58 cadillac dash bulb replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 58 cadillac dash bulb replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I recently got a 58 series 62 and one turn signal indicator bulb and the instrument panel lights are burned ...
    58caddyman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 58 series 62 2DHT

58 cadillac dash bulb replacement

I recently got a 58 series 62 and one turn signal indicator bulb and the instrument panel lights are burned out, I can get the instrument panel loose but I can't get it to pull
    out. Does anybody know how to replace the bulbs in the dash? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 58 cadillac dash bulb replacement

Is the speedometer cable disconnected? If not, unscrew it from the transmission. That should give you the needed space.

That makes sense, how does the column shift lever connect, do I have to do anything with that? Thanks for the answers.

akaBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 conv 58 CdV 60 conv 67/69 Eldos 67 CdV 72 CdV MORE!

Are you anywhere near the San Fernando Valley? If so, I can put you in touch with a friend who can show you stuff. And things.

BC

unfortunately not, I'm in Montana.

Well, that's OK--it I won't hold it against you. . . .(just kiddn).

My (pink-ish, actually "beige" according to the factory) "62" Cpe is in LA (The Valley), but if you ever need advice or photos to help you re-vitalize your unit, let me know. Did you get yer bulbs replaced? Taking off the speedo cable from the back should give you room to r&r, and while it's off, you can cable-lube it before re-install. Also, the bake-lite in the oil pressure sending switch on the top rear of the engine is NOTORIOUS for leaking over time. To replace it, you need the special socket. So, sock it to it!
    BC

Sounds like we have the same car. I'm gonna try to get it out tomorrow. I think I'm going to have to do some cable work as the speedometer doesn't work, I'm guessing (hoping) bad cable. What do you lube it up with? Thanks for the help and advice, I'm looking forward to restoring the 'Ol girl, I'm sure I'll have to take you up on the advice or photos.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I've always used a very light coat of wheel bearing grease. You might find it easier to disconnect the cable housing at the transmission in order for the cluster to pull back. The inner cable comes out from the top once its disconnected from the cluster.

Well, if the cable has snapped, you may have to un-do both ends and remove it from either or both. There is actually a product called cable lube, but I suspect it is little more than a light lithium grease (from the planet Lythia, you know. . . .). Wheel bearing grease is a little too stiff (even more so than Wildroot hair cream!), not to say stiffening is a bad thing. . . .at times. . . . I'm going to try to get some photos posted if I'm allowed to. My friend Tim and I took the 58 on a tour/photoshoot, which included backgrounds like the Glendale Public Library, Topanga Canyon, the Santa Monica Pier, the Queen Mary, and the Griffith Observatory. Fun day, that.
    BC

bigm57ict is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Quote Originally Posted by akaBC View Post
    My friend Tim and I took the 58 on a tour/photoshoot, which included backgrounds like the Glendale Public Library, Topanga Canyon, the Santa Monica Pier, the Queen Mary, and the Griffith Observatory. Fun day, that.
    BC
    Of course, you plan to post some of these photos, right?

'Course! Gotta find 'em foist. . . . have a buncha others I think y'all might like, too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.