1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; How time flies! I can't believe how long it's been since I've updated here. I've been lurking around for a ...
    Corey468 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Re: 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

How time flies! I can't believe how long it's been since I've updated here. I've been lurking around for a while now, so I suppose it's about time I give an update on the Fleetwood.

When I purchased the car, I noticed what looked like white steam coming out of the air vents when the climate control was on, and eventually I realized that the passenger side floor was getting pretty damp. Uh oh. Heater core. It was a pain to change, but luckily I managed to convince a few of my friends to help me out. We spent a couple of afternoons gradually dismantling the dash, installing the heater core, and reassembling it. It honestly took a couple of attempts on different occasions before we finally figured out how everything was supposed to come apart. It has been a year now since we did that and hopefully we won't have to do that again for a VERY long time.

The car also had a bit of rust that was gradually creeping out from underneath the vinyl and that was starting to worry me. I found a local upholstery and body shop that were willing to work on it, so they lifted the rear portion of the vinyl, sanded, repaired, and painted the rust around the rear window. In retrospect, the rust wasn't actually bad at all (especially in comparison to what the rest of the country must have to face). Still, it came out very nicely, and now the car shouldn't have any rust issues for years to come (Cheers to California climates!).

(Please forgive the glare, it was really sunny out when I took some of the photos)

In addition the carburetor has been rebuilt, AC recharged with some R12 (that stuff is awfully difficult to locate), intake manifold gasket and a few other gaskets have been replaced, replaced the driver's door's weatherstripping, and replaced numerous bulbs in the car. I have to admit that this car has needed a lot more than I originally anticipated (as is true with probably all old cars), but it's still been a good experience. Every time I get behind the wheel and crank that 500 cu in monster over, I just get this big smile on my face.

77CDV and CADforce69 like this.

Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

Your '76 Fleetwood Brougham looks great, especially being triple black. Definitely worth keeping. As mentioned before, the roominess, ride and presence of these XL Cadillac are well above a modern "luxury" car like Lexus or Mercedes. Earlier today (Thursday) I drove my '76 Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine so I know what you mean about cranking the big 500-cu-in engine.
    77CDV and Corey468 like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Good to hear from you again. You car looks great. Good looking work on the roof. Great that they could save the top.

P.Katson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1966 Eldorado

May be 24k original miles. The woodgrain on the steering wheel rim looks totally intact.

Re: the heater core, I put one in a 76 Eldo which I think has the same dash. Chiltons manual said to remove the dash. I did it through the glove box hole and from underneath.

After owning this car for a while, I've come to realize that more likely than not the odometer has rolled over. There are a few too many small rock chips and minor wear items than should be present on a 24,000 mile car (reading 28,268 now). It has definitely been repainted, but it's still a very well taken care of car that probably still has quite a few more years on the road.

As for the steering wheel, yeah I was pretty surprised when I first saw how nice the interior on this car was. After digging through the old registration slips in the glove box, I found that the registration address was a law-firm in a business high-rise in downtown LA for just about all of its life. When I was chatting with my father yesterday, I mentioned the building address and he said that he had actually been there before and he remembered the building. It had an underground parking structure, so that probably helped preserve the interior if the first owner was just shuttling between a garage at home and a garage at work.
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ I am wondering if that isn't one of Paul Caruso's Cadillac Fleetwood. Paul Caruso was a neighbor of mine for many years in the '70's through the '90's. He was a well known attorney in Los Angeles whose clientele included many "MOB" figures. I only knew him in passing, but he had a chauffeur and the driver and the Fleetwood were often parked in front of his house. He had many Fleetwoods over the years and the were always black on black.

As an interesting side note, Paul Caruso house was directly across the street from Eileen Eaton's house. Eileen and her husband owned the boxing arena, The Shrine Auditorium, and were real movers and shakers in the world of boxing promotion. Eileen had a mid seventies Cadillac Fleetwood 75 limousine that was, like Caruso's, chauffeur drive. I served on the board of our home owner's association with Eileen, and even though she was well into her eighties, she was sharp as a tack.

Wow Orconn, you had some pretty impressive cars on your street. I don't hear of many personal chauffeurs these days. Unfortunately this Caddy doesn't have the infamy of being associated with Paul Caruso or the mob, rather it was owned by a lawyer named David Overholt. Just the other day I was asking my father, who's in his early 60's, what people at the accounting firms he worked at drove in the late 70's and early 80's. He said that most of them still drove big American automobiles and few if any had any imports. It's kind of interesting thinking of an era when these cars were more mainstream.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

In Los Angeles during the seventies the switch to European "luxury" cars was well underway. For instance in 1974 my boss, who was a Midwesterner from Rockford, Illinois, traded his Buick Electra 225 for a Mercedes 450 SE. The older generation stuck with the big GM and Ford products during the '80's, but the streets and garages of many areas of L.A. had already made the switch.

Of course, in California, the Japanese invasion was already a long way toward taking over the lower priced segments. But Cadillac and especially Buick still sold a lot of cars between the coasts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.