New Owner Red 1970 Deville Convertible - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, New Owner Red 1970 Deville Convertible in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I know that is something that needs to be checked. Getting the hub off the crank looks like a real ...
    klinebau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible Red

Re: New Owner Red 1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible

I know that is something that needs to be checked. Getting the hub off the crank looks like a real PITA. I am "hoping" that the crank balancer being off 180 degrees is evidence that it might have already been changed.

Do you think this set of seat belts from a 69 Camaro would work (minus the retractors) for my 70 Deville? I already have the retractors, so possibly I could use the remaining pieces of the set. This set on eBay is not in great shape, but at least want to know if it is an option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-red-d...sories&vxp=mtr

Thygo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1967 Sedan Deville

I think it would work. Did you have any luck with the used parts guys in Arizona? Email Kristi Brake <azcadillacparts555@gmail.com> see if they can help you.

I couldn't figure out why the throttle linkage on my vehicle looks different than some of the others I've seen for the same year. Although the model number stamped on the carb is correct, it finally occurred to me that the base plate (throttle body) is wrong and does not match. As a result, the throttle shaft is wrong and it also explains why the power brake port is too small (1/4"). I broke down and ordered a new (rebuilt) carburetor last night. I think this was the best decision because I also suspected that the accelerator pump wasn't working right. I might have been able to fix power brake port by drilling and tapping for a new fitting. I could also have fixed the accelerator pump, but there is nothing I could do to fix the throttle shaft.

I am frustrated with these setbacks as this is costing money that I would have preferred to spend in other areas, but the most important part for me is that the motor runs well. On a positive note, I found and fixed another vacuum leak (broken nipple on the vacuum distribution block on firewall) that was likely contributing to the performance problems I've been seeing.

When I get the new carburetor, I am going to plumb the extra lines for the thermal vacuum switch and replace the kinked fuel line. I've already decided that I will not add the transmission controlled spark (TCS) solenoid because the unit is missing and relatively expensive to buy. Also, it seems that this device can only hurt performance. The only advantage that I see is for emissions and it probably doesn't help that much. Let me know if there is another reason I should add it back in.

CADforce69 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by klinebau View Post
    Do you think this set of seat belts from a 69 Camaro would work (minus the retra-ctors) for my 70 Deville? I already have the retractors, so possibly I could use the remaining pieces of the set. This set on eBay is not in great shape, but at least want to know if it is an option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-red-d...sories&vxp=mtr
    They look similar and being that same year they probably fit but when you fill the compatibility window with 69-70 cadillac the application says itīs not compatible

Dirtywaterdiver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Convertible

here are a few options for seat belts. USA Parts has a few different colors.

http://www.usapartssupply.com/

http://www.kanter.com///gallery.aspx...t=0&MSb=0&Prc=

http://www.opgi.com/p/interior-trim/...28/463230.html

I never use the middle front seat belts so maybe you won't have to buy those. Did you already buy a new carb? I have a completely rebuilt Q-Jet that I replaced with an Edelbrock collecting dust.

I didn't have much time to work on Rosie this weekend. I started going through the HVAC system. After fixing the vac leak from the distribution block/check valve on the firewall, it seems that it mostly works. I also fixed a ground for the blower relay and now that kicks on. The heater switch on the cylinder head is missing, but it looks like I can connect the wire to ground to allow the heat to kick on (will be missing the delay feature).

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtywaterdiver View Post
    I never use the middle front seat belts so maybe you won't have to buy those. Did you already buy a new carb? I have a completely rebuilt Q-Jet that I replaced with an Edelbrock collecting dust.
    I did already buy a rebuilt carb, but am still waiting for it and the fuel line to come in. Too bad I didn't check with you earlier.

Thanks all for the links for seat belts. I ordered one belt to see if I like the function, style and color. I'll take pictures if it it looks like it might work. I will probably start to work on some of the interior bits. One of the seat motors may not be working. Also, most of the windows and convertible top will trip the circuit breaker multiple times on the way down/up. I need to pull everything apart and lube them up. I might have to replace the circuit breaker-- do they go bad?[COLOR="Silver"]

Quote Originally Posted by P.Katson View Post
    As a sidenote: You mentioned you want to keep the car original, I may have a set of correct '70 hubcaps. They were a one-year-only style for '70. Looks like you have one 68-69 style and one 74-75 style.
    BTW, I might be interested in these, but I am not sure how to send private messages here.

To PM somebody just put your mouse cursor over their profile name on their Post and if they included an e-mail (you did not) just click on the Private Message icon

I removed the rear bench seat last night and I was surprised to find all the rear seat belts there and intact. They are dirty and need cleaning, but at least I won't need to purchase seat belts in the rear. I am still missing the buckles (female end) in the front, but I am hopeful that I have a solution for that as I mentioned previously. The main problem with the rear seat is that the frame is broken in three areas. I am going to find someone to weld them-- can't imagine it is a difficult job.

I found another funny thing while troubleshooting the convertible top, windows and power seats. I don't know why, but I pulled out the circuit breaker and I discovered that it is rated for 8.25 amps. It is supposed to be 40 amps. When I replace that, it will solve many of my problems. I will still have to clean and lube the power seat mechanisms and window mechanisms, but I think the top is going to work without further issue. Apparently the top mechanism is only pulling a bit more than 8.25 amps as it works (albeit slowly) with the current breaker.

I also discovered that there is an automatic unlocking mechanism for the front seat backs. I am working on getting that to work. I am missing the manual release lever on the passenger side and its been a nuisance. I can't believe all the little do-dads that this car has. I expect to make a lot of progress over the next few days once the parts start coming in.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtywaterdiver View Post
    To PM somebody just put your mouse cursor over their profile name on their Post and if they included an e-mail (you did not) just click on the Private Message icon
    I must be an idiot, but I don't see a private message icon for any user. In the settings, it seems like I should be set up to allow private messaging. My email address is correct (needed for sign-up) and I've enabled the options to allow private messaging.

I must be an idiot, but I don't see a private message icon for any user

No it is not you. It seems to come and go. last night when I dragged my cursor over our profile names in the left hand corner of our posts a box would drop down with several icons including PM, now, not there?????

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I just left clicked over both of yours and it was there for me?

CADforce69 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by klinebau View Post
    BTW, I might be interested in these, but I am not sure how to send private messages here.
    You may check this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-VINTAGE-CA...item19d590cb3e
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Cadilla...34f2b4&vxp=mtr

----------

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    I just left clicked over both of yours and it was there for me?
    I can see the pm button for all of you except for klinebau. Maybe he has not written enough posts yet. The mod of this section could confirm.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Ma bad!
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

I received the new (rebuilt) carburetor and I attempted to install it, but ran into a few snags.

1. The new carb has a 1" threaded fitting for the fuel inlet with a 5/8" double flare for the fuel line. This would work fine for a 3/8" fuel line, but apparently I have a 5/16" fuel line and need a 1/2" double flare fitting. Not sure what to do here unless I replace the fuel line.
    2. The new carb has an additional 1/4" vacuum port between the PCV and spark advance port. Anyone know what that port is used for? I can cap it if necessary, but would like to know why it's there. I was under the impression that the thermal vacuum switch was tee'd to the vacuum break line for manifold vacuum.
    3. The new carb doesn't have a hot idle compensator. I could send the carb back, but would like to know if this is really needed.

Its been a while since I posted and thought I would give an update. The truth is, I haven't really had much time to do much. I did find an adapter and was able to connect the fuel line to the carburetor. There are no leaks and it was immediately apparent upon startup that the car performed much better. After adjusting the idle speed, idle mixture and the timing I went for a short test drive and was amazed... instant throttle response and more engine power. At this point I think I'm getting 100% power out of the engine.

Of course, this was not without the discovery of new issues. The throttle rod was too short and made the accelerator stick a bit in low throttle angles. The choke was a bit weak and had trouble starting in 50-60 degree weather. Strangely enough, it was easier to start in colder temperatures. Also, the very small valve cover leak has gotten much worse and now the car is not really drivable until I fix that.

I decided that I can do without the hot idle compensator and probably isn't needed unless extending idling in hot weather with the A/C on full blast. I probably won't ever get to fixing the A/C anyway. The other port on the carburetor was probably for EGR which isn't used on the '7-- I just plugged it. With these rebuilt carbs, who really knows what year the throttle body came from.

With the 40 amp circuit breaker installed, I am able to raise and lower the top without any pauses. Same with the windows, although they are slow. The seat motors work, but not in all the positions. I am going to have to take a look at the transmissions. My next priority will be to get heat working so that I can install new coolant and heater hoses and effectively purge air bubbles in the heater core.

Original carburetor (notice non-Cadillac throttle linkage and small power brake port)
    PA303062.JPG

New carburetor installed in engine bay
    PA303064.JPG
    PA303065.JPG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.