Hello!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Hello! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; What's going down folks? I am new 'round here and also new to owning cars. I bought a 1979 Cadillac ...
    KakthePoleCat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville

Hello!

What's going down folks? I am new 'round here and also new to owning cars. I bought a 1979 Cadillac Sedan Deville this past Saturday. It's the first car I've ever owned and I am pretty amped about it. I am eager to learn about the car itself and how to maintain it. I bought it in pretty good condition. No rust and it runs pretty well. Right around 119xxx miles on it with new spark plugs in the v8. But, I do have a few questions any help would be greatly appreciated. First the guy who had it before me took good care of it, but is there anything I should check/change immediately. I only ask because recently, the past two days, when I start the car it dies. So, what I've been doing is revving the engine while it's in idle and once I get the car going she runs fine. But, it seems like maybe it's not getting the gas it needs for first gear. Also, the windshield wiper fluid doesn't work. The pump pumps, but nothing comes out. I saw a thread about that (and posted in it) and realize it's a common problem. So, I am going to try the suggestions stated there. Many thanks, here are a few pictures! 20121020141115943.jpg 2012102214294625.jpg20121022143252427.jpg20121022182705679.jpg I posted that last one to double check something. I just remove that white box to checkout the washer fluid pump, correct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Re: Hello!

Welcome! Nice 79! I have found using gas that does not contain ethanol makes a difference in how my 79 drives. As for starting, follow the instructions in the owners manual. I simply press the gas pedal down once and release slowly, car starts up after a few cranks and should keep running. Good luck, have fun with that cool car, and we are all here to help!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Cool old Cadillac. What an outstanding way to start car ownership! The engine looks nice and original and just dirty enough. Looks well kept.

Enjoy the car and the forum. It's a great group here.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Thats a nice looking cadillac. I can't say I've ever seen brown with a white top before.
    As for starting it, you will want to push the gas pedal to the floor and release two times.
    If it is cold out, it will take a couple minutes to "warm up." Even if it was cold in the morning, and you start it up later when its warmer, let it warm up a couple minutes before you take it on the road. It will run much better.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

A fine car! Post Road Brown with a white elk grain top. Rather uncommon combination.
    What you're experiencing is typical for late 70s carb equipped cars. That hesitation is from the primitive smog gear.
    When starting cold, according to the owners manual, press the accelerator to the floor and slowly release, then crank. Repeat if necessary. The engine will light off at a high idle, let it do this for 45 seconds, then lightly tap the gas and the idle will decrease. Don't be afraid to give it a few minutes to warm up. It will make a world of difference if you do.

Welcome!

Thanks for the start-up tips guys. Been giving her some time to idle and start up and she's been running good. I ordered a new pump for the windshield wiper fluid. Because the pump would move and everything, but nothing would come out. My roommate and I took apart the device, and what we concluded that the O-ring in the pump wasn't creating a vacuum seal. So, heres to hoping that is the problem. Cheers!

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    A fine car! Post Road Brown with a white elk grain top. Rather uncommon combination.
    It looks like #68 Burnished Gold to me.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Definitely a firemist paint. They all tended to burn out like that early on, where the hood and trunk would be dull but the sides would still shine. She looks to be a real beauty. Love to see interior pics. Enjoy your new-to-you 1979 Cadillac! The 1977-1979 Cadillacs were probably the best Cadillacs ever built. Not that I'm biased or anything.

20121022143353488.jpg 20121022151115974.jpg

The 8-track and radio work. Well, the FM radio works. The guy before me cut off the antenna because apparently it didn't work. The back is well maintained too. I just didn't get a good picture of it. All four cigar lighters work as well. I think the 8-track is cool and everything, but I think going to put a deck in there.
    Bro-Ham and Bro-Ham like this.

If you're going to be installing an aftermarket radio, I'd recommend getting another surround to cut up. That way, in case you sell it, you can put it back stock (plus intact surrounds are hard to find as most have been cut up for an aftermarket radio)

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

^What Kevin said. Also, after seeing your interior, your exterior is definitely Burnished Gold.
    Bro-Ham and Bro-Ham like this.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Regarding the radio, get a kit to attach to the aftermarket radio's wiring, do not cut the factory harness. The aftermarket radio requires a constant 12 volt source to retain clock and set station memory. I used the courtesy light wire on the light just above the climate control panel, its got power all the time. Get another radio surround bezel to modify. Color does not matter. You can transfer your color panel to the new bezel. if it were mine, I would have a brake fluid flush done and brake wheel cylinders inspected for seepage. Good first car!

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    Regarding the radio, get a kit to attach to the aftermarket radio's wiring, do not cut the factory harness. The aftermarket radio requires a constant 12 volt source to retain clock and set station memory. I used the courtesy light wire on the light just above the climate control panel, its got power all the time. Get another radio surround bezel to modify. Color does not matter. You can transfer your color panel to the new bezel.
    Okay all of that went right over my head. If I went into a Best Buy they would understand and be able to get me the things I needed correct?

Quote Originally Posted by KakthePoleCat

Okay all of that went right over my head. If I went into a Best Buy they would understand and be able to get me the things I needed correct?
    You might be able to get a harness at best buy (although I doubt they carry a harness for such an old car)
    As for the surround, that will be a junkyard item. If you can't get it, I'm sure a member here can get one for you.
    Go up to the RWD deville/ brougham forum and post in the parts for sale/ wanted sticky.
    As for the surround (the 2 dash vents, radio area, and climate control area that make up the center dash panel), the chrome and wood part is seperate from the colored vinyl part that matches the interior color. You only need the chrome and wood part. One from a 77-79 deville or fleetwood will work.

I get what you guys are saying now. Yeah and I watched a video online about how to do it and the guy hacked up the radio holder and I don't want to do that. I'm thinking that the new radio will be a summer job.

Just a couple of questions. I got everything running good after I took my car to the shop and it turned out I needed a new master cylinder and it was running great for about a week or two. But, now sometimes when I put my car into drive it turns off. The reverse works every time I believe. I haven't tried to put it into low. It than also "putts" when I accelerate. When in park it only does it when I apply very little pressure to the gas pedal, but once it's in the higher gears it goes away except sometimes while I'm driving it does that same thing and the engine "putts" along having a hard time accelerating to a higher speed. Now, this doesn't happen all the time some days she rides smooth. Is there anything in particular I should be looking at? I searched the site and saw people were having the same problem, but with newer cars so I didn't think the same tricks would apply. Also, the car when started emits a lot white smoke out the back. I'm pretty sure I need a new tailpipe could this be the reason the car is acting weird?

Edit-Thank you for all the help so far!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.