New Owner Red 1970 Deville Convertible - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, New Owner Red 1970 Deville Convertible in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Cool, sounds like some good progress and sound diagnosis!...
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: New Owner Red 1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible

Cool, sounds like some good progress and sound diagnosis!

klinebau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible Red

It turns out that the no heat situation was related to this dohickey (power servo)
    PA313113.JPG

The fix turned out to be really simple. I just had to rearrange the vacuum lines to the correct ports on the power servo. Apparently someone put them on incorrectly. A few weeks ago I fixed the blower by fixing the disconnected ground on the relay. I now have a fully functional climate control system. For all I know, the AC might actually blow cold air, but I disconnected the compressor for now in case the pressure is low and unable to provide proper oiling.

The next priority is to fix the valve cover leak. Hopefully parts will come in so I can work on it over the weekend. I noticed that the instrument lamp fuse is missing, but the instrument lamps are working. I will probably disassemble some of the dash to make sure that fuse isn't being bypassed somehow. Also, I want to replace the radiator and heater hoses, but I forgot to order a thermostat and gasket.

Still lots to do before spring:

valve cover gaskets
    radiator/heater hoses + thermostat
    front seat belts
    fix broken rear seat frame
    possible instrument light fuse bypass
    fix burned out light bulbs interior and exterior
    power seat transmissions
    slow moving power windows
    replace power steering gear
    refresh drag link/tie rods/idler arm
    new tires/ alignment
    rebuild suspension (if time available)

HerbertPhillips is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1966 deville

Hi,

I just purchased a 1966 Deville convertible here in Memphis,tn. Its a nice, original car with 75k miles. I have been enjoying it this fall immensely . Today while operating the power top, something blew, I thought a fuse? Now my top, seats, and windows will not work. None of the fuses in the fuse panel appear to be bad. Where is the circuit breaker located? I'm guessing thats the culprit? Nothing has power? Any insight would be so greatly appreciated.

For 1970, the seats, windows and top are connected to a 40 amp circuit breaker. The breaker fits in the fuse panel and looks like a small metal box with two tabs to connect in the fuse panel. The breaker is supposed to automatically reset after a few minutes if it exceeds its current rating. I am not sure if this is the same for 1966, but possibly someone replaced the circuit breaker with a regular fuse on your vehicle. I would check the wiring diagrams in the service manual for your vehicle.

I fixed a few burned out light bulbs yesterday and then we took the car out for a little cruise. We ended up going about 30 miles, but towards the end I let me wife drive. From a slow roll, she took it WOT to about 50 mph. At that point, the engine started to bog and eventually stalled. We were able to stop safely and it took a few cranks to get the car started again. My thought is that this is a fuel flow problem. I still haven't replaced the kinked fuel line from pump to carb and was wondering when this problem might affect me. I believe that the carb was starved for fuel, but let me know if I should consider other causes. Other than that particular incident, the motor seemed to run pretty smooth (before and after).

This little drive uncovered a couple of new issues that I need help with:
    - It looks like the battery tray is pretty well corroded with rust holes. While replacing some bulbs, I had to remove the battery. Am I gonna have any luck finding a better one from a junk yard or should I pay someone to weld in a patch (not even sure if possible)?
    - The hazard/flasher knob is missing from the steering column. We found that out while stalled in the middle of the road. Can I get one from another type of vehicle?

SWEENDOG1969 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90k 1969 Cadillac Hardtop Sedan Deville

How well did the reman carb work? I got a remaned one and it was horrible..like stack fire horrible. Had to have it rerebuilt by someone that knows what they are doing and he said they hacked the carb up when they rebuilt it to fit the "rebuild" parts. I also found when my doorlocks,courtesy lights,brake lights,and windows didnt work the fusable link under the car melted either from the exhaust or ?. I would try a self resetable relay instead of oreilly/autozone fusable links (they are not enought amps).

I have to say that I was really happy with the rebuilt carb I received. I used a company called Carburetor Exchange (http://www.carb-x.com/). The carburetor I received wasn't perfect, but I went through service manual to verify operation and external measurements. The only problems I found were with the fitment of secondary air doors (they bound up a little bit) and a missing secondary air valve lockout tang. The air doors were pretty easy to correct with a little repositioning and the secondary air valve lockout was corrected by stealing the parts from the old carb. The lockout tang isn't strictly needed for proper operation, but I am trying to keep close to stock. The only other problem I ran into was with the fuel inlet fitting. The rebuilt carb used a 1" fitting with a 5/8" threaded inverted flare fitting. On my vehicle, the fuel line is 5/16" and requires a 1/2" inverted flare fitting. I could not find the proper fitting and had to instead use an adapter to step down to the proper size. You can see this in one of the pictures I posted previously.

Once I hooked everything up, the car started right up and has been working fine with no other adjustments. The throttle response feels like a brand new car. When I bought the car it supposedly already had a rebuilt carb, but it was really messed up and I wouldn't have ever been able to fix properly.
    SWEENDOG1969 and SWEENDOG1969 like this.

I am replacing the hoses for the heater and radiator and want to do a complete flush. Where are the engine block coolant plugs located so that I can drain that section?

I found the drain plugs... good thing because a lot more coolant came out. If anyone cares, they are located on the bottom of each side of the block and are right above the oil pan. They are 1/8" NPT threaded bolts. I used a little thread sealer when replacing, but not sure if really necessary.

I just got back from the taking the car for a quick spin. All is working fine with the new hoses, thermostat and coolant flush. I am still having trouble with an oil leak. The oil seems to be coming from the intake manifold right underneath where the ignition coil high tension wire plugs in. Is it possible that the intake manifold is leaking oil? I wouldn't have thought that there was enough pressure there. Should I try tightening the bolts in that area some (I don't think they are loose)? Should I just bite the bullet and replace the intake manifold gasket? It doesn't look hard, but I am sure that manifold is heavy and I will need help getting it out.

I haven't made much progress in the last week. Last week I finished up replacing the steering gear and power steering hoses. The new gear works without any leaks, but I have a much quicker steering ratio than the previous unit. The steering is heavier but more responsive... it should work fine. The alignment is really screwed up (was like that when purchased) so it is hard to really tell what it will be like during normal driving. I am planning to replace the front suspension so have been holding off on getting an alignment done.

In the next week I hope to replace the intake manifold gasket to fix the oil leak on top of the motor. If I feel ambitious, I might take some measurements and adjust the alignment to make it more drivable.

I noticed that I am missing the windshield washer nozzles. It looks like they attach to underside of hood but I can't seem to locate replacements. Anyone have any ideas for replacement options?

I finished replacement of the intake manifold gasket over the weekend. I didn't have any vacuum leaks, but it was leaking oil. Although it was a pain to do, I am really glad that I did. While I had everything apart, I was able to inspect the timing chain and cam gear. It looks like this has been replaced (see picture) and it gives me some peace of mind. I suspected this might be the case because there was evidence that the timing cover had been re-sealed. Also, it explains why the crank pulley/balancer was installed incorrectly.

I re-assembled everything on Saturday since it was a bit warmer and took it out for test drive. No leaks, but I want to re-torque the bolts after heat-cycling. I also wanted to switch over the vacuum advance to use straight manifold vacuum. The car didn't seem to idle correctly after doing this (yes, I plugged the carb port) and it almost seemed to have a miss. I didn't have a lot of time to tune, so I put it back to ported vacuum and it works fine now. Its possible that I knocked a plug wire loose from the distributor, but is there something else I am forgetting? I am under the impression that the car will run better using manifold vacuum. I'll try again later when there is another warm day.

P1133524.JPG
    P1133530.JPG

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by klinebau View Post

I noticed that I am missing the windshield washer nozzles. It looks like they attach to underside of hood but I can't seem to locate replacements. Anyone have any ideas for replacement options?
    Today I took off my '69īs nozzles as they were clogged so the washer could not work although the pump seemed to work ok. I made some pics. I hope they help you:

This is a general view. driver side hose is already off:

pic hosting

This is a detail of the driver side nozzle still attached by the hexagonal screw:

image upload

images

Both nozzles off before and after a quick cleaning:

upload photos

photo sharing websites

Itīs funny but almost every model has its own nozzles (even GM models of those years). Anyway, you can always adapt some similar. Now for sale on Ebay a complete (used) set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-19...a7da9d&vxp=mtr

Nozzles can be easily unclogged using a pin or a needle, then spraying some water back and forth until the debris inside is dragged (I used my mouth).

Wow, your post was really helpful and I can't believe you just sent me that link! I purchased the set. I've been looking for months, but apparently I wasn't using the correct search terms. I thought I was going to have to adapt something.
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Iīm glad I could help you to solve the problem

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.