70 DV Fuel lines. SS vs Nylon
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By smelvis
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 70 DV Fuel lines. SS vs Nylon in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello All, Hope yoos are well. Well I found Daisy a winter home and her revival continues. As some of ...
    smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible

70 DV Fuel lines. SS vs Nylon

Hello All,

Hope yoos are well.

Well I found Daisy a winter home and her revival continues. As some of you know who followed my other thread I was battling fuel issues from tank sediment. I had to get some summer driving in so I just loaded up on filters and changed them frequently. Now I'm tackling the fuel system.

I already dropped the tank and she's been rinsed and on her second 2 day soak in vinegar solution. After the first soak and flush I would say the interior of the tank looks to be in terrific condition. It really didn't look that bad even before I flushed it. It doesn't look rusted out at all just some particles in there and the sock was clogged and fell apart in my hands. I leaning on not even sealing it as there is no signs of leaks or rust but we'll see.

While I have her up and the tank out I am going to replace the fuel and brake lines. One has been replaced in pieces and the other appears to be the original. Talking with some of the other car guys at work I'm getting some surprising feedback. I was planning on buying a spool of steel line and was going to torture myself twisting, bending and flaring them into place.

The feedback has been "go nylon". The only cat that says stay steel is saying so purely as a stickler for originality. She'll never be a museum car so the thought of working with nylon sounds appealing. It would definitely be cheaper and faster. There are plenty of nooks and crannies to tuck them away safely. My biggest concern would be heat affecting flow but they don't really go anywhere near the exhaust. I would keep steel between pump and carb.

I would love to hear your thoughts and insight on this.

Just a little insight on her anticipated updates this winter:
    Front bearings, shocks, continue her hvac revival, rebuild ps pump, timing chain, new top and hopefully some paint....we'll see. At this time I'm feeling ambitious and planning on doing it all myself except maybe shooting the paint.

Cheers
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

klinebau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible Red

Re: 70 DV Fuel lines. SS vs Nylon

Your previous thread was an inspiration for me. I purchased a '70 at the end of September and have referred to your original thread from time to time. I would recommend a steel line from pump to carb from OPGI. They have regular steel and SS for very reasonable prices. The SS line that I purchased was a perfect fit. I can't advise you on material for the rest of the fuel or brake lines, but may be able to help with HVAC, suspension and wheel bearings. I got the HVAC system working on my car and have some extra parts that I purchased that didn't get used.

Thanks Klinebau.

Congrats on your new old lady!

Yeah I plan on staying w steel there. And definitely staying w steel for the brakes. Just might go w nylon for tank to pump.

Ill reach out when I get into the other shiznit.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Welcome back, have thought about you from time to time and hoped that your absence was enjoyment based. Your previous thread is an inspiration to me too. To get my butt dirty and start getting busy on mine.

Hey Dave,

Haven't really ha much to say lately. Just cruising and working. Now ill get to start digging into her again.

Btw did you get your caddy from eBay yet?

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Nope...still waiting by my heavily modified mailbox.....

akaBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 conv 58 CdV 60 conv 67/69 Eldos 67 CdV 72 CdV MORE!

I don't understand, smelvis, why you want to change the fuel line at all. Is the metal so badly rusted? I'd feel better having metal between me and even the most unlikely road debris being thrown up against the nylon (one of those sharp little granite rocks could've sneaked down to your roadways from New Hampshire. . . . ).

This happened to me once: the car faltered as if the fuel line or filter were beginning to clog up, so I put the car on the ramp and crawled under (these days I don't even craw to or from the pubs. . .). I eventually noticed the neoprene/rubber line between the tank and metal line was exceptionally dark (as if treated with a dressing), yet was not leaking. I looked closer, with my good eye, and discovered a network of fine cracks that were, under acceleration, allowing air to enter and mix with the fuel! As I advised Talisman Dave re/ getting his Fleetwood up, always go after the "soft parts" first on a long-stored vehicle.

If you ever go to your capital, d'ya think you could take a picture of the statue of Ann Marbury-Hutchinson at the Statehouse? She was family--and walked to her own drummer. Genetics. Go figure. Thanks!

Hi aka,

Interesting...just did a google search on Ms Hutchinson. She's kinda like a mother of RI. I had no idea. I knew about that rebel Roger Williams but never learned about her. I don't frequent the state house but it's close by and a beautiful building so maybe I'll swing by when I'm in prov next.

Firstly, all the steel lines need attention. The fuel supply is a spliced together mess of new steel, old steel and rubber. The return line appears to be original and i'm sure very brittle.

I already nicked a brake line this summer and those are going too.

For the fuel lines I was looking at the hard nylon lines not the rubber. They are the ones used in modern cars. I think Ford and Jeep actually started using them in the late 70's. I can get my hands on a roll for the bubble too so that's also helpful. Most feedback i have gotten has been positive. I was also worried about debris but then people ask me how many times have I cracked the fuel line on my 05 GP and I always reply good point....never.

We'll see, still undecided but leaning towards the nylon from tank to pump. If the brake lines and fuel lines were same size I would probably do all steel but I would have to buy 3 rolls of different sizes and a lot of waste.

Thanks for the feedback.

Stay tuned on Ms H

----------

To Clarify, I am not using nylon for brakes (obviously) but the brake lines are 1/4" and the fuel is 5/16" although I may bring it up to 3/8" (thats the free stuff)

akaBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 conv 58 CdV 60 conv 67/69 Eldos 67 CdV 72 CdV MORE!

That is a criterion of my own: is what I want to use now being used in auto (or Space) applications? You are probably right about the odds, but I wouldn't put it past those New Hampshireans to salt the roads with their product. You can tell if a potential projectile is from there because it'll be stamped in very small print, "Don't tread on me." Therein lies the problem. . . .

Please keep me up-to-date with Sister Ann. Her own sister, Elizabeth, was prominent at the time, as well. My line of descent originates in a Maryland Colony family.

Say, mayhaps one day in the arena of vascular surgery, nylon will be an option, and you can buy wholesale; "one foot for me, one for the car. One foot for me. . . ."

KUTGW. (Keep up the Good Work!).

BC

1973_Eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1973 Eldorado convertible

I installed nylon fuel lines in a '63 Impala I'm working on. After some searching, I found that Advance Auto Parts stores carry inexpensive nylon-to-steel, nylon-to-nylon, etc, fittings. (the Zone, O'Reilly's, Car Quest and NAPA all didn't have them at the time). I was conscious about where I routed them that would be affected by either heat, or chafing/rubbing against anything. If you use the hard nylon, make sure it's routed and mounted well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.