It's a DeVille, I didn't know the Calais would say that in script. I thought Calais was a trim model of the deVille. Glad to know the Lido Green and roof color. One of the things I love about the car is the big hood ornament!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.