Gas Tank Problems 1976 Calais
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By talismandave
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Gas Tank Problems 1976 Calais in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 1976 Cadillac Calais that that I'm trying to restore and now that most of the engine work ...
    carolinamic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Calais

Gas Tank Problems 1976 Calais

I have a 1976 Cadillac Calais that that I'm trying to restore and now that most of the engine work is complete i'm moving to the fuel system and I discovered that the fuel tank in bad condition. I took the tank to the local radiator shop and they told me that its not worth being reconditioned. I also called a tankrenu dealer and they told me that it may cost any where from 375-500 dollars. I wasn't wanting to pay that much so its a last option.

My main question is whats the difference between a fuel tank for a 1977 DeVille (non fuel injected) and 1976 Calais (non fuel injected) because I can find those all day long on the internet but nothing for a 1976.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinamic
    I have a 1976 Cadillac Calais that that I'm trying to restore and now that most of the engine work is complete i'm moving to the fuel system and I discovered that the fuel tank in bad condition. I took the tank to the local radiator shop and they told me that its not worth being reconditioned. I also called a tankrenu dealer and they told me that it may cost any where from 375-500 dollars. I wasn't wanting to pay that much so its a last option.

My main question is whats the difference between a fuel tank for a 1977 DeVille (non fuel injected) and 1976 Calais (non fuel injected) because I can find those all day long on the internet but nothing for a 1976.

Thanks in advance.
    The 77s were the first year of the downsized cadillac, so I doubt the tank would be the same as the 76.
    I think 70 or 71-76 were the same though for the deville/ fleetwood.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Gas Tank Problems 1976 Calais

Someone recently posted that they had a tank for an early 70 Cadillac for sale here. they pulled it to restore and then found a good one and were going to restore and sell the old one. You might go back a couple pages in parts for sale and see if it was there.

Edit; sorry false alarm, after going through the parts thread I recognized this, I doubt it would be the same,http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tank-sale.html

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

My advice would be to search for 1971-76 with emphasis on 74-76. The 77 was different, the chassis was completely redesigned.

Cool and thanks everyone for their input. I make sure to keep you all informed on how it turns out.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

You may take a look at http://www.usapartssupply.com/cadillac.php cheking their online catalog.

77 tank fits only for 1977-79. Only way seems repairing or reconditioning an existing 1976 as no reproduction seems to be available. Maybe someone could custom make it but I think it would be even more costly.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

You might ask a wrecking yard if a Buick Electra or Park Avenue or an Olds tank will interchange. They have Hollander interchange books or software that would confirm or not.

thanks for all the replies and help guys. Sorry that I took so long to update this thread. What I ended up doing was just going with a gas tank for a 77 Calais. Although the body style was different it fit pretty well. Their were no cuts made, just some re adjustments of the straps. The neck sits a little lower but it still is in reach when I pump gas.Tank.jpg sorry this is not the best pic and the tank had been painted but it is proof that it will work.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Wow....that has been a while! Thanks for the update, glad everything worked out for you.
    carolinamic and carolinamic like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.