Locked out of 1972 cadillac coupe deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By gwdonogh
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Locked out of 1972 cadillac coupe deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am locked out of my 1972 cadillac coupd deville. The car has power door locks. This has happened to ...
    gwdonogh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1972 cadillac coupe deville

Locked out of 1972 cadillac coupe deville

I am locked out of my 1972 cadillac coupd deville. The car has power door locks. This has happened to me before but not with both doors. I can access the door lock "pulls" with a coat hanger but they will not budge. The key does not work on the lock it simple turns but does not unlock the door. When this happened before I took off the door panel and was able to activate the power door lock, but I am finding it hard to get into the car from the outside, which I have never tried before. Any suggestions out there, has this happened to others? Do you think a tow truck guy whould know how to get in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Locked out of 1972 cadillac coupe deville

Tow truck guy would, but costly. Try to use a rod to reach in and push the power lock button. I have done that on some newer cars that didn't have the lock buttons on top of door anymore. Good luck.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

A 1/8" dia metal rod would squeak past the glass and weather stripping to trip the door lock switch. A locksmith could get in but you're looking at $90+.

Hi,

Talismandave, and DouglasJRizzo, thanks for the replies. The problem/issue has been resolved for the time being. There may have been some confusion with my question. The car does have lock buttons on the top of the doors, which I was able to access with a coat hanger, but no amount of pulling would budge them. The last time this occurred, albeit with only the driver's side door, the same thing, I could get in and out via the passenger door, but I could not pull up the driver's door lock, nor would the power window switch cause the driver's side door to unlock. Long story short, I called my auto association and for $57 dollars canadian, they did the following. First he accessed the passenger side door lock switch, and activating this actually finally got us into the car. Then we tried the door lock switches but again, no luck with the driver's side door. Then I started the car and I rolled down the driver's side door power window, and using a flash light we looked down inside the door. The power door lock actuator on my 1972 caddy, has a rubber boot/top surrounding the actuater rod (bear with me here), this rubber boot is cracked and hardened and is causing the rod to get stuck. We were able to get a hold of this rod using a coat hanger type tool and pull it up, a bit, then I triggered the power door lock and presto! Back in business. I now have a visual image of where this actuator rod is, but I think with the window closed, it would be pretty hard to access it. Luckily it is a rare occurrance when this happens to both doors. So money well spent actually because the guy was really helpfull and gave me lots of advice. He suggested accessing the actuator and removing the faulty boot altogether, as it is only there to prevent debris from getting inside the boot, to maybe greasing the boot with a little vaseline. Anyway thanks again guys, I am happy to say I am back on the road.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

akaBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 conv 58 CdV 60 conv 67/69 Eldos 67 CdV 72 CdV MORE!

I was interested to know where in the world you are, but there's no indication anywhere that I can see. Not that I was going to snitch parts for my own 72 CdV. . . .

----------

I was interested to know where in the world you are, but there's no indication anywhere that I can see. Not that I was going to snitch parts for my own 72 CdV. . . . I just added this info to my own profile--didn't realize I hadn't. But I was cut off from adding "Central Ohio" to the California part, just as I was cut off from listing all my Cadillacs. Mayhaps I do something wrong?

Hi akaBC, I have updated my profile. Sorry.

akaBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 conv 58 CdV 60 conv 67/69 Eldos 67 CdV 72 CdV MORE!

Nice t' meetcha, GW. I tell the many snowbirds who come down here that I'm "BC" for "British Colombia." Then I tell the Mexican folk (sometimes in Spanish) I'm "BC" for "Baja California." The French (bofum) know me as "BC" for "Beauchamps!"

I'd like to see a pic of yer car. Mine's pretty well baked right now, but inside the deck lid it's sooooo beautiful turquois (forgot the actual color name). Plan to turn it into a convertible in that banana yellow of the late 70s, with a licorice Hartz cloth top and marshmallow interior. Now I've gone and made meself hungry. . . . .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.