Hello! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Hello! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; How cold is it where you live in the morning? It's getting to that time of year where the cars ...
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    How cold is it where you live in the morning? It's getting to that time of year where the cars will smart smoking white out the tailpipe.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Re: Hello!

Find some ethanol-free gas, that may help.

KakthePoleCat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville
    Yeah its cold out here. I live in MN. I figured it may be pretty normal. It ran well yesterday, but today it would almost die when I accelerated. And did once at a stop sign. It starts back up fine, but when i would accelerate there was a pause like it was going to for and then it would catch. I was running late for work today though and only gave it a few minutes to warm up. Could I maybe have a problem with my carburetor? It feels like its not getting enough juice in the first gear, or like my idle is too low. I'm also suspecting that she just doesn't do well in the cold.

Cars with carbs are different to drive than fuel injected cars in the winter. Warm it up for 10 minutes before driving it when it is cold out, that should make a big difference. Get some carb cleaner and follow instructions and make sure the parts are moving freely. Check your air filter and make sure it is clean. If you can find fuel without ethanol that will help too. Check this site for locations: http://pure-gas.org/

Your 1979 Cadillac is now 33 years old. It was state of the day when it was new, but now it has age and miles and the car may need some basic maintenance to keep things moving smoothly. If you want the turn the key and go experience then you need a newer model with fuel injection, otherwise a little time and patience is all you need to make your 79 Cadillac work just fine.

Good luck!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Make sure the door in the air filter snorkel is closed on a cold start, make sure the hot air pipe is intact from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner snorkel. If hot air is not getting to the carb, it will bog. That door in the air cleaner requires vacuum to close it only while it warms up. Once the air filter temp is up, the door opens because of no vacuum applied. Often overlooked because you cannt see the door. I dont know whether I'd warm it up 10 minutes but once the heater is a little warm and the windshield is clear, drive it. God, its cold here, 51 degrees, clear skies, no wind! Might get down to 42 tonight. I have no idea what its like to really be cold. You might be able to watch that door with a mirror and the flex hose off the inlet. Should be open before you start the car, then close quickly once started, cold. Then slowly open as the air cleaner temp raises.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    ...I dont know whether I'd warm it up 10 minutes but once the heater is a little warm and the windshield is clear, drive it...
    Easy to say when you live in California. I lived in MN for many years, a 10 minute warm up in cold temperatures makes the car happy, and warm for the driver.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by KakthePoleCat
    Yeah its cold out here. I live in MN. I figured it may be pretty normal. It ran well yesterday, but today it would almost die when I accelerated. And did once at a stop sign. It starts back up fine, but when i would accelerate there was a pause like it was going to for and then it would catch. I was running late for work today though and only gave it a few minutes to warm up. Could I maybe have a problem with my carburetor? It feels like its not getting enough juice in the first gear, or like my idle is too low. I'm also suspecting that she just doesn't do well in the cold.
    Sounds like it didn't warm up enough.
    If after warming it up (about 10 minutes or until heat comes out vents- whichever comes first), the problem of stalling/ bogging on acceleration persists, you may need to adjust the carb a bit (I had the same problem with my 307 powered FWB, but I don't recall what my mechanic adjusted to make it go away)

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

He probably turned the choke coil cover 1 or 2 marks towards rich, essentially slowing the choke blade from going fully open too early.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

If the choke was working properly you should not have these issues. In a minute or two of warm-up (even in an early-morning frost) you should be ready to go just doing a smooth driving for the first 10 minutes.

KakthePoleCat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville

I've let it warm up for many different intervals of time the longest was close to an hour (Is that bad?) when I got off of work started my car and returned inside and had a few beers. But, I can't seem to place my finger on what is wrong because even after that the car still had/has trouble accelerating. And may die when put into gear unless you press down on the gas pedal right away. In park the engine runs great, but it's when I put it into gear the engine runs different. I bought some gumout ran it through my carburetor and I think that it helped, but didn't solve it. I had a friend just take a look at it and he suggested I buy a new spring and get some clamps for my hoses, so I did. I think it's called 'accelerator return spring' he said that it was too loose. It's under the part that holds the air filter right by the bigger of the two hoses. Didn't have time to put it on today, that will be tomorrows project before work.

I understand that old cars require more upkeep, but I am game for it. I am intrigued to find this door on the air filter snorkel. I can't quite say I know what that is. Seeing how the gumout helped it run better should I put a little more in?

Appreciate all the help once again guys! I have faith in your guys' Cadillac prowess so with my determination to get this baby running smooth it'll be accomplished. A trip to the mechanic might not hurt either! I will also be hunting down a service manual so I can better understand how the car runs. Also use correct names for things so I don't sound like the rookie I am!

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

You have on Ebay several available at good prices (paper or CD): http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...rror&_osacat=0 (Exclude the Chilton. Itīs too generic). Better original Cadillac manual or this same one scanned on CD.

A good carb cleaning is always advisable. Maybe the problem comes from accelerator pump. The shop manual will guide you to adjust properly all the parts of the carb.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.