New Owner Red 1970 Deville Convertible - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, New Owner Red 1970 Deville Convertible in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am having some belts made for the pieces of the front seat belt that I am missing. Can anyone ...
    klinebau is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible Red

Re: New Owner Red 1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible

I am having some belts made for the pieces of the front seat belt that I am missing. Can anyone measure the belt length for the female side (receiver) of seat belt? I am looking for a length from the end of the anchor to the end of the buckle. I think the length should be 31 inches, but not positive. I am assuming the driver side and passenger side are the same length, but confirmation of that would also be helpful.

I tried to figure it out by measuring some of the belts I found on ebay. I get measurements anywhere between 20 and 31 inches. If anyone can measure this, I would be extremely grateful.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Today I went to the parking where my '69 SDV is.

I measured the female side of the belt from end of anchor to the end of buckle: 83 cm = 32,68 inches. Considering my measuring can not be totally accurate, as the belt passes through a hole in the seat and through the buckle to be adjusted, I think 31 inches could be right. In case of doubt, better get a longer belt, as you can adjust length at the buckle. Passenger and driver are the same length.

Thank you again! Now I can have these belt and get one step closer to being on the road.

disturbio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 DeVille convertible, 72 sdv - RIP

Did you get Rosie up to snuff?

Rosie is a work in progress. The motor is finally in good running order and the seat belt issue is resolved. The main things that have to be done to make her drivable are suspension and steering related. She shakes a bit when go faster than about 35-40. The front springs need to be replaced along with all the bushings/ball joints in the front control arms. If that doesn't cure the the shaking, I may also have to replace the drag link and idler arm. I suppose wheel bearings are also a possibility. This is what I will complete in the next month or so.

She needs a new top, but that is going to have to wait until I can build up my savings. Unfortunately I had a major transmission failure in my daily driver and had to use some $$ earmarked for Rosie. I may try to install a top myself if it works out well for another member (smelvis).

I need to clean/adjust the power windows as most of them are slow and I should do the same with the seat transmissions. These are lower priority items as the car will still be drivable.

smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by klinebau
    Rosie is a work in progress. The motor is finally in good running order and the seat belt issue is resolved. The main things that have to be done to make her drivable are suspension and steering related. She shakes a bit when go faster than about 35-40. The front springs need to be replaced along with all the bushings/ball joints in the front control arms. If that doesn't cure the the shaking, I may also have to replace the drag link and idler arm. I suppose wheel bearings are also a possibility. This is what I will complete in the next month or so.

She needs a new top, but that is going to have to wait until I can build up my savings. Unfortunately I had a major transmission failure in my daily driver and had to use some $$ earmarked for Rosie. I may try to install a top myself if it works out well for another member (smelvis).

I need to clean/adjust the power windows as most of them are slow and I should do the same with the seat transmissions. These are lower priority items as the car will still be drivable.
    Oh boy the pressure is on!

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

I just got a 70 CDV hardtop yesterday. Starting to go thru it. It has an exhaust leak that has to be fixed as well as a few other items to get it to pass inspection. My Front windows do not work but the rear ones do so I need to figue that out and the a/c blows only on low which wouldn't be so bad if the windows went down! The seat works intermitently so will have to figure that out but looks like it is run of of spedo cables under there. Have a feelin I will be on this forum a lot.
    My picture is too big to attach and I can't figure out how to put the picture in the text but will try later.

Jeff

Welcome! We look forward to seeing your progress. Start a new thread and post some pictures of your new baby.

Its been a while since I posted an update...

I've been working on the front suspension for most of the Summer. I ended up pulling everything off including stabilizer bar, control arms, springs, steering knuckles, hubs/disks, calipers, strut bars. I sand-blasted the control arms, knuckles, strut rods and stabilizer bar and repainted them. I also put in new springs/shocks (stock height), ball joints and bushings all around. I also replaced the brake calipers and repacked the wheel bearings with grease. This effort took almost the whole Summer, but due to job situation, I only had a few hours available per week to work on it.

I've finally gotten it all back together, but I haven't gotten an alignment yet. It drives much better, but I still have a little shimmy at certain speeds. I am hoping that the alignment will take care of that problem, but I am worried that I am going to be replacing the steering linkage next.

This job was mostly straight-forward. The sandblasting and painting took a while, but the bushings and ball joints were pretty easy to remove and press in. I made the tool in the service manual for extracting the upper control arm bushings which made that job really easy. The main problem that I ran into were with the holes in the left spring tower in the frame. Whoever previously removed the control arm installed the bolts upside down and loose so that the upper arm moved around and elongated the holes in the frame. It probably should be welded, but I was able to cut a piece of metal to perfectly fit the slot and it is sandwiched between a washer underneath and the upper arm pivot. I don't think it will be moving again. The other problem was that the threads in the frame for the stabilizer mount on the left side stripped. They must have already been bad, because I was only torquing it to the spec from the service manual. This problem was easily solved by drilling out the holes and using nuts on the other side of the frame. I was luck that there was easy access.

Here are a few pictures of the painted parts with new bushings/ball joints installed. I will snap a few more pictures with the parts installed later.

P7273920.JPG

P7273921.JPG
    CADforce69 likes this.

twiztedlacs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Convertible
    You should definitely have the alignment performed since you did all that suspension work but typically a shimmy is caused by tires being out of balance.
    Does shimmy happen while braking or does it happen just driving? Does shimmy go away after certain speed or between certain speeds?

Definitely planning for an alignment and I will have them balance all of the wheels as well. I just have to find some time to take it in.

In the meantime, I've been working on cleaning up a few other nagging problems. Had to replace the ignition coil as the old one was leaking oil. I'm also trying smooth out the idle and get running better in general. It seems like I might have a slight lean misfire at idle and am adjusting the mixture screws to correct that. Right now the screws are out about 4.5 turns. I suspect that there might still be a vacuum leak somewhere. I tested the vacuum advance by sucking on the hose. I can get it to move, but it leaks down after about 6-7 seconds. I am assuming that the advance shouldn't leak down at all and that it should be replaced, but let me know if this is not true. I don't know much this will help as there shouldn't be much signal using the ported vacuum at idle. I'm gonna spray some carb cleaner around to see if I can find other leaks.

Started her up last night and went for a quick spin. She is idling way to rich now judging by the exhaust smell. I will have to start over and readjust. I assumed the previous idle setting was too lean as the exhaust was making soft "poofing" sounds, but maybe there is something else going on. I've been setting the idle using only a tach and instructions from the service manual, but I might need to get a vacuum gauge.

I ordered a new vac advance as it seems the old one is leaking. This probably won't help the idle, but am hoping this will make it run better everywhere else.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

On the engine bogging at acceleration you might want to check your secondary valves of the carb. If they are too loose (they are spring loaded), then it grasps too much air at acceleration. Hence the bogging at high acceleration and normal at slow acceleration. I had the same issue.

On the driver side of the carb under the axle of the secondary valve is a small screw that fixes the arm that touches the rotary spring on the axle. If the tension is off (too loose) or the screw is loose completely the secondaries open too soon or don't even close at all.

The secondaries should be closed when the engine is off or idling. Mine were loose (the spring was broken) so the engine bogged at harder acceleration and even stalled completely at full throttle.

Here are some new dark red safety belts:
    http://www.opgi.com/cadillac/1970/interior-accessories/seat-accessories/46323/

T
    hey have the anchor bolts too.

On the child seats: I couldn't take the 1 year old along until she was big enough for the size I seat. The size 0 seat only worked with a 3 point safety belt or Isofix. Now the kids are in a size I and size II seat that I can at least fix with the lap belt. The size I seat has its own belts to secure the kid. The size II seat needs the actual safety belt to secure the kid.
    I already bought the shoulder belts for the rear seats (which were optional for 1970). I still need to locate the original thread hole in the C pillar for the anchor bolt for which I need to remove the liner.

I also considered creating a custom isofix construction (they are called LATCH achors in the US) fixed to the original safety belt anchor bolts (or I will drill new holes) for increased safety. You don't have to worry about getting it checked, because the whole thing is not mandatory for classic cars anyway. I will use it additionally to the safety belts.

If you get to replacing the top make sure you bring patience. It is alright to take at least 5 times to get it all aligned and straight.

----------

I guess I should've read the prior pages before I posted. Seems like your carb problem has been solved. What brand is that carb you bought? Mind you the Rochester 4 barrel is about the best you can get for your engine (yes, better than Edelbrock and other performance brands).

Also read you already found the safety belts.

Re: New Owner Red 1970 Deville Convertible

I have a rebuilt Quadrajet and I am quite happy with it. The car had a Quadrajet from a Buick when I bought it and rather than try to mess with it, I just bought a rebuilt one. I am working on dialing it in a bit more, but it already is pretty good.

I have the seat belts, but I haven't installed them on the passenger side yet because the holes/pass-through/guides are missing. I think the seats must have been recovered with vinyl at some point.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.