What are your favorite "Classic" Cadillacs? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, What are your favorite "Classic" Cadillacs? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I like any and all from when they started to use a steel wheel until they got into the plastic/fiberglass/whatever ...
    SWEENDOG1969 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90k 1969 Cadillac Hardtop Sedan Deville

Re: What are your favorite "Classic" Cadillacs?

I like any and all from when they started to use a steel wheel until they got into the plastic/fiberglass/whatever filler pieces between the body and bumper and around the tail light and rear bumper that likes to become brittle and break.
    70eldo and 70eldo like this.

akaBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 conv 58 CdV 60 conv 67/69 Eldos 67 CdV 72 CdV MORE!

Vewwy intewesting re/ the Calais discussion. . . . The irony of the "lowest investment" buy-in model having as many options as the highest-- but o'er the years, I've noticed many items deleted (to save $26, for example) while tacking on A/C or somesuch. The 58 "62" has power vents, for example. Guess it speaks to that "Cadillac owners are real characters" thing we've discussed. I once mentioned thatI want to install factory air in the Six-Zero. The response: "Why do you want air conditioning in a convertible?"

Seems like Bro is a member of the bar (same bar as Doug got his information in?), But good question...I ALWAYS cite my sources. . .. most of the time . . .. When you are older, I'll tell you why I have Jerry Lewis's Seville wheelcovers. Anecdotal, but true. . . .

----------

Hmmmm. Soun' like somebody was havin' a personal experience there, SWEENDOG, Not the wheel thing, but the filler panel thang. I'm planning to make a few sets from aluminum. I know. . . I'll take my chances at getting bumped.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by SWEENDOG1969
    I like any and all from when they started to use a steel wheel until they got into the plastic/fiberglass/whatever filler pieces between the body and bumper and around the tail light and rear bumper that likes to become brittle and break.
    Having one of those caddys with brittle fillers, it was not a deterrant to me (it just meant I got it cheaper ). I have a set of fillers ready to be painted and installed when my brougham gets back home. I will say- without intact fillers, the car does look ratty.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by SWEENDOG1969
    Having one of those caddys with brittle fillers, it was not a deterrant to me (it just meant I got it cheaper ). I have a set of fillers ready to be painted and installed when my brougham gets back home. I will say- without intact fillers, the car does look ratty.

Yeah, Kev--they downright UGLY! Looks like they are ready for the Demo Derby (a frequently suggested use for my rigs when they are seen in public). My response? "Right! Maybe I should do a test run. Where are you parked?" Can't tell you how often I detailed a car after buying it, only to see the astonished previous owner say, "I sold you THAT??" The climate must be pretty good in MO for those panels. Back east, they break in the cold and out here, they bake until they are crispy, brittle critturs.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBC
    Yeah, Kev--they downright UGLY! Looks like they are ready for the Demo Derby (a frequently suggested use for my rigs when they are seen in public). My response? "Right! Maybe I should do a test run. Where are you parked?" Can't tell you how often I detailed a car after buying it, only to see the astonished previous owner say, "I sold you THAT??" The climate must be pretty good in MO for those panels. Back east, they break in the cold and out here, they bake until they are crispy, brittle critturs.
    Nope- same here in MO. I bought my car in 2010 with mostly intact panels (with 63k miles for 1500 because it had some body damage and smelled like a bowling alley inside). First time I washed the car (in the summer), one of the quarter panel fillers broke when the water hit it. Then over the next month, the front panels cracked and lost pieces (they were so busted up I just took them off) and the other rear filler collapsed. My intact panels are from local junkyard cars (took me 2 years to find 1.5 sets of filler panels in the local yards.)

Dollar Bill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Eldo ETC, 1956 CDV, 1958 Biarritz

Two of my favorites are

2001 Eldorado Etc, (coup) triple black
    1958 Eldorado Bairritz (convert) in Dakota Red
    Bro-Ham and Bro-Ham like this.

Corey468 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

For me, it depends.
    Chauffeur Driven: Any of the 1966-1976 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limousines

Me Driving:
    74-76 Cadillac Fleetwood Broughams
    74 Cadillac Eldorado.
    I love how the '74 Eldorado's combine both the early 70's fender skirts and round headlights, while also having the mid-70's interior.
    Bro-Ham and Bro-Ham like this.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    OK, so I get that "allegedly" there were loaded Calais models produced in 76. When you say "factory line workers have stated" are you referring to a documented fact or is this anecdotal?
    I read an article in an SME publication on manufacturing planning and this was given as an example. 1976 was a banner year with over 300k examples built, as they had expected it to be. Yet the Calais was still at the bottom sales wise, with about 1700 sedans and 4500 Coupes built for the year. Compare that with over 114,000 Coupe DeVilles, 67,000 Sedan DeVilles, heck - even my beloved Z code Commercial Chassis had 1500 built!

Someone had asked if there were enough parts to keep them on the road seeing as drastic changes were coming for GM, and General Manager Lundzt and stated that GM had enough parts to build another 10,000 Eldorado Convertibles alone, as they wanted these cars to stay on the road as long as possible.

Well, near the end of the '76 run, they were outfitting the last run of Calais with things that never before appeared. I can personally attest to seeing an Innsbruck Blue '76 Calais Coupe with a sunroof, tilt/telescope wheel, and 8 track tape system, so it's not inconceivable that some might have had all the goodies available.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    I read an article in an SME publication on manufacturing planning and this was given as an example. 1976 was a banner year with over 300k examples built, as they had expected it to be. Yet the Calais was still at the bottom sales wise, with about 1700 sedans and 4500 Coupes built for the year. Compare that with over 114,000 Coupe DeVilles, 67,000 Sedan DeVilles, heck - even my beloved Z code Commercial Chassis had 1500 built!

Someone had asked if there were enough parts to keep them on the road seeing as drastic changes were coming for GM, and General Manager Lundzt and stated that GM had enough parts to build another 10,000 Eldorado Convertibles alone, as they wanted these cars to stay on the road as long as possible.

Well, near the end of the '76 run, they were outfitting the last run of Calais with things that never before appeared. I can personally attest to seeing an Innsbruck Blue '76 Calais Coupe with a sunroof, tilt/telescope wheel, and 8 track tape system, so it's not inconceivable that some might have had all the goodies available.
    Thanks for clarifying. I get curious when folks make claims that don't make much sense, and I like to think we try to have some semblance of historical accuracy so our forum is of value to the car enthusiast community who may refer to what we share.

From the numbers it is apparent that there weren't many orders for the final year of the base model Calais. So, your assertion that there were Calais models produced at the end of he model year with "every option box checked on the orders" doesn't seem like a car that a Cadillac dealer would voluntarily order for inventory, unless Cadillac was literally giving away all those extra options as an incentive to buy that unpopular model. And that made me think that a logical Cadillac dealer of the time presumably being offered a special deal from the factory on blow out discounted huge amounts of extra options, or being forced to put extra options on cars for inventory, would want that equipment on a model they could actually sell like a last of the line 76 Fleetwood Brougham, or, most sensibly, the super popular, and highest selling Coupe deVille, which was known as "America's Favorite Luxury Car."

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I don't know how things were done back then, but when I was ordering "spec" cars for the lot a decade later I would often order a base model Grand Prix/Cutlass, or Parisienne and load it up with all the options. Also would exclude vinyl tops or wire wheel covers.

The name of the game in my day, 80-86, was to build a car that customers would shop/compare with the dealer down the street and be able to buy for less money. Little tricks like that would often make the couple hundred difference to bring them back to our lot. It also enabled some who were stretching to get a lux model to get one in their budget.

At the end of a model year most dealers stop ordering a lot of spec cars and are waiting for the new one to come out with different grille and tail lights, manufactures would not idle the assembly lines but instead would continue to produce and hold cars. If the next year model was not going to offer a certain engine or other odd option like when T tops were dropped, it was common for them to build out of over supply of those items. Then they would convince dealers to order them.

They had many ways to do that. If you submitted an order for a car late in model year they would put an option on hold for a month so your customers car would come in late and then send a list of similar cars on their lot available now. Also if there was a hot seller like the Fiero, Anniversary Firebird, or 6000 STE, etc. they would tie your getting them to buying up end of year surplus.

When your only source of supply is a single manufacturer they probably have some leverage.

SWEENDOG1969 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90k 1969 Cadillac Hardtop Sedan Deville

No personal experience,however I have seen many a Cadillac (a lot of other cars also) with broken filler panels. if you could even make new plastic ones...I think the main problem with anything is it ages and gets brittle, and either an impact or getting wet causes the break and one it starts the part is weakened.

Quote Originally Posted by akaBC View Post
    Vewwy intewesting re/ the Calais discussion. . . . The irony of the "lowest investment" buy-in model having as many options as the highest-- but o'er the years, I've noticed many items deleted (to save $26, for example) while tacking on A/C or somesuch. The 58 "62" has power vents, for example. Guess it speaks to that "Cadillac owners are real characters" thing we've discussed. I once mentioned thatI want to install factory air in the Six-Zero. The response: "Why do you want air conditioning in a convertible?"

Seems like Bro is a member of the bar (same bar as Doug got his information in?), But good question...I ALWAYS cite my sources. . .. most of the time . . .. When you are older, I'll tell you why I have Jerry Lewis's Seville wheelcovers. Anecdotal, but true. . . .

----------

Hmmmm. Soun' like somebody was havin' a personal experience there, SWEENDOG, Not the wheel thing, but the filler panel thang. I'm planning to make a few sets from aluminum. I know. . . I'll take my chances at getting bumped.

Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by Corey468 View Post
    For me, it depends.
    Chauffeur Driven: Any of the 1966-1976 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limousines
    Now you're talking! My choice, too. For being chauffeured around in, any pre-'77 Fleetwood 75 Limousine, but especially the '66-'76.

And, um. . .in the interest of historical accuracy, Bro, did you list your age correctly? . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by akaBC View Post
    And, um. . .in the interest of historical accuracy, Bro, did you list your age correctly? . . . . .
    It is historically accurate. How historical are you?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.