1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 02603sec
  • 2 Post By Bro-Ham
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay, so a couple of months ago I bought a pretty nice '76 Fleetwood. Black exterior, black cloth interior. I've ...
    Corey468 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Okay, so a couple of months ago I bought a pretty nice '76 Fleetwood. Black exterior, black cloth interior. I've been reading the forums here for awhile, but I finally got some time so I figured I would share this Caddy. Odometer reads 24,000. Not sure if that's accurate or not, but it doesn't matter. The car is in amazing condition considering that it's 36 years old. It still has the original bumper fillers and the original vinyl roof. The dash is pristine without any cracks, but there is a crack in the vinyl on the driver's door. Most of the features in the car work too. It's got the tilt-teloscoping steering wheel, cruise control, 8 track, passenger vanity mirror, and auto-headlights. It's still on the old R-12 air conditioning too! Not fully loaded, but fairly well equipped. Being in Southern California, that seems to have saved it from some of the major rust issues that typically characterize these old Caddy's.

Everyone who sees it is impressed, at least until I tell them it has 190 horsepower. Oh but the torque, that's wonderful stuff there. It has plenty to get it moving along easily. It's a huge car, and it definitely attracts a lot of attention. Of all of my friends, I'm the only one with a Cadillac. I mean, how many Asian-teenagers are there driving '76 Caddys?

There's definitely a lot more road noise then in modern cars, especially with the frameless windows. But the ride, I swear I can't imagine a car that's more plush then this one. People think Town Car's and Lexus LS's, are plush, that's not even scratching the surface.

Issues:

- Power antenna doesn't work. The motor runs, but the antenna mast doesn't move. All of the ones on eBay are pretty expensive, I was wondering for what years Cadillac had the same power antenna as in this car.
    - Rear door locks don't work. Is there any particular way to get the rear door panels off so I could look inside of these?

1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and 1986 Porsche 944 by Corey486, on Flickr

1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham by Corey486, on Flickr

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

First of all...dude....you rock! The car is killer and as someone who got their first Cadillac in their teens also, congrats on not only good taste, but also bucking convention and peer opinions. Take good care of that, you are now the caretaker of great American automotive history.

Bro-Ham is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Beautiful car!

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

And terrific car!

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Thats a great car. Congrats on owning a fine piece of american auto history. They're great cruisers and have lots of style. And no, a town car or lexus can't touch the level of comfort in these old caddies.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Welcome to this forum and congrats for that magnificent 76 FWB. Itīs amazing how she looks like new. Very probably she has just the mileage shown on the odometer.

Take good care of this baby

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

A beautiful stately Fleetwood Brougham! Sable Black with a black elk grain vinyl roof.
    I couldn't make out the interior trim but I'd venture a guess at Minoa ribbed velour in black. Very nice.
    The power antenna mast is a source of inconvenience in those years, try the generic auto parts stores for a less expensive replacement.
    Also, the 190hp specification is at the rear wheels, NOT the engine flywheel, the engine was producing a bit more than 190. It was also measured way low in the RPM scale as GM was terrified of being known as the gas guzzler company.
    A striking and majestic automobile. Take good care, there are few left.

Thanks everyone,

DouglasJRizzo, I'll go down and look for one. Thanks!

Oh, and it has the "Mansion Knit" cloth interior, done in black.

1976 Cadillac Interior by Corey486, on Flickr

Also, I answered my own question. I managed to find instructions for the door panel removal here: http://1976eldorado.com/door-panel-removal/#
    I read all through the shop manual, but there wasn't anything on how to access those doors. It's for the front, but I can see how the rear ones would be removed now.

It's definitely not a car that I plan on driving everyday, since the gas and parking would prove difficult. Rather, I hope I can keep it for as long as I have the storage space and funds.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Cory, you are correct. It is a Mansion Knit interior. It looks in exceptional shape too!
    I "think" there is a special tool for removing door panels.
    In any event, a beautiful "keeper"!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Awesome car, Corey! Congrats on picking one of the most incredible cars you could! She's a real beauty.

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006
    That is a great car corey! Great taste too. Need a trusty driver so you can ride in the back..
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

Okay, so I wasn't able to remove the upper rear door panels because I couldn't get the top of them to unlatch. But I found that with the rear windows rolled down, I could see the door locking mechanism in the rearmost portion of the door. After a copious amount of WD-40, they work perfectly again.

Now another issue I noticed is that the driver's side high beam is sagging a bit. The sealed beam appears to be secured by 2 screws, one on top, and another on the side. These then go in through a plastic tab, and through the metal to the back, where another plastic tabs secures it. Well, after 36 years, it appears that one of the plastic tabs in the back seems to have disintegrated, and as such the high beam now angles down. What are the little plastic tabs called and where can I find a replacement?

This is the plastic tab on the opposite side that's still intact.

20121123_095053 by Corey486, on Flickr

Here's the mounting screw where it corresponds to (This is the passenger side, the still properly-angled one)

20121123_095111 by Corey486, on Flickr

Bro-Ham is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Look at www.rockauto.com, find your car, look under "body exterior" and you will see "headlamp adjusting screw" like this:

DORMAN Part # 42124 {#4006204} Sealed Beam Adjusters
    Choose:
    ^ Ships from same location as parts in cart

It shows $2.62 plus shipping.

My 79 Cad had the same problem a few years ago with one of my lights so while I was at it I replaced all of the mounting screws for each headlight and then had a body shop professionally aim the headlights. It made a big difference - I could actually see at night with the lights shining in the proper direction!

Good luck!
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

Awesome, thank you.

Neil Clarke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 76 Sedan Deville

Nice machine
    A bigger brother to my black 76 sedan deville
    A great and lovely car to drive

I had similar issues with the headlights and bought those same adjusters
    I also had the antennae issue.... managed to lube it sufficiently to get it to move again as they are abit pricey to buy
    The aftermarket ones I saw didn't suit the top bezel where it goes thru the guard to I kept at my original and got it working

Enjoy it.. .and when you get bored with it ship to to me in Australia .... lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.