Oil Viscosity 1981 Eldorado 6.0
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Oil Viscosity 1981 Eldorado 6.0 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm using synthetic royal purple oil in all my vehicles. Based on the temperature chart in the manual and the ...
    mikedw7767 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1981 Eldorado 6.0

Oil Viscosity 1981 Eldorado 6.0

I'm using synthetic royal purple oil in all my vehicles. Based on the temperature chart in the manual and the temperatures I experience in California, it says to use 10w-40. I have two other newer cars that use 5w-30 and that's what is available right now. Will I get any benefit out of purchasing new, thicker oil? Or just use the 5w-30? The oil in there right now is clean and can wait another week for more to come in the mail, should I go ahead and put 5w-30 in there or wait and order another viscosity?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Re: Oil Viscosity 1981 Eldorado 6.0

Most new vehicles want the 5w-30 oil. But the 6.0 in your 81 is a bit different. It doesn't have a roller cam like newer cars do for one thing. However, I don't think the 5w will hurt, but 10w is what the manual says and that's what I'd go with.
    Just me tho..

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: Oil Viscosity 1981 Eldorado 6.0

10w30 or 10w40 will do just fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.